Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Awe and wonder

(28 Posts)
Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 11:49:27

Just been reading two very different threads, one about autumn and the other about bring a secular nation ( or not ). Both made me wonder about what 'touches' us, what causes that feeling of awe and wonder.

I was once driving back from work along a sea wall. It was autumn, the sun was setting in a most spectacular way radiating amazingly unbelievable colours. Wave after wave of reds, pinks, oranges, purples, yellows, greens and gold, across the whole sky as far as i could see. And in the middle, like a hole in a doughnut, a circle which reflected the blue water of the marsh and the silhouettes of the roosting ducks. It was breathtaking. I had to pull off onto a layby and just look and look and look.

annodomini Fri 21-Sep-12 12:22:58

A glorious sunset does it for me too, nanad; so does a perfect snowscape and a beautiful waterfall...

whenim64 Fri 21-Sep-12 12:23:17

Any view that bathes the eyes and stirs those level feelings of awe and wonder, like my grandchildren's delight in the world around them, a late summer day of long shadows and a golden glow over everything, seeing loved ones happy, walking into a beautiful building containing works of art, sculptures by Henry Moore, a mother and tiger cubs playing in the wild, dolphins leaping though the ocean, whales surfacing and splashing their tails, long skeins of ducks flying overhead, African villages celebrating the instalation of their water supply, children surviving and overcoming any threat to their safety........... too many to list smile

crimson Fri 21-Sep-12 12:53:32

A racehorse running at full speed, or a horse like the late, great Desert Orchid jumping a fence; in the words of his connections 'point him at a fence and it's as if an explosion has gone off in his head'. Or my whippet running along an empty beach first thing in the morning. And any bird of prey flying.

Bags Fri 21-Sep-12 13:11:01

I glory in many things on this Earth. There is much to astound and impress and awe us. And then there is the universe around us. Awesome, wonderful and glorious.

JessM Fri 21-Sep-12 13:14:50

A newborn baby

Grannyknot Fri 21-Sep-12 14:17:05

Electric lightning storms with glorious thunder "God moving his furniture" my granddad used to say. On a mountain hike some years ago we heard a rumbling (we were walking on a road at that stage) and we were standing on a bridge trying to work out what was making the noise when we realised it was a 'flash flood' coming thundering down the river. Awesome. On another occasion I was lucky enough to see a waterspout arise from the ocean. I thought the end of the world had come, didn't know what it was.

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 14:25:00

A spiders web when the dew has frosted into crystals.

whitewave Fri 21-Sep-12 14:35:36

Just all life really - everything on this earth is wonderful. It is all entitled to be here and live life to the full, which is why I get so mad when I see us trying so hard to ruin the planet, and destroy as we see fit.

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 14:51:14

Wet cats!

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 14:52:22

Sorry got my threads tangled confused

Ariadne Fri 21-Sep-12 15:28:59

Mountains and lakes, with the moon on the water. Or Star Lake in Minnesota, with the loons calling. And yes, jess a newborn baby.

Greatnan Fri 21-Sep-12 16:19:22

My Alpine scenery, Scheherazade, waterfalls.

Butternut Fri 21-Sep-12 16:28:10

Yes! Wild sounds of loons calling, and the cry of buzzards, waves and wind, the sun and moon, and all of this natural world, and all that is good in it.

Nanadogsbody Fri 21-Sep-12 16:44:03

When my father, an old soldier, was buried a lone bugler played the past post. That was haunting and very poignant.

Bags Fri 21-Sep-12 16:52:23

Goldcrest zipping about among the branches of a silver birch.

Bags Fri 21-Sep-12 19:44:46

It's AWESOME when a barn owl perches on a post of your garden fence, and looks at you while you look at it from about ten metres away.

crimson Sun 23-Sep-12 15:35:46

Was sitting in a barn one day waiting for a farrier to shoe my pony; as I sat on a hay bale reading a book I felt two eyes piercing into me..the old fox was sat on a wall watching me. We eyeballed each other for a split second and then he was away and my pony was stood there instead. I've never forgot that moment and it was a long, long time ago. It's like two worlds meeting out and reaching each other.

absentgrana Sun 23-Sep-12 16:13:07

I may be an atheist, but I'm with Gerard Manly Hopkins on this one – Glory be to God for dappled things…

Bags Sun 23-Sep-12 17:13:29

And I'm with him on "Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

Butternut Sun 23-Sep-12 18:27:05

I'd never heard of him before now, but I love the quote you've posted, B

GrandmaMiney Sun 21-Oct-12 09:05:19

I love GMH's use of words, although I do not know his poetry well. Where does your quote come from Bags?
I went to my allotment yesterday (which is my 'sanctuary' as i live in the city). It has been a bit neglected this summer [due to 'Walking a Marathon (in a day) training!] and Bags' Hopkins' quote describes it perfectly! [Restoring it will be my 'project' for 2013]

My place of awe and wonder this week was a visit to Coventry Cathedral with an American friend.

I love medieval cathedrals so was not that keen. But reading Coventry's story after the bombing of Nov 1940--then the whole ethos of keeping the shell (with the words 'Father Forgive' which had been inscribed within days of the bombing) while building the new--with the greatest talent of the 20th C--really impressed me on many levels.

Seeing John Piper's baptistry window--with the sunlight illuminating the modern stained glass panels, left me speechless with awe and wonder.

Bags Sun 21-Oct-12 10:42:10

Hello, miney. The GMH quote is the last line of the poem Inversnaid which you can get to by clicking on the blue link smile. It's a beautiful poem.

Marelli Sun 21-Oct-12 10:54:11

Just now the sun is hitting the Lomond Hills. The colours of the masses of trees at the bottom of the fields near to us, is as if they are shot with not only the yellows and oranges of Autumn, but blues/greys/greens as well. A sight to behold! And on top of our golden oak tree, a magpie is gawping down at DH as he sweeps up leaves (leaving a pile of them in the corner near the old wall for any possible hibernating creatures, of course)! smile

Mishap Sun 21-Oct-12 11:15:24

For me it is the view from our balcony on an autumn morning when the mist gathers along the course of the river at the bottom of the valley and creates the impression that the hills are floating in the sea.