Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Do dogs go to heaven?

(39 Posts)
Bags Tue 30-Jul-13 09:45:33

Good for a chuckle smile

Eloethan Sun 23-Mar-14 00:59:36

I'm not convinced there is a heaven, but if there is and dogs aren't allowed, I'm not sure I'd want to go there.

nigglynellie Sat 22-Mar-14 16:04:19

Oh dear, I'm clearly losing it, as I posted about the tom cat before!!!!

nigglynellie Sat 22-Mar-14 16:02:45

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners! I think ALL animals go to heaven, what a poor place it would be without them I heard a story once about a Vicar who had a particularly 'cross/cranky' tomcat, and when this cat died, the vicar was heard to muse that he hoped that there was a small corner of heaven that God had earmarked for a repentant tomcat!! AL my dogs and cats will be waiting for me particularly my last little girl (dog) who died 12 days ago.

Iam64 Thu 26-Dec-13 08:25:24

We had 5 dogs here for Christmas day - they all entered into the spirit of things, and behaved beautifully. Well, other than my adolescent cockapoo, who by 5 pm had enough of all these other dogs wandering around in his kitchen, and snapped at my sisters elderly westie. He is the naughtiest dog I ever shared my life with, and need to improve a bit if he is ever to be admitted into the place good dogs go. Still, he's a long time to learn, fortunately, as he has a lot to learn

TriciaF Wed 25-Dec-13 17:11:11

I wonder if dogs can be reincarnated?
Our little sweetheart border collie is nearly 11, and she might outlive me , or not. If she doesn't I hope to have another bc with her lovely nature, to remind me of her.

Charleygirl Wed 25-Dec-13 16:35:04

That made me laugh out loud, just what I needed. I did not think that the Catholic church had a sense of humour but maybe I mixed with the wrong type of nun!

nigglynellie Wed 25-Dec-13 15:55:32

Well, I really hope they do as along with all the people I would dearly love to see again my 'animals' various are certainly on that list as well. I heard a lovely story once about a Clergyman who had a very feisty Tom-Cat, who was at times, a bit much on the hissing/claw front, but nonetheless dearly loved. When this cat died the clergyman was heard to remark to a sympathetic friend, that he sincerely hoped that there was a corner of heaven especially reserved for a repentant Tom-Cat!! I hope so too.

Iam64 Wed 14-Aug-13 08:46:25

Well, I hope Woody Allen feels the same, as I'd rather not have him anywhere near my dogs......

feetlebaum Wed 14-Aug-13 08:38:22

The lion will lie down with the lamb, but the lamb won't get very much sleep... said Woody Allen!

From the way Heaven has been described - it sounds icky.

MiceElf Wed 14-Aug-13 08:28:34

And when those dogs meet Saint Peter at the pearly gates, he will greet them with a big smile and say how welcome they are; he'll show them all the facilities and explain gently that although the food is of an excellent standard, the cats had to have first choice as they had instructed Soop and Pheonix to send their orders on ahead.

Lilygran Wed 14-Aug-13 08:03:54

If the lion will lie down with the lamb (the wolf will dwell with the lamb, I think) there's surely room for all the creatures?

Ana Tue 13-Aug-13 22:08:32

And as all dog-lovers know, hell is a place with no dogs...

LizG Tue 13-Aug-13 21:36:53

There is no such thing as a 'bad' dog, just a 'bad' owner!

Greatnan Tue 13-Aug-13 21:25:55

Will bad dogs go to hell?

susieb755 Tue 13-Aug-13 21:05:44

I think that dogs will go to heaven - I know they cant be believers. which seems to be a pre-requisite, but God is after all a loving God, and would know what is in their little furry souls

Iam64 Tue 13-Aug-13 13:22:51

Greatnan - that's what I was told at the age of 4, after my bull mastiff wasn't there when I got up one morning. He was huge, and I used to lie on him, or sit on him, whilst watching Roy Rogers on tv. One tea time, a man came to the door and told my dad that Butch (yes, he was called Butch I'm afraid) had been aggressive towards him. Dad said there must be a mistake, Butch is a big softy, come in and see him with my daughter. Butch had the man pinned up against the wall in quick time. Dad was mortified, and full of apologies. I said he must be a nasty man, if Butch didn't like him. We all had tea, and when I woke up, no Butch. I didn't believe mum or dad's stories about Butch going to live on a farm in the countryside, where he could be free and happy. On reflection, I can't think of another time in my life when I didn't believe what my parents told me as they were so honest and kind. Ho Hum - I still believe that dogs go to heaven, the one so well described by dorsetpennt

LizG Tue 13-Aug-13 12:15:47

I'm with you there absent smile

Greatnan Tue 13-Aug-13 11:54:47

I thought dogs went to a farm in Wales and had a lovely, happy life - at least, that is what all my friends tell their children!

Poppikok Tue 13-Aug-13 11:11:04

Will there be Poop Bags?

Nonu Wed 31-Jul-13 11:37:54

I most definitely think dogs go to heaven .

What a lovely thought that I will see my Lovely Boxer , who passed many years ago.

I still do , after all this time give him a thought !!

Sunhat Wed 31-Jul-13 11:09:45

If heaven exists, I think many dogs (and cats) deserve to go there as much as some humans if not more.

Grannyknot Wed 31-Jul-13 09:54:16

dorset I like that fantasy. I'd love to "see" our chocolate Labrador again, she was so faithful and so loving and so gorgeous! I do miss her still after nearly 13 years.

And when I've finished catching up with all the people I've missed for years, I'd excuse myself and "go downstairs" to confront a few people because I didn't do it when I should have! And that's where I know they will be! grin

dorsetpennt Wed 31-Jul-13 08:52:37

They better go to heaven otherwise I'm not going! I don't really believe in the concept of heaven and hell but....my idea of heaven is arriving at the pearly gates and there are all the dogs and cats I've had barking and meowing to greet me. Just beyond them are all the friends and family that I've lost over the years. We'd all go for a long walk in the constant lovely weather through verdant woods and fields chattering and gossiping.

Joan Wed 31-Jul-13 07:49:50

Everyone can go to heaven, including dogs, 'cos they have imaginations, they dream, and heaven is, after all, a lovely, imaginary place.

Aka Tue 30-Jul-13 20:07:49

A very good observation Absent