Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

New life after death?

(83 Posts)
ninnynanny Mon 22-Aug-11 11:08:35

It seems to me that when someone dies a new pregnancy is announced or a new baby born, I have spoken to my friend about this and she agrees, she said her ex husband died to make way for her new grandaughter. My father died and my son announced his wife was having a baby.

grannyactivist Fri 16-Mar-12 00:40:21

My husband (a full on Christian) is actually in agreement with a lot of the thinking about coincidence expressed on this thread. It's his pet research subject at the moment. confused

Greatnan Fri 16-Mar-12 10:10:20

Which bits does he agree with, grannyactivist? I would have thought that believers in a god would think that it arranged everything, so nothing could be a coincidence.
When I was at a convent school, we were told very forcibly that any dabbling in spiritualism, ouja boards, mediums, etc. was sinful. I was surprised when that well-known Catholic Cherie Blair was reported to have talked Tony into some hocus-pocus involving crystals and rebirthing.

I love coincidences and probability theories. Many are contra-intuitive. For example, if a number has come up in the lottery 50 times, the chance of it coming up again remain at 1 in 49. Noel Edmonds and his victims don't seem to understand this. And why should coins come down 50/50 heads and tails if you do enough trials - the more trials you do, the closer you get to equivalence.
Considering the billions of events which take place every second, it would be a great coincidence if none of them coincided!

Butternut Fri 16-Mar-12 10:14:47

.....and then there is serendipity which is wonderful. smile

Elegran Fri 16-Mar-12 10:29:48

When you see some of the people who reckon they are a reincarnation of Cleopatra or Genghis Khan or whoever, you do wonder what the original owner of the personality thinks of it all.

jeni Fri 16-Mar-12 11:06:23

Nothing! They are deadconfused or do we still think when we are dead? If so, do we know we are dead, or just think we are?confused
I think I have a head ach e coming on!

Elegran Fri 16-Mar-12 11:36:31

Just as well they know nothing. Jeni

Then there are the Mormons, who can baptise their ancestors posthumously into their faith so that they can meet up with them in heaven. That would not please any Viking or Aztec ancestors, who were looking forward to a life of endless killing, rape and pillaging or cutting out the hearts of living sacrifices. Luckily for them, the Mormons need to know their exact names and connection to them before they can sign them up.

Elegran Fri 16-Mar-12 11:38:15

Mistake - they would be looking forward to an eternity, not a life , of blissful mayhem (life would be over)