Gransnet forums

Relationships

I feel emotionally detached from my kids and grandchildren.

(78 Posts)
WhyWhyWhyohWhy Wed 31-May-23 15:15:03

First post so apologies if I did something wrong here.
It’s took a while and lots of thought to come to this conclusion but I really don’t feel a lot for one of my 4 offspring, his wife and 2 grandchildren. I’m sure that in some way I love them but I just don’t feel very strongly. The children are now 3 and 5 and belong to my DS and DIL who are mid to late 30’s professionals and frankly we have so little in common. Though we live quite close to each other we don’t see an awful lot of them to build a relationship unless they need babysitters due to their ‘busy lives’ however if I ask what they’ve done over the weekend they’ll say not a lot really which is a very non committed answer, later it will come out that they went to a place close to us where we might have met for a brief catch up.
My DIL is a nice person and we get on well, My DS has done well for himself and they seem to be quite happy together, I notice that my DS just goes along with everything that DIL wants, no longer sees his friends and is often left looking after the children whilst DIL is visiting her friends all over the country for the day often on a weekend. He does most of the cooking, washing and general running around after the kids as well as holding down a demanding full time job.
The couple have a very different parenting style to us in that whenever the children want to do something the parents always tell them it’s not safe. There are no toys in the garden for the kids to play with and the things we have purchased to bring fun into their lives are pretty quickly sent off to charity shops etc. They do take the kids out to a local play park, a museum or the theatre. It’s clear that the kids are pretty bored and can be a handful as a result. When we babysit we like to play, have fun with games, DH even has a bit of rough and tumble with them, we feel it’s important to help them learn to risk assess for themselves. When the parents come back obviously the kids will tell the parents what we have been up to to which my DIL will say “oh I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that” and we feel like naughty children ourselves. The five year old is scared of own shadow, has little confidence and is quite whiny and manipulative and seems to need the 3 year old for security, the 3 year old is quite Pleasant in nature but is often in the doghouse having been bubbled up for something by the 5 year old which provokes a reaction and a telling off by the parents.
I rightly keep my opinions to myself because the way they live their lives and raise their kids has nothing to do with me but I do wonder if not feeling anything much for them is normal. Obviously there is a lot more I could mention but it’s not meant as a character assassination of them rather a why do I feel the way I do about them because I feel quite bad about it as we have other grandchildren that we feel differently about.

Madgran77 Thu 01-Jun-23 11:31:29

the quote seems quite sensible to me
The quote may be sensible in some contexts but I'm not sure it is paricularly relevant to this OP considering her first and subsequent posts.

Smileless2012 Thu 01-Jun-23 11:34:34

I agree Madgran.

VioletSky Thu 01-Jun-23 16:07:11

Sorry some people didn't like the link

I liked it, it was shared by someone I follow as a positive thing to their followers (or, people interested in self improvement because that is what he writes about) and I saw it as helpful

OP states they already do this so that is a huge positive for them as something they also live by. Now it is available to anyone who would like to pass it on

GibraltarRock42 Fri 02-Jun-23 08:49:33

As a dil myself (now with teens), I always describe my in laws as ‘not necessarily my cup of tea but very nice people and have been supportive and kind grandparents’ - they are genuinely supportive and want to be involved. I also have a close family who can be trying at times. One thing I’ve encouraged my dh to do is visit his parents alone sometimes and without me (and when the kids were little with them too) - we would see them together as a family too, but sometimes I feel they open up to him when I’m not around, just like my Mum does when he’s not around, it’s a different dynamic. I get the opportunity for a quick coffee or lunch with my Mum as our schedules are more aligned but maybe when your dil is away or visiting friends, maybe a walk at a local park with ds and a cup of tea and cake. Maybe then the meet ups with your dil might happen a bit more ? I don’t know but again, don’t overthink it. I think a lot of men deal differently with their parents than women but I like to try to be fair but also encourage my dh to manage the in laws expectations so that every visit doesn’t need to be a ‘all family’ affair and that equally there is nothing to be read into this……

Smileless2012 Fri 02-Jun-23 12:01:28

Your parents in law have been blessed with you as their d.i.l. GibraltarRock and your post made me smile.

growstuff Fri 02-Jun-23 12:18:46

nanna8

I think what MOnica says is very sensible and that is exactly how I would deal with it. Don’t blame yourselves, just accept it is what it is and treat them all equally. I think that poem is, well, just plain nasty.

I don't think the quote is appropriate in this context, but I don't think it's nasty. I know somebody to whom it applies absolutely. I'd love to say something to this person, but I just keep on trying to smile sweetly.

Ironically, the person I know wonders why people stay clear and then accuses them of being nasty. It's because people aren't nasty that they don't have the courage to be honest about what would really help the situation and make everybody happier.

pascal30 Fri 02-Jun-23 12:35:03

Madgran77

*the quote seems quite sensible to me*
The quote may be sensible in some contexts but I'm not sure it is paricularly relevant to this OP considering her first and subsequent posts.

I was talking about the content of the quote which I didn't consider to be nasty..

lyleLyle Sat 03-Jun-23 03:37:45

I think you’re a bit too opinionated about their lives. Seems you disassociated yourself because they parent the way they want and likely do not seem interested in whether or not you approve or agree with them. Therefore, you distance yourself from them rather than accept that they choose to live and parent so far from what you would do. That seems more of a conscious choice than you’d like to admit. It bothers you that your son has chosen someone so far from you. It is possible you view their differences as a rejection of you, so you protect yourself by distancing emotionally. They likely feel it and keep you at arms length because it feels like the safest route. I can’t give you a fix for what appears to be more your own internal struggle than anything truly to do with them, but I can tell you that it is easier to stop examining their family life so closely. Remind yourself constantly that the things you are writing about here have nothing to do with you, and it should help at least compartmentalize your relationship with your grandchildren from your clear disdain for their mother.

Madgran77 Sat 03-Jun-23 07:20:45

*The quote may be sensible in some contexts but I'm

I was talking about the content of the quote which I didn't consider to be nasty..

Yes sorry pascal I understood your point and should have said that when commenting that the quote didn't seem relevant to the OPs situation, judging by the information she provided

pascal30 Sat 03-Jun-23 09:02:01

Madgran77

*The quote may be sensible in some contexts but I'm

Yes sorry pascal I understood your point and should have said that when commenting that the quote didn't seem relevant to the OPs situation, judging by the information she provided

I see you point too.x

DamaskRose Sat 03-Jun-23 10:32:00

M0nica

Oh dear, someone else loading all the blame on the grabdparent/parent again.

Always the same people too, it must be nice up there on the moral high ground …

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Jun-23 10:57:58

I'd rather be down here in the real world DamaskRose.

DamaskRose Sat 03-Jun-23 11:00:43

Smileless2012

I'd rather be down here in the real world DamaskRose.

Me too, Smileless2021!

lyleLyle Sat 03-Jun-23 11:59:46

I’m failing to see how any “blame” can be assigned to the young couple. They aren’t responsible for the OP’s feelings. They are raising their family how they see fit. She doesn’t approve. There is no “blaming” to be done anywhere. Adults are responsible for their own thoughts and feelings. Trying to find external reasons that have nothing to do with OP for her own disconnect from her family isn’t helpful. It is what it is. It’s just not right to try to pick apart the differences in parenting and living of this young couple from her own choices and assign negative value judgements to them. This is an internal issue. Nothing to do actually do with the young family. OP doesn’t feel close to them, those are feelings. In turn it is likely they’ll rightfully feel closer to DIL’s. It is what it is.

VioletSky Sat 03-Jun-23 12:40:19

I do think the quote was appropriate

There doesn't seem to be any real problems here, just people who choose to do things differently

There are lots of ways to be a good parent.

Bring the focus back to what you do like and respect. If the distance is a problem, take some time (with or without professional help) to figure out why it is and when it started.

Or decide if having this distance between you all is ok? Maybe it is just ok that you don't have as close a relationship with one child s you do with the others. If they are happy, and are not bothered by it, maybe it's safe to just have it be that way.

Then the focus would be in letting go of those differences between you because they would no longer matter

lyleLyle Sat 03-Jun-23 12:43:43

Great advice VS!

Madgran77 Sun 04-Jun-23 07:09:36

I’m failing to see how any “blame” can be assigned to the young couple

I agree. I havent seen anyone on here particularly blaming them either.

The OPs key concern is whether it is normal to feel as she does and she has given some information to put that in context. People have tried to answer in that vein. She also emphasises her understanding that how they raise their kids has nothing to do with her and she sensibly keeps opinions to herself. She is asking for advice on her feelings which may well be influenced by her opinions but that's not blaming, it's just what it is as you say!

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Jun-23 12:37:33

I don't see how any blame can be assigned to the OP, but there have been attempts to do so.

VioletSky Sun 04-Jun-23 13:13:43

Blame is not beneficial here

Accountability is beneficial in all relationships by all parties

lyleLyle Sun 04-Jun-23 13:37:39

Madgran77

*I’m failing to see how any “blame” can be assigned to the young couple*

I agree. I havent seen anyone on here particularly blaming them either.

The OPs key concern is whether it is normal to feel as she does and she has given some information to put that in context. People have tried to answer in that vein. She also emphasises her understanding that how they raise their kids has nothing to do with her and she sensibly keeps opinions to herself. She is asking for advice on her feelings which may well be influenced by her opinions but that's not blaming, it's just what it is as you say!

We are in agreement that blame isn’t a term applicable to the situation. It’s strange that some brought it up in the context of the original post and other’s responses to it. When people say “it’s always the same people blaming grandparents”, it’s odd considering the OP is about

lyleLyle Sun 04-Jun-23 13:39:08

Accidentally hit pot before I finished…

It’s odd considering the post is about feelings based on her judgements if the young family.

JaneJudge Sun 04-Jun-23 13:58:07

I thought the quote was fine! I don't like rough and tumble and risk taking with children either, I don't think it is that unusual. I even used to worry when they were out on their bikes. They had plenty of colourful tat though. I know this post isn't about me wink but I do just think we are all different and it is ok for all of you to feel the way you do flowers

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Jun-23 14:19:59

Some of the responses were blaming the OP lyeLyle.

VioletSky Sun 04-Jun-23 21:33:20

I don't think there was blaming, just constructive advice

Defensiveness is a well known problem in relationships that can really break them. Active listening is a far better course and taking some time to breathe and process instead of reacting

Here is a really good article I read when I realised my own defensiveness was causing issues interacting with others

www.betterhelp.com/advice/behavior/understanding-defensiveness-as-a-coping-skill/

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Jun-23 21:45:53

The OP wasn't being defensive VS.