Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

BBC2 Programme at 9pm tonight: This World - The Shame of the Catholic Church

(30 Posts)
whenim64 Wed 02-May-12 19:05:15

Darragh MacIntyre reveals evidence of a scandal that goes to the top of the Irish church. Gives a warning about strong language and upsetting scenes.

I haven't come across Darragh McIntyre before - will watch with interest.

Mishap Fri 04-May-12 09:36:12

Whether or not they knew how damaging it was (how could they NOT know!?) a crime had been committed and they should have reported it - and they themselves should be charged for not having done so.

I can remember problems with my brother (who was very good-looking - takes after his sister!) when he did a holiday job in his teens with the local council. One person there kept giving him money - my Dad soon put a stop to that! - he was very suspicious of the motives.

And as for the scoutmaster when we were little - least said I think! My brother left. It is difficult as the majority of scout leaders are dedicated people who give up their time to help young people.

soop Fri 04-May-12 12:31:28

Ariadne - you have taken the words right out of my mouth...I am speechless with disgust. I need the finger down throat symbol...NOW!

Greatnan Fri 04-May-12 12:40:41

It has made it difficult to recruit people to work with children or vulnerable adults, which is a great pity. Now more than ever children need encouraging to enjoy outdoor pursuits and sports. I know there are lots of dedicated women running cub and scout groups as well as guides/brownies, (take a bow, Bags) but it would be tragic if men stopped volunteering because of the damage done by one section of the population.
I have heard people saying that young people get too much sex education, too early. As far as I am concerned, they cannot be taught soon enough that certain actions or conversations are simply not acceptable and that 'keeping a secret' with any adult is not a good idea.

I am very pleased that not a single member has attempted any justification for the actions of the catholic church. I am quite sure that catholics are even more upset than the rest of us. They have certainly voted with their feet in Ireland.

Nsube Fri 04-May-12 13:17:07

You may find this interesting

forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=016973