Gransnet forums

Relationships

DH’s friend made a pass at me, should I let it it go?

(132 Posts)
Margomar Sun 09-Apr-23 18:13:22

Every week my DH and I join an activity group, it’s very friendly with ages ranging from 18 -85. Last week, we’d just come in the hall and taken our coats off when this,
82 year old man who is very friendly with my DH, put his arm round me and dug his fingers into my side to tickle me. Then he said rather conspiratorially, “Ooh, I didn’t see your husband was there”
I was so taken aback I just moved away . I thought, he’s just an old man being playful, who still thinks it’s ok to touch a woman sexually, a bit of a dinosaur. (However, he used to teach in a university so you’d think he’d be more aware)
I’m 75, and honestly thought i was past having to worry about unwanted advances so am quite annoyed that this situation has arisen within a group activity that I really enjoy.
Should I just regard it as the action of a silly old creep? I wonder how others deal with older men who think it’s just a bit of fun?

Dickens Wed 12-Apr-23 20:24:36

Enidd

HiPpyChick57

Enidd

You did the right thing by moving away from. I’d continue to keep distance and forget about it. It’s probably just who he is, some flirty old guy.

Just some flirty old guy???
Aye and I’m just some feisty old girl who would knee him in the nuts if he put his hands on me!

@HippyChick; Sounds like rather an over reaction to a daft man! Hardly a predator 😂

Something similar happened to a woman I know. She'd recently come out of hospital after having had major surgery and was still nursing a wound dressing around her upper abdominal area. It was her first 'night out' and she'd dressed up for the occasion to make herself feel 'normal' again.

A man she knew, but not overly well, grabbed her around the waist and told her how "delightful" she looked. She was still very sore from the surgery and his little 'squeeze' hurt. And she told him off. Rightly.

That's just one good reason why men should keep their hands to themselves, predator or not, daft or not.

Oh, and some predatory men start their little escapades by being 'friendly' and hoping you won't make a fuss... or "over-react".

Wyllow3 Wed 12-Apr-23 22:05:42

FannyCornforth

I doubt if the op is even reading this.
She didn’t come back, did she?

Yup, interesting, huh? wind up?

Margomar Fri 14-Apr-23 17:34:52

I’ve been away and rather distracted, but have found responses here very helpful and mostly very thoughtful so thanks everybody. . Somebody asked “what group involves 18 -85 year olds?” Well, it’s a choir of about 30, The old duffer who thought it ok to touch me , followed by a slightly saucy innuendo ( he must be a fan of Benny Hill) is actually quite ill and as some have suggested could be be suffering onset of dementia. I will let it go( back to rehearsals next week) and will just avoid him. If he tries anything again I’ll make sure everyone hears my response!!

Hithere Fri 14-Apr-23 17:55:46

He needs to be reported to the choir management- dementia or not

He does it to you, he does it to others

If he is a danger to others, he shouldn't be in public w/o proper supervision

kircubbin2000 Wed 19-Apr-23 07:57:24

Some men can't read body language or perhaps just ignore it. I had offered some of my extra tomato plants to people in a group. The first man came round, had a tour of the garden and then as we were coming down steps, grabbed me from behind and hugged me. He was so embarrassed when I pulled away and we felt awkward the next time we met.
Another was very disappointed when I told him to call round any time as I had left his plants out at the door for him. I think he thought he would get more than plants.

Wyllow3 Wed 19-Apr-23 11:37:58

Thank you for the feedback Margomar. I think he needs to have someone with him as carer in those circs and I agree if it happens again to have word with choir manager for that end.