Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Humanism as a religion?

(33 Posts)
Bags Tue 02-Oct-12 06:16:14

Interesting (quite long) article about the somewhat religiosity that humanism can take on by Michael Ruse. He is critical of aspects of Dawkins' approach, which is fine by me as I think Dawkins is wrong about some things too (different things from what Ruse is talking about though).

Mishap Sat 15-Dec-12 17:31:53

I do not subscribe to any religion. Equally I do not feel the need to look for a word (humanist/agnostic....) to define what I believe/do not believe. I just get on with my life and try not to upset too many people on the journey.

granjura Sun 16-Dec-12 10:49:06

Same here Mishap - I suppose I am a 'humanist' but I really do not need to give my way of life a name.

I've mentioned it before, but I do wonder how many more in the UK would respond to surveys as being not religious, if they had to pay compulsory tax to their affiliated religion, as is the case here in Switzerland. Here, if you say you are Catholic or Protestant on your official documents, a percentage of tax if automatically deducted and paid to your chosen Church. In my County, as well as in Geneva county (Canton), this was voted down recently, and a juge proportion of people who previously called themselves (cultural) Protestants or Catholics, suddenly dropped out (hypocritically still expecting the Church do marry and bury them, visit when sick or bereaved, etc).

If you had to pay compulsory tax to your CofE or Catholic Church - how many of you would continue to do so?

paigetheoracle Tue 26-Mar-13 10:43:22

Humanism as a religion? No, you need a belief in God for religion. This doesn't mean I have anything against Humanism, just that is what the definition includes or excludes.

Ana Tue 26-Mar-13 11:18:47

I think you're wrong there, paigetheoracle. Religion is simply a set of rules that we live our daily lives by - there doesn't need to be any deity involved.

Bags Tue 26-Mar-13 11:43:46

But people without religion are more open to rules being changed, I think, so I'm not sure I agree with that view, ana.

Ana Tue 26-Mar-13 12:22:34

I don't mind, Bags smile

Bags Tue 26-Mar-13 12:30:10

Neither do I smile