Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Atheist Beliefs

(57 Posts)
Bags Tue 21-Aug-12 18:00:43

This YouTube video is lovely

It's about what an atheist believes. He wants to tell people that being an atheist does not mean that you have no beliefs. Good for him.

I agree with him on them all. It can be my Credo too.

Anagram Tue 21-Aug-12 19:31:50

Well, I've just watched the video and it certainly didn't bring a tear to my eye - but then why should it? Most of it was just common sense. I didn't understand why they had to have Ave Maria playing in the background, though...hmm

BlueSky Tue 21-Aug-12 19:37:46

Agree on your last point Anagram why Ave Maria, a good Catholic prayer, played at my (first) wedding...confused

absentgrana Tue 21-Aug-12 19:42:27

The point of the video, which should be obvious and was clearly spelt out is that just because someone is an atheist, it doesn't prevent them from having beliefs. I would imagine the choice of music served the same purpose – being an atheist does not prevent anyone from appreciating beauty.

Anagram Tue 21-Aug-12 19:44:13

Oh I see- irony?

absentgrana Tue 21-Aug-12 19:47:13

No – appreciating beauty. One of my favourite choral pieces is I know that my Redeemer liveth and one of my favourite places is Durham Cathedral. That is not ironic even though I am an atheist.

Anagram Tue 21-Aug-12 19:51:04

Oh, all right then! I'm not arguing, anyway, I just thought Ave Maria was a bit OTT.

NfkDumpling Tue 21-Aug-12 19:56:33

I think Ave Maria wasn't right either, but he did say it was just because he liked it.

glitabo Tue 21-Aug-12 20:01:47

Goodness JO4 this does seem to have hit a nerve.
What is the difference between people expressing their views in a poetry book and expressing their views on the internet? It is only another form of communication.
It brought a tear to my eye too greatnan .
I don't think he was being evangelical. I didn't feel under pressure to renounce my religious or spiritual views. It was no more of an attack on Christianity than it was on Islam or any other organised religion. In fact, as I expect that I will have a secular funeral, something like that would not go amiss. I loved the music too.
Perhaps you are just being deliberately controversial in order to raise the debate, but really to suggest that he may have to be on something before he could write that is a bit desperate.

NfkDumpling Tue 21-Aug-12 20:03:45

Oh, and I don't think I'm a Christian either. I work on the theory that I don't think I'm evil enough to be sent to hell, but know I have too many faults to get to heaven. So, if there is a God s/he'll just have to send me back for another go. Which makes me a Buddist? The command I try to live by is Harm None. Which is witchy!

johanna Tue 21-Aug-12 20:07:21

What is the nationality of Declan Chellar?
Is he American?

Anagram Tue 21-Aug-12 20:10:54

I must have missed the bit where he said he liked the music - I was looking for an explanation, too!

absentgrana Tue 21-Aug-12 20:13:16

Anagram It was in the piece of text underneath the window with the "slide show". The last lines (mentioning the music) were partially concealed and you had to click the button that said "read more" or something similar.

Anagram Tue 21-Aug-12 20:15:20

Ah! That explains it - thanks, absent.

Greatnan Tue 21-Aug-12 20:22:50

Does his nationality matter, Johanna? He struck me as simply a very sincere and highly principled man. He was not attacking any religion - just asking to be given the same courtesy he extends to others.
After the thousands of years of sermonising we atheists have had to endure from the various religions, it was good to hear the other side of the coin.
And so beautifully expressed.

Mishap Tue 21-Aug-12 20:26:37

I think that I would have done without the word atheism really - he was expressing an agnostic viewpoint with which I concur. He was saying that he has no idea about religious fundamentals or the existence of god, but that he has values and morals with which most of us would wholeheartedly agree.

I can see that he was trying to get away from the strident atheism that gives me the creeps - just as strident theism does.

I also thought the graphics were a bit twee - it would have been just as good to see his beliefs written out without all that - they would have been even more powerful I think.

But he said what needed to be said - so good on him.

Greatnan Tue 21-Aug-12 20:35:38

I don't know what strident atheism is. I just don't believe in any supernatural being - does that make me strident? Am I not allowed to state my beliefs? I am not trying to stop anybody else worshipping anything they want in any way they want, provided it does not hurt other people. I think he has the right to say he is an atheist, not an agnostic. He is in the best position to know what he believes.
I don't think he is being controversial - he is just stating his beliefs.

Mishap Tue 21-Aug-12 20:47:42

Yes - I can see that. But there are some atheists, and quite high profile ones, who are scathing and critical of others' beliefs; and there are theists who are the same. I dislike both. I think he was advocating tolerance above all else and I cannot but agree with that.
I too found nothing at all controversial in his beliefs, and it is good that he has stated them. There has been a prevalent view that anyone who is agnostic or atheist has no finer feelings and he has scotched that idea.

Anagram Tue 21-Aug-12 21:02:18

Mishap - I agree wholeheartedly with both your posts.

Ariadne Tue 21-Aug-12 21:12:14

Me too! It just pulled together a lot of my thoughts, and the work I do is based on many of the things he says.

I still struggle with the Christian faith in which I was brought up, but am more or less happy with my own private dealings with it. Think it was Pascal who said that if you have even a modicum of belief you cannot be atheist? Still puzzling.

Greatnan Tue 21-Aug-12 21:34:25

I am sure that is right, Ariadne. I don't have the slightest shred of belief so I know I am an atheist. I don't believe in mystics, mediums, faith-healers (except for the placebo effect), life after death, predetermination, fairies, ghosts, omens, angels, original sin, heaven, hell, or divine retribution.

Anagram Tue 21-Aug-12 22:04:31

Wonderful.

Ariadne Tue 21-Aug-12 22:07:01

Sometimes wish I could be quite so decisive. Am I just scared? Don't think so, just slightly aware of more in heaven and earth...

Granny23 Tue 21-Aug-12 22:23:33

I do not believe that I need to make lists of things I believe in or even worse what I do not believe in. I do not wish to lable myself as an A....ist, A.....ic, H........ist, whatever. I am who and what I am - those who know me know what that is - those who do not know me have no need to know. We are all part of the human race. Applying labels that separate us into one camp or another appears to lead to, at least, competition and at worst, aggression between the designated groups.

NfkDumpling Tue 21-Aug-12 22:30:39

An elderly friend told me he felt a bit like an ant on meeting an elephant. The ant knew something was there but was unable to comprehend what.

We'll all find out one day. If it all goes black and nothing happens than the atheists will have got it right. If not - God help us!

Bags Wed 22-Aug-12 05:58:08

Those of you who aren't atheists will not know, perhaps, that non-atheists often give the impression that we are inferior beings because we "don't have any beliefs". This guy was pointing out, gently, that we do. Simple.