Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Doorstep Canvassing

(29 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 09-Jan-13 12:44:27

Hello all,

I had a visit from the Jehovahs Witnesses earlier. It was around 9.30 and I'm ashamed to say I was still in my bathrobe, having been a bit late going for my shower. I opened the door to see 2 middle agedish ladies, to whom I lied, saying that I was ill, as an excuse for not being dressed. They made sympathetic noises and asked if it was a virus, I said I wasn't sure, they said "Well, we'll leave you this copy of the Watchtower then."

I wasn't aware that the Watchtower, or any other religious publication for that matter, had any curative properties for viruses, either real or ficticious.

However, that is not my point. Whilst I have a certain admiration for those of strong faith, I do not see why they seem to think that they have a right (or duty?) to make unsolicited visits to try to talk to others about it.

To me, in some ways, this is the religious equivalent to telephone cold calling by double glazing companies.

If I was in the market for new windows, I would not sit at home hoping that someone might ring me about it. I would pro actively contact them, ask about the service they provide, costs, guarantees etc. Similarly, if I was considering becoming an adherent of any particular faith, I would do appropriate research and make my decision.

There are things that I enjoy and that I think enrich my life, but I do not go around knocking on strangers doors brandishing a copy of the Racing Post with my tips for the day picked out in yellow highlighter, nor a plate of smoked salmon and parmesan cheese straws saying "You really must try these, they are delicious".

I did wonder whether this should be put under the AIBU section, but decided to put it here.

Thank you.

Anne58 Wed 09-Jan-13 17:44:06

I may have been a bit more receptive if they had promised a way to rid the world of Jeremy Clarkson.

crimson Wed 09-Jan-13 17:52:48

Having a nice little ponder on the the conversation next time they knock on my door. Will listen to what they have to say about whatever they're ranting on about at the time and then will slip in the 'but can you protect me from Piers Morgan/Jeremey Clarkson [please fill in a name of your choice]. wink.

cheelu Wed 09-Jan-13 18:21:03

A JW called at our house one day and woke my husband that was very tired, he was rude to them and just shut the door!!! Not nice at all...I just let them know that I have my own beliefs and would like to stick to them but I do understand that they just want to spread the love....My problem with them is that they would allow a loved one to die rather than permit a Doctor to give them a blood transfusion if needed,,,They do not believe that you should share blood,,they believe that it is un clean..