Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Women bishops

(20 Posts)
Ariadne Wed 20-Nov-13 18:23:02

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10462311/Church-of-England-votes-overwhelmingly-for-women-bishops.html

So - the Synod has at last taken a step forward. What I'd like to know is this: if parishes can request to opt out of being under the jurisdiction of a woman bishop, is the reverse to be true? EH??

(The TG was the only source I could find quickly!)

wisewoman Wed 20-Nov-13 18:31:10

Good point, Ariadne. Most churches have far more women attenders than men so they should be able to opt out of a man bishop! Love it.

Iam64 Wed 20-Nov-13 18:46:21

thanks Ariadne. I'm warming to Justin Welby.

Ariadne Wed 20-Nov-13 21:57:20

Wouldn't it be just perfect if a parish did ask for a woman? One can dream..

alternativegran Wed 20-Nov-13 23:00:32

The synod has never really been representative of the church as a whole, few working people can give the time to attend or read and digest reams of paper.

Having gone through several long interregnums our parish didn't mind what sex the vicar was as long as they were the right person for the job.

I hear that far more women than men put themselves forward for ordination now, so change may come very quickly, if the church survives!

Ana Wed 20-Nov-13 23:10:03

Rather like the situation with doctors and solicitors these days - more and more women are qualifying and practising, whereas in the past those professions were male-dominated.

Iam64 Thu 21-Nov-13 09:01:16

Yes, thanks to a generation of women who worked for equality

annodomini Thu 21-Nov-13 10:09:08

If the church, the law and medicine are becoming dominated by women, what are men doing? Oh yes...banking.

MiceElf Thu 21-Nov-13 10:18:14

Now there's a wake up call for our daughters and granddaughters. Ethical banking the new target.

Nelliemoser Thu 21-Nov-13 11:28:39

It seems that over the last century or so, women's brains have become strong enough to cope with learning lots of complicated things they were not previously capable of.
We women can now do this without now causing ourselves serious mental exhaustion and sending ourselves into a decline. wink

JessM Thu 21-Nov-13 12:16:44

Strange how too much education no longer causes the uterus to cut loose and wander around the body causing all kinds of horrible symptoms isn't it...

Iam64 Thu 21-Nov-13 13:17:37

Anno, Mice, Nellie and JessM - I almost choked on my lunch time cheese on toast chortling at your comments above.

wolfkicker Tue 15-Jul-14 17:33:02

do you all realise that god words never change there the same today yesterday & forever he will never recognise woman bishops preachers pastors i dont care what david cameroon thinks or any other man or women the holy spirit as left the churchs long ago and they are run by the spirit of anti christs just like most of yous on this website one day we will all have to stand in front of christ and he will say go away i never knew yous if you dont go by what christ says its just a church of men & women not christ or do you realy think we have more power than the creator of the heavens and earth ha ha ha ha you people are so funny you will all laugh your way in to hell buy you wont laugh your way out of it wake up and repent why yous still have the chance amen glory to christ not people

wolfkicker Tue 15-Jul-14 17:35:50

its christs power not women or mens power ha ha ha wake up and repent why you still have a chance or are you led by the anti christ?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 15-Jul-14 17:42:05

Who actually is the anti-Christ?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 15-Jul-14 17:44:26

If we do one day come to stand in front of the Christian God, I do not believe He will judge us on whether we accepted women bishops or not. No way!

grannyactivist Tue 15-Jul-14 17:52:11

Wow - wolfkicker. shock
Who said this?
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, *there is neither male nor female*: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."
Yes, it was St Paul in his letter to the Galatians.

And who was it that said this?
"Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven".
Yes, that was Jesus.

If you look back at the first church there were many women leaders: For instance Phoebe in Romans 16, “a deacon of the church at Cenchreae.” Paul calls her a prostatis or overseer. This term in its masculine form, prostates, was used to designate the one presiding over the Eucharist. And Paul uses the same verb, the passive of ginomai (to be or become), as he uses in Colossians 1:23: “I was made a minister.” In the passive, the verb sometimes indicated ordination or appointment to an office. Thus a legitimate translation of Paul’s statement about Phoebe is: “For she has been appointed, by my own action, as an officer presiding over many.” The church is asked to welcome her and assist her in the church’s business.

So wolfkicker. I'm sorry that you're so upset about women bishops, but your ranting tone, your lack of biblical rigour and your seeming lack of simple Christian charity does you no favours.

Elegran Tue 15-Jul-14 17:57:49

Have you actually read what Christ said about it. Wolfkicker? He did not mention that women could not be priests or bishops, that was Paul, who was anti-women completely, in the church or outside it.

Christ did not have any bishops or priests anyway, men or women. That started well after his death, when his disciples were spreading the word around and needed some people to be more in charge of things than others. Grumpy Paul had a lot to say in how it was all organised.

MiceElf Tue 15-Jul-14 18:10:11

The most sensible thing that Paul said was:

Take a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

BTW, excellent exegesis, GA and Elegran.

Galen Tue 15-Jul-14 18:33:37

What about Thekla?

I'm all for women bishops, I just don't feel comfortable personally with a woman priest. I don't feel comfortable with a woman doctor either!

Illogical I know! Blame the fact that I'm female and therefore of week and illogical intellect.