Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Paganism

(170 Posts)
petallus Mon 02-Jun-14 15:46:38

I recently met someone who is a Pagan. I have become quite interested in it. I like the idea of 'worshipping' nature and having rituals which centre on nature.

I wonder if any Gnetters are Pagans.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Jun-14 22:39:04

Why bother?

Ana Mon 02-Jun-14 22:40:17

Suit yourself...as I said, lots of closed minds out there!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Jun-14 22:44:12

My mind is definitely closed against anything which could be connected to witchcraft. And paganism could well be. It is wrong.

boheminan Tue 03-Jun-14 00:41:42

Marelli. I'd say a lot of people who are truly 'in' to old Paganism are not really into advertising themselves. Witchcraft was considered illegal until the 1950's and Pagan's were by nature underground up until (and beyond) that time for fear of being persecuted. There's a trend now of 'New Age' Paganism, with pentagrams and spells and suchlike, which is very trendy, but far removed from its true origins. I think true old Pagans are insular folk, who have no need, or indeed want to go out to sell their beliefs to a very (seemingly) hostile world

Iam64 Tue 03-Jun-14 08:08:59

Jingle is right to point out that children have been hurt in the name of witchcraft.

All the faiths will have individuals who exploit their situation to gain access to children for the purpose of meeting their own perverted sexual desires.

HollyDaze Tue 03-Jun-14 09:01:02

My mind is definitely closed against anything which could be connected to witchcraft. And paganism could well be. It is wrong

But wouldn't a belief in witchcraft, in that sense, mean you believe they could turn people into toads or some such?

From what I have read, the whole 'witchcraft' accusation was nothing more than a failure to understand the properties of the natural world that others did understand - for example: healing qualities of plants (or harm that could be done I suppose). The Christian church was very fond of shouting 'heresy' at anything it didn't understand. When some Medieval physicians started to show an interest in physiology and, gasp in astonishment, anatomy (when everyone knew that the correct way to diagnose and cure people was to draw up a horocscope of the ill person - not want to dabble with their innards or, even worse, their blood or urine) was accused of heresy.

petallus Tue 03-Jun-14 09:17:49

And the church went ballistic when someone suggested the world was round instead of flat!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 03-Jun-14 10:08:51

Well, if we're going that far back, I'll bet there are some appalling pagan rituals we could dig up. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 03-Jun-14 10:09:24

Horse sacrifice anyone?

HollyDaze Tue 03-Jun-14 10:14:25

More 'up to date':

Giordano Bruno was the last person to be burned alive at the stake on orders from Rome, executed in 1600 for a collection of heretical beliefs including Copernicanism, belief of an unlimited universe with innumerable inhabited worlds, opinions contrary to the Catholic faith about the Trinity, divinity of Christ, and Incarnation.

Not like Copernicus knew what he was talking about was it wink

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 03-Jun-14 10:22:13

Oh yes. Pretty well yesterday that.

Ariadne Tue 03-Jun-14 10:22:57

The argument seems to be between a belief in things natural and ancient, and a belief in a fairly new religion which saw torture on a cross as redemption. Both sets of beliefs have had adherents which perverted the basic tenets.

Satanism is often called "witchcraft" but it is black witchcraft and overtly celebrates evil. Wicca celebrates living things, and that "wisdom and spirit of the universe" which Wordsworth talks about. Can't see much wrong in that.

HollyDaze Tue 03-Jun-14 10:39:08

* Ariadne*

and a belief in a fairly new religion which saw torture on a cross as redemption

Also as a means of gaining compliance - on my first holiday in Adelboden, I saw a small building (can't remember if it was a chapel or not) and there is an old mural on the one wall that is still clearly visible. The mural is a scene of what happens to people who got to hell - one of the few occasions my jaw dropped - talk about explicit shock strangely enough, it had a lot to do with bottoms blush

TriciaF Tue 03-Jun-14 10:41:20

Some of the older farmers round here talk about "la Nature" as if it was a spiritual thing, a powerful force. They're otherwise completely secular, so it seems to be a substitute for religion.
The forces of nature dominate their lives, decide what the work of the day is, determine whether they get a good harvest etc. Maybe they have superstitions about it too - I'll have to ask them.
But the word paganism to me is linked with satanism.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 03-Jun-14 11:22:17

It just seems a bit, as a religion. I love nature, sometimes. But what do you actually worship? Or pray to?

I must admit I prefer a nice Archbishop of Canterbury, or even a Pope, to some local female chanting and waving her arms around.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 03-Jun-14 11:23:06

I meant "a bit vague as a religion"

Purpledaffodil Tue 03-Jun-14 11:51:25

I agree with you Jingle flowers

Tegan Tue 03-Jun-14 12:26:39

I think man created God [or Gods] not the other way round out of a need for something spiritual in their lives and it's up to us to decide in which form that takes. Problem is, being mankind there are always people that abuse those beliefs for their own gain in numerous ways. If I pray [which I do] or light a candle [which I also do] I'm not sure who I'm praying to or lighting the candle to either; there is just a primevil need in me to do so. I do think that, of all the religions, Christianity is the one that evolved more from Paganism than the others because it's basis is love and respect for all things.

Galen Tue 03-Jun-14 13:22:05

Didn't someone say 'if there wasn't a god, we'd have to invent one?'

Galen Tue 03-Jun-14 13:23:06

Read and loved all of Marion ZM's books

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 03-Jun-14 13:50:51

Funny, I loved her books when I was much younger. Can't stomach them now. Barbara Cartland of Arthurian fiction.

Silverfish Wed 04-Jun-14 09:36:45

Reiki is the healing energy passed through the healers hands, the universal energy that is all around us. I have had arguments with several members of the church who disagree and say that the energy could be taken over by 'evil spirits'. This is rubbish as we are trained to have the intention of love and caring, when we heal. One vicar said she had a parishioner who had become mentally ill after reiki. I think that this guy was probably mentally ill before his treatment and maybe imagined all sorts of things would happen. Reiki is not magic it cant make illness go away, or the lame walk. It is not what Christ is supposed to have done.
It is non denominational and we are not pagans or wiccans, although as I said earlier I am very interested in those subject.

Lilygran Wed 04-Jun-14 09:58:27

What's the origin of Reiki?

Galen Wed 04-Jun-14 10:58:29

Don't believe in it myself. Reckon it's like pink aspirin and blue aspirin, placebo effect

Silverfish Wed 04-Jun-14 11:03:55

hundreds of years ago(would have to look up the exact year), a Japanese priest called Mikoao Usui went into the wilderness to meditate and as he was on his return journey he was stopped by a huge bowl of light and he felt the rays of light go through his body and felt empowered to be a healer, which is what her did and Reiki has been handed down through the ages by each healer empowering the new student. I was given a 'family tree' of names of healers who had passed the skill down through the years. Look up; www.usuireiki.fsnet.co.uk
or, www.reikimedresearch.com. there are many more