Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Finally! a 'definition' of god that I understand.

(195 Posts)
Bags Sat 27-Apr-13 09:26:19

"He's an inert gas bag."

j08 Sat 27-Apr-13 09:35:31

How can you put that under "religion and spirituality"?

vampirequeen Sat 27-Apr-13 10:38:09

At last. Makes total sense smile

sunseeker Sat 27-Apr-13 10:47:45

I do find it strange that it is the atheists amongst us who seem to trawl the internet looking for items about God. smile Before anyone jumps down my throat and tells me they have a right to post anything they want - I am not arguing, I believe God has a sense of humour otherwise why would He have put male genitals on the outside of the body !

absent Sat 27-Apr-13 11:13:13

sunseeker Of course she was having a laugh.

Bags Sat 27-Apr-13 11:16:49

Sorry, jings. I genuinely thought things about god came under religion.

Bags Sat 27-Apr-13 11:23:21

sunny, old bean, no need to "trawl" – just follow the right people on Twitter and stuff like that and it's all handed to you on a plate, brass knobs an' all! smile

sunseeker Sat 27-Apr-13 11:25:22

absent Reminds me of a joke (told to me by a Priest).

A man is in hospital seriously ill and"dies" only to be brought back by doctors. His family ask him what he remembers and he says he was in heaven and had seen God. Very excited they ask him what God was like - he replies "She's black"

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-13 11:44:36

I heard that one 50 years ago from a friend who later became one of the first women to be a Church of Scotland minister.

cathy Sat 27-Apr-13 21:32:05

Baga why do you feel it necessary to critasize in this way, do you not feel that Granetters that Do believe in God should be shown some respect, after all no one constantly critasizes the atheists do they--I don't understand why you are trying to get your atheist point across and ram it down everyone's throat!! so BORED with it now, OK we know your an atheist!!!

Bags Sat 27-Apr-13 21:52:54

It's not a criticism, cathy.

I am not commenting on anyone else's understanding of what god means to them, only on mine. I think you should respect my ideas (though actually, this is someone else's idea that I just happen to like) as much as you expect me to respect yours. Respect doesn't mean you have to like it or to agree with it, you just have to accept that it can be voiced.

I'm trying to "get my atheist point across", as you put it, for exactly the same reason that anyone tries to get any idea across – because they think it's interesting and worth sharing.

I think a lot of religious ideas are rather offensive but that doesn't mean I can tell people to shut up about them. I can argue with them or I can ignore them. You have the same choices. We are equals in that respect smile

Galen Sat 27-Apr-13 22:22:45

I'm a Christian (I think) but I have no objection to any atheists or agnostics posting!
All it does is affirm my faithsmile
Catching up now dd DGD and sil have gone to bed!
All of them have horrible colds and coughs! No doubt, in their customary generous fashion they'll pass it to me?
I've hardly recovered from the last one they gave mehmm
By the way, dd tells me that on mumsnet igglepiggle is regarded as a dead ringer for David Cameron.

Faye Sat 27-Apr-13 22:27:25

It is very funny. Should be in the joke section though. Those of us who don't bother usually to read the religion threads they do become boring would have missed it. I just had a peep at this thread to see why you were being told off baggy. smile

Ana Sat 27-Apr-13 22:43:21

Oh dear, I think Mumsnet's right, Galen - give Igglepiggle a sleek hairdo and he certainly is a dead ringer for Cameron....grin

annodomini Sat 27-Apr-13 22:55:06

I never noticed it before, but now you mention it... grin

Galen Sat 27-Apr-13 23:22:30

Perhaps someone should repost it?
I'm too tired. Bed
Night all!moon
Probably wont post until tomorrow night?

Bags Sun 28-Apr-13 06:47:43

I think it's funny too, Faye, but I also think it quite profound. That's why it struck a chord with me.

You must be used to me "being told off" by now, Faye wink grin

Faye Sun 28-Apr-13 09:48:36

Someone normally is being told off most days on Gransnet, baggy. I guess it may as well be you or me. smile

Bags Sun 28-Apr-13 09:50:39

smile

Greatnan Sun 28-Apr-13 09:55:15

Good heavens, do some members get told off by other members? It has never happened to me. grin

Orca Sun 28-Apr-13 10:00:36

Oh course god isn't a woman.

Greatnan Sun 28-Apr-13 10:13:30

It doesn't bother me how you choose to define your god, Orca, as I am an atheist. grin

Orca Sun 28-Apr-13 10:17:48

A woman wouldn't have made such a cock up mess of things! wink

gracesmum Sun 28-Apr-13 11:09:13

An interesting perspective, if ingratiating.

Greatnan Sun 28-Apr-13 11:13:24

Hmm...................