Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Good news from UCL

(7 Posts)
Bags Sat 16-Mar-13 20:03:50

Anyway, it's good to see that the university didn't cave in to a religious pressure group and have given them the order of the boot.

Bags Sat 16-Mar-13 20:01:10

Krauss wasn't imposing anything. He was insisting, rightly, that gender segregation is regarded as wrong in this country, so a bunch of Muslims has no right to impose their segregatory rules here. We can't stop them in their mosques but we bloody well can and should in non-religious environments.

Some cultural norms simply are better than others – more advanced, more civilised, recognising that gender segregatiion in such a situation as a university debate in the UK is, quite simply, not acceptable.

Well done, Krauss.

Mishap Sat 16-Mar-13 11:29:39

Deary me - it makes you despair. Thank goodness that UCL insisited on reason and fairness prevailing. But it is quite firghtening to me.

Nelliemoser Sat 16-Mar-13 11:23:17

The implications of what this group were trying to do is just horrific.
Woman cannot be trusted to be alone with men. This is said to be in order to protect the women's honour. But it seems to assume the woman might seduce those poor innocent men. Its that wicked woman Eve again.

j08 Sat 16-Mar-13 10:06:31

Sounds like the professor had the right idea.

If a bunch of women want to sit together, that's fine. Shouldn't be imposed though. I don't think this country should go down an altogether islamic approach. Would be retrograde.

Lilygran Sat 16-Mar-13 09:53:01

And the consequence was that members of the audience complained about his intolerance in imposing his own cultural norms on the people present. Many of them apparently wished to be in a segregated audience.

Bags Fri 15-Mar-13 08:43:11

Group which tried to impose gender segregation banned at University College London. Thank goodness. We cannot allow primitive prejudices to thrive in places of education. This is not shutting down the group's freedom of speech, but upholding the university's equality rules by preventing discriminatory treatment based on gender.