Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Paganism

(169 Posts)
petallus Mon 02-Jun-14 15:46:38

I recently met someone who is a Pagan. I have become quite interested in it. I like the idea of 'worshipping' nature and having rituals which centre on nature.

I wonder if any Gnetters are Pagans.

Marelli Mon 02-Jun-14 16:36:54

I tend to believe in the power of Nature more than anything, petallus. My daughter is Pagan and many of her friends are. I attended the funeral of one of her friends a few years ago, and it was really rather lovely.

Gagagran Mon 02-Jun-14 16:44:54

www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/paganism/ataglance/glance.shtml

This seems to explain paganism in broad terms but it seems to have various strands to it. I'm not sure I'm any wiser really!

petallus Mon 02-Jun-14 16:50:23

Marelli one of our relatives had a Pagan wedding to a white witch recently and DD went to a Pagan funeral which she said was lovely.

Marelli Mon 02-Jun-14 16:59:13

It's something I'll never forget, petallus. smile

Galen Mon 02-Jun-14 17:12:47

My son is one!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Jun-14 17:54:27

I can't separate God from nature.

But never Paganism.

HollyDaze Mon 02-Jun-14 18:07:45

I've read a little bit about it but, like Gagagran, I felt none the wiser. It would be nice to hear about it from someone who is pagan or has read about it - and understands it!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Jun-14 18:16:02

For most people it will always have connotations of weirdness. Rightly so I think.

Clutching at straws comes to mind.

Iam64 Mon 02-Jun-14 19:08:04

Harsh Jingle shock. Faith is a very personal thing, and providing no harm is done in its name, each to their own surely

boheminan Mon 02-Jun-14 19:19:14

I don't think anyone truly of the old belief would admit to it on here anywaysmile

petallus Mon 02-Jun-14 19:34:37

Connotations of weirdness jingl? [smile}

That's a bit rich when you think of all the magical thinking that goes on in Christianity (superhuman being who created the world in seven days, angels, resurrection of the dead, and other miracles).

Marelli Mon 02-Jun-14 19:42:22

.....'and no harm done' - that's how the Pagan people I know like to live their lives. Can't be that bad, can it?
And why wouldn't they admit to it on here, boheminan? confused

Tegan Mon 02-Jun-14 19:58:24

There was a lot of witchcraft when I lived in Cornwall, but I kept away from it; not sure if that bordered on Paganism/is the same thing? Didn't a lot of the old beliefs get intergrated into Christianity many centuries ago? Must say it does fascinate me.

Ana Mon 02-Jun-14 20:05:24

I don't know much about either, but I do know that Paganism is not the same as Wicca.

MiceElf Mon 02-Jun-14 20:12:28

Slightly tangentially has anyone read Avalon by Marion Zimmerman Bradley? It tells the Arthurian story and in doing so describes many of the tensions between Christianity and what may have been pre Christian beliefs in early Britain. The ideas of transcendence / immanence are explored through the story without being explicitly addressed. It's beautifully written although I don't know if it's still in print.

Ana Mon 02-Jun-14 20:25:53

She seems to have written a whole series - Amazon has a few:

Avalon

Silverfish Mon 02-Jun-14 20:38:58

Im very much into paganism as a subject , however, although not a practicing Christian I still believe there is a 'god' somewhere. I do believe though that we should respect and care for the earth and look after it. as a reiki healer some Christians say I am not being a good Christian. I keep an open mind. Im also into wicca and have several 'witchy' books but I would never ever dabble in black magic. I believe in the power of prayer and oten I light a candle and offer up thoughts for anyone I know who is sick or in trouble.. I keep an open mind

Tegan Mon 02-Jun-14 21:20:08

That sounds like my take on things Siverfish; a deeply religious friend of mine once told me that she thought I was a very spiritual person even though I didn't share her faith. I took that as rather a compliment.

Ana Mon 02-Jun-14 21:22:37

I don't understand how reiki can be thought 'non-Christian'. Didn't Christ lay his hands on people to heal them? There are some very closed minds out there...hmm

feetlebaum Mon 02-Jun-14 22:24:17

It's all just wishful thinking - all of it...

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Jun-14 22:31:34

Most people associate paganism with witchcraft. And horrible things have been done to children in the name of that, even in this country. Best keep away from such things and stick to a religion grounded in love and kindness. Which is what true Christianity is.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Jun-14 22:37:44

Does seem to be a fact that most people need to believe in something. But Thor, the God thunder with his hammer - come on! grin

Sorry Micelf but Marion Zimmerman Bradley is the one Arthurian writer I can't stand!

Ana Mon 02-Jun-14 22:38:09

'Most people associate paganism with witchcraft'. Well if they do, they shouldn't. They should read up on it!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 02-Jun-14 22:38:27

of thunder