Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Buddhism

(74 Posts)
Mishap Thu 07-Mar-13 17:35:22

Our book club book this month is The Art of Happiness which explores the beliefs of the Dalai Lama.

It is documented by an American psychiatrist - a bit of an irritating chap really.

I was intrigued by the Dala Lama's assertion that Buddhists believe that all humans are born inherently and mainly compassionate and selfless. I wanted to invite him to a morning in playgroup with a roomful of toddlers!!

Orca Sat 09-Mar-13 17:42:11

Then don't be surprised if you come back as Pagurus bernhardus Absent hmm

Bags Sat 09-Mar-13 18:00:26

If that were to happen, would she know? If not, it doesn't matter.

absent Sat 09-Mar-13 18:08:58

Do crabs do surprise? I thought that they had only small cerebral ganglia – but then, again, probably so have I.

Bags Sat 09-Mar-13 18:11:54

absent grin

Orca Sat 09-Mar-13 19:11:35

grin

Orca Sat 09-Mar-13 19:13:29

I'm off now, invited to a seafood supper. Wonder if crab is on the menu?

NfkDumpling Sat 09-Mar-13 20:16:49

Have just ordered Soop's recommended book from Amazon. It looks good.

granjura Sat 09-Mar-13 21:35:49

Don't think I could ever follow any kind of rigid path like the way to Nirvana.

I practice Tai-chi and Gi-kung - and again, I could never be a Taoist (some weird stuff I can tell you) - but I love to refer to the wonderful book of the Tao-te-ching - full of very simple wise and inspiring words.

granjura Sat 09-Mar-13 21:48:43

Here is a lovely one, no rules or path, but just reflection and advice, and find your own way. I lie that :

c“Simplicity, patience, compassion.
These three are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world.”
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Orca Sat 09-Mar-13 23:07:14

Taoism?

positivepam Sat 09-Mar-13 23:30:29

Taoism cannot be explained and if someone tries, it means they do not understand it. It is a way of living and is not a religion and also is not the same as Buddism. smile

soop Sun 10-Mar-13 12:02:41

granjura flowers

Eloethan Sun 10-Mar-13 13:16:34

granjura - lovely words - will try to remember when getting ratty with myself and others.

granjura Sun 10-Mar-13 13:36:09

Here is another lovely one:

“Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich.”
― Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

If you Google Tao Te Ching quotes, you'll find lots of others.

Now here is one from the top of my head - and particularly apt for a Forum smile please note I am a self-confessed chatter-box so .... wink

'Those who don't talk know, and those who do don't" (i'm sure someone here will remind me one of these day smile )

Taoism is a very ancient Chinese religion- far older I believe than Buddhism. As said, I am not religious and cannot stand any dogma or rigid path - but the Tao Te Ching is full of wisdom and guidance.

soop Sun 10-Mar-13 13:44:18

granjura I have a book ^Images from the I CHING...visual meditations on The Book of Change. Paintings by Ann Williams.
Quote: Insight ...'Let my mind follow attentively, each moment, as from a seed to a full flowering - insight.'

granjura Sun 10-Mar-13 13:46:30

Yes, my Tao Te Ching book is also beautifully illustrated. Here is a very (over) simple synopsis:

Taoism (modernly: Daoism) is a philosophical and religious tradition that emphasizes living in harmony with the Tao (modernly romanized as "Dao"). The term Tao means "way", "path" or "principle", and can also be found in Chinese philosophies and religions other than Taoism. In Taoism, however, Tao denotes something that is both the source and the driving force behind everything that exists. It is ultimately ineffable: "The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao."[1]

The keystone work of literature in Taoism is the Tao Te Ching, a concise and ambiguous book containing teachings attributed to Laozi (Chinese: 老子; pinyin: Lǎozi; Wade–Giles: Lao Tzu). Together with the writings of Zhuangzi, these texts build the philosophical foundation of Taoism. This philosophical Taoism, individualistic by nature, is not institutionalized. Institutionalized forms, however, evolved over time in the shape of a number of different schools, often integrating beliefs and practices that even pre-dated the keystone texts – as, for example, the theories of the School of Naturalists, which synthesized the concepts of yin-yang and the Five Elements. Taoist schools traditionally feature reverence for Laozi, immortals or ancestors, along with a variety of divination and exorcism rituals, and practices for achieving ecstasy, longevity or immortality.

Taoist propriety and ethics may vary depending on the particular school, but in general tends to emphasize wu-wei (action through non-action), "naturalness", simplicity, spontaneity, and the Three Treasures: compassion, moderation, and humility.

soop Sun 10-Mar-13 13:54:23

The Taoist I Ching' translated by Thomas Cleary is also on my bookshelf.

I am NOT religious. I do enjoy the spiritual peaceful insight that can be gained through attempting to understand the Buddhist philosophy.

soop Sun 10-Mar-13 13:56:46

granjura Compassion, moderation, and humility Yes! sunshine

soop Sun 10-Mar-13 14:04:31

I do not choose to follow this path for fear of returning after death [to make amends] or going forward [as a reward]. I shall die and that will be the end of my story. I would like to think that, during my life, I make a positive contribution in spite of my human frailties.

Butty Sun 10-Mar-13 14:14:06

I value simplicity, solitude at times, compassion, not always humility, yet I ascribe it to nothing other than who I am in this world.

annodomini Sun 10-Mar-13 14:35:29

Taoism sounds like an attractive philosophy, so what is the meaning of all the hundreds of gods and goddesses I saw in a Taoist temple in Hong Kong. I lit an incense stick for one of them - possibly something to do with peace.

Galen Sun 10-Mar-13 14:54:54

I've just ordered it. Sounds interesting.

granjura Sun 10-Mar-13 15:00:13

Great, hope you enjoy dipping in and out of it, as I do.

Both Buddhism and Taoism see 'salvation' via the giving up of desire and our constant wish to have more and more, travel more, see and do everything there is to be done.

Galen Sun 10-Mar-13 15:07:03

Hope so. Thought it might help me relax and take calmer look at life.

granjura Sun 10-Mar-13 15:07:49

Let people enjoy the simple technologies,
let them enjoy their food,
let them make their own clothes,
let them be content with their own homes,
and delight in the customs that they cherish.
Although the next country is close enough
that they can hear their roosters crowing and dogs barking,
they are content never to visit each other
all of the days of their life.