Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Sep-14 11:26:52

Do you believe in angels?

First-time novelist and Huffington Post blogger, Hattie Holden Edmonds tells us about an experience that made her question whether those uncanny coincidences in life might just be little miracles. A topic which she was inspired to explore further in her first novel, Cinema Lumiere.

Hattie Holden Edmonds

Cinema Lumiere

Posted on: Thu 25-Sep-14 11:26:52

(216 comments )

Lead photo

Hattie Holden Edmonds

"That first fizz of inspiration can come from anywhere, but for me there are several technicolour moments, that seem to be spotlighted in the run up to writing Cinema Lumière. One of the most extraordinary incidents took place over ten years ago, but even now, whenever I think about it, I feel a skitter of goosebumps across my skin...

‘Did that really just happen?’ I asked my friend Angelika as we sat on the bus, heading towards Kings Cross. We were both staring at each other, trying to find a rational explanation for something utterly irrational that had just happened.

Earlier that afternoon, Angelika and I, had been to the Tate Modern, to help take my mind, if only for an afternoon, off the recent death of my father from a stroke. Angelika had also lost a family member that year so perhaps naturally, our conversation as we’d stepped on the bus, turned to the possibility of life after death. Neither of us had very strong opinions on the subject and neither of us are religious.

We were the last passengers to board the bus and were sitting at the front on the ground floor, just by the luggage racks. As we rumbled off, we continued the conversation, but seconds later, without the bus having had a chance to stop again and let any other passengers on, we noticed an old man standing to our left, by the driver’s booth. He was dressed in an oddly old-fashioned three-piece suit made from Harris tweed. I knew this because my Dad had a thing about Harris tweed suits and as a child I loved going with him to his tailors.

"There's a part of me that believes that it was nothing less than a little miracle."

So it was the suit that I clocked first. Then I noticed that there was something sticking out of the man’s top jacket pocket, which I can only describe as an out-sized calling card. Short-sighted as I am, I could still make out what it said because the writing was in such bold print.

“Death is not the end, it is just the beginning.”

‘That is so bizarre,’ said Angelika, in answer to my initial question. But she wasn’t looking at me anymore.

I followed her gaze to where the man had been standing – but now there was only an empty space next to the driver’s booth. We scanned the rest of the ground floor but he wasn’t there either. The bus hadn’t stopped in the short distance since we first noticed him, so presumably he’d gone up to the top deck, although he must have been pretty nifty on his feet. I scooted upstairs to check, but he wasn’t there either.

Even though it took place over seven years ago, that afternoon has stuck in my mind with technicolour clarity. I’m still undecided about what exactly happened. Part of me wants to dismiss the encounter as simply a coincidence. And yet there’s another part of me, a part which lies a little deeper, that believes that the man who got on the bus with precisely the answer to mine and Angelika’s question poking out of his top pocket, was nothing less than a little miracle.

Have you ever experienced something similarly inexplicable? If so, I’d love to hear about it and how you chose to see it.

Hattie can be found spending most of her time writing, while running a ramshackle cinema in a fisherman's hut in Whitstable, and teaching meditation at a palliative care unit in Ladbroke Grove.
Her first novel, Cinema Lumiere, the story of a mysterious picture-house with only one seat, is out now. You can purchase a copy on Amazon.

By Hattie Holden Edmonds

Twitter: @gransnet

emafox Tue 11-Aug-15 13:20:13

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Luckygirl Mon 03-Aug-15 13:51:46

Do you take note of all the things that you think might happen but don't? Of course not - that is not nearly as interesting!

greatmum Mon 03-Aug-15 09:31:26

I have had what I call feelings; where I just Know something will happen, sometimes - on the day, sometimes in the future, which can be soon or unknown time!
Before phones, I knew when my sister would be on her way to visit me ! Or a close friend too;
I had vivid dreams too , telling me of a future happening ! The first I really took note of was one that showed me my son would be born without a midwife present! In the dream I told the midwife it would be so..as she left me 11pm, her comment was she would leave her black bag behind !!
My dreamhad been so real, I was there !
Needless to say in Real life, only one small detail was different ...the midwife ! In my dream it had been the one who de!ivered my first born! ( Who was a lovely person,). My son, and we didn't know in advance back then, was born by jet propulsion at 2 am approx: for m/wife had given me tablet to take, I now believe was to make me sleep! So I was rather dopey when hubby woke me as he was worried!
He had to put trousers on and rush across the road to public phone to ring m/wife , when he got back baby's head was born, and I had to tell him what to do to proceed with birth!
Fortunately I had read of women cut off by sudden bad weather doing this by herself over a phone !
So I was not worried at all, had watched my cat give birth to many litters, without need of a midwife lol !
So yes my son was delivered by his dad!! We were delighted, m/wife arrived 2.45am !! She was needed to cut the cord and clean up !
There were many times I 'saw' the future events , and yes they did happen though not quite exactly as in dream !
On camping hol in Wales, I had dream that on planned departure day there would be an almighty storm! And on our way home on a mountain narrow blind bend, this red sports car came round on our side of road hitting us head on !! I could remember the feelings and then knowing I was dead!!!
Whence I woke up wet with sweat !! I could not tell my hubby the whole dream, but it was imperative that we changed day of leaving ! So I just said about storm, and not wanting to pack a wet tent while it was raining !!
So we left on Friday got to mountain pass, knew it as we climbed and very on edge , almost to corner...red car came round on our side ....hubby pulled left ... How it missed us is?? ....hubby shaking from head to foot, as soon as possible we stopped in layby, but not for the view! Sat a while before going on, rest of journey OK, got home exhausted! Then I told him the end of my dream.
Yes we have helpers, whatever you wish to call them?
There is far more in this world than we will ever know ! So why say No you can't prove No anymore than those who say yes!!
It could be that mankind won't listen to/for these things!
I think we live stupid lives today, like a mad dog always chasing its tail !
I think it's the Chinese , living in villages, who have shrine in home to grand parents, to whom they thank everyday for their help! Lovely thought !
for yes I will always be there for offspring, and as the expression goes.... Move heaven and earth for them!

coles Mon 13-Jul-15 21:22:01

Hello all, I have spent some considerable time on this subject tonight, how blessed you all are to have had these wonderful experiences. I wanted to remark on someone's remarks on a theme of why aren't people kept safe from death, accidents, murders, etc. I have had many experiences over decades and as I understand it, we are looked after, but our lives are tangled up with the lives of others and all that we go through, in some fashion or another is not always pleasant. But when "bad" things happen, it triggers goodness in others to support, help, uphold. That is one of the ways that God shows us we are cared for. There is so much to this subject, there has been a lot of research done, by eminent scientists and the overall feeling now, is that there is no end to energy, all seemingly solid things, are not solid at all, and that includes humans. Like a good many I could write a book, which I am trying to do, but when one sees angels, souls leaving the body at death, fairies, orbs, aura's, around plants as well as humans, and faces in a switched off television screen, by three people, not just me. What more can I say. Blessings to all. Margaret.

bikergran Mon 30-Mar-15 20:48:15

we just don't know do we!
I remember reading somewhere once "Why isn't there a phone line to heaven"

nannieroz111 Mon 30-Mar-15 20:45:01

Me too flowers

bikergran Mon 30-Mar-15 20:39:58

ohh had goose bumps reading that Falcon

Falconbird Mon 30-Mar-15 19:50:50

Several months after my DH passed away I was walking along the pavement feeling very miserable when I became aware of a group of young men walking towards me. They all had dark hair and beards and weren't particularly tall, about 5.8"

As they drew near one of them stepped forward and presented me with a bunch of small lilies. They were quite wilted and I had the feeling that the young men had been looking for me for quite a while. They were very serious and thoughtful and somehow wary of their surroundings.

There is no explanation for it and it did happen because I put the flowers in a vase and my son and a friend saw them.

Who were these young men and why did them single me out - were they angels - I like to think they were.

bikergran Tue 24-Mar-15 21:08:50

thankyou mini

MiniMouse Tue 24-Mar-15 20:59:24

Glad the mystery's solved, but I can understand your disappointment. No-one's going to think you were silly flowers

bikergran Tue 24-Mar-15 19:58:15

thanks loopylou smile

loopylou Tue 24-Mar-15 19:48:09

Absolutely NOT bikergran, I'm just relieved you've resolved the mystery!
Heaven knows you've got a lot going on in your life so it's perfectly understandable to me.
Take care x

Ana Tue 24-Mar-15 19:47:25

Yes, I can understand your disappointment {{hug}}

bikergran Tue 24-Mar-15 19:44:58

thanks Ana to tell you the truth I am a little disappointed...but yes I will not doubt smile to myself one day.

Ana Tue 24-Mar-15 19:41:40

No you don't, biker! I know you must feel silly, but it's completely natural that a thing like that would slip your mind, especially with all the emotional turmoil you've gone through recently.

Just be thankful you solved the mystery to your own satisfaction, it must have been such a relief, and when you've had a chance to think about it all you'll be able to laugh about it I'm sure! smile

bikergran Tue 24-Mar-15 19:35:00

I feel utterly stupid and need to have my post removed!! I have sat and sat and thought all day, gone over and over in my mind as I know something cannot move on it's own it's impossible, I sat and tried to retrace my steps since Friday but nothing!! then!!! I was looking through my photos on my phone! it was then it suddenly dawned on me!! On Sunday I was taking a photo on the white kitchen table! I needed a white background! I now remember going to get the picture that GS did at nursery and I put it on the table but it slipped down the back whilst I took the photo.. I'm really sorry everyone, I feel a right I just knew there must be an explanation, I fele like I need locking away..confused

MiniMouse Tue 24-Mar-15 18:33:30

I've just reread my post and can't believe I typed 'ratonal' and 'interpretate' blush blush Must remember to check before clicking 'post message'!

bikergran Tue 24-Mar-15 13:36:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

harrigran Tue 24-Mar-15 12:30:03

My friend's son died suddenly at home and ever since she has found his bedroom light switched on at various times. She will go in to his room on a morning and it will be on. She has asked DH if he was doing it and swears he hadn't. She also finds candles lit in the lounge, those battery powered tea lights. She and DH have tried to make the candles light up without switching them on but they are not activated by sound or movement. I can not offer any help on this because I do not believe in ghostly happenings but after all these years it remains a mystery and it continues to happen at regular intervals.

bikergran Tue 24-Mar-15 11:38:06

MiniMouse Tue 24-Mar-15 11:19:00

I don't suppose there's a "ratonal" explanation, it just depends on how you choose to interpretate it. When my DF died, everywhere I went the shops were playing Vivaldi - he loved Vivaldi and it was played at his funeral. It wasn't a case of my being 'tuned in' (forgive the pun!), it was a fact that it was the shops' favourite at the time. It upset me, but was strangely comforting, too. Not the same as your experience, but odd that out of all the millions of composers in the world, that one was chosen at that particular time.

Whatever the explanation for your experience, take comfort from what's happened - it's bringing you a closeness to your DH.

bikergran Tue 24-Mar-15 10:48:53

annemac101 Thu 19-Mar-15 19:04:41

What wonderful stories. Yes I believe. I always think it makes you feel better about dying if you believe and if it turns out to be untrue then you'll never know but die believing you're going to a better place.
My brother passed away last May after a very short illness. I went for a sleep and was woken by someone sitting on my bed,I got the fright of my life as it was my brother looking so well and dressed in a suit and pink shirt with very small checks on it. I shouted, "Don't you frighten me like that" he said he was sorry he had left me to deal with everything then vanished. A few weeks later we were putting our house up for sale and had about four estate agents in each wanting the business. One turned up wearing the exact same pink checked shirt my brother was wearing when I saw him so he got the job.
Also one day when I was feeling very low I was on a bus when an elderly man dressed in a Salvation Army uniform got on ,he headed straight for my seat even although there were lots of seats on the bus. He said I looked troubled and I told him how I felt. He was easy to talk to and I felt I knew him. He eventually said this was where he got off the bus and said goodbye he told me not to worry God would take care of everything.
I looked out the window when he left and he was no where to be seen ther was no place he could have walked to without me seeing him,I always wondered if he was an angel.

pinkprincess Tue 03-Mar-15 01:09:04

A lot of things have happened in my life that I have no explanation for, but I still remain very sceptical about as I feel frightened by them.
My mother was the same, both of her grandmothers were spirit mediums and she believed she had inherited something from them but was frightened to use it.
One incident of my experience I will give here.

Eight years ago my niece-my sister's daughter-died of suicide.My mother was suffering from severe dementia at the time so we did not tell her of her granddaughter's death.She died the following year and in the week before her death she began calling out the names of her dead relatives, her parents and brother especially.Then she suddenly held out her arms and called out my niece's name.Two of my sisters, including my niece's mother were also present and heard this.As I said before, my mother had not been told of her death as she had stopped understanding anything

I am also aware of the effect of strong drugs given to seriously ill patients.I am a retired nurse and heard many very ill people hallucinating especially while under morphine.My DH had open heart surgery 12 years ago and when he was in ITU had tried to get out of bed while still attached to various drips and moniter leads.He told me afterwards that he kept seeing a group of children standing round his bed and had tried to get up to take them out of the room as they should not be there in this horrible place.When I visited him when he was back on a normal ward I arrived to find him shouting angrily at a young doctor who was asking him questions.He was very rudely telling this doctor to go away and keave him alone as he did not like nosy people.This was completely the opposite of his normal easy going nature. I aplogised to the doctor about my husband's behaviour, but he said that he understood as DH was still very ill and had had a lot of strong pain killing drugs going through his system.

carol123 Tue 03-Mar-15 00:53:07

my mother was admitted to hospital with suspected stomach cancer and had loads of tests. They were all negative and she was due to be discharged after an assessment in a few days time. I took my daughter (7) to see her as she seemed much better. All the way driving there my DD kept saying 'granny is going to die in the hospital' and I kept telling her no and that granny was getting better. I found it really upsetting. Anyway, a few days later she developed a blocked artery in her leg and they had to operate. They put the pre-med in and she had a major heart attack in the pre-op room (or whatever its called) Brought her back to the ward and she passed away, so never came home from the hospital.
So I do believe in premonitions, and I also talk to my mum when things are bad and I believe she helps if she can.

I think that we dont know a lot about the full capacity of our brain and that a lot of 'unexplained' things are developed in some people's brain and not in others eg premonitions, deja vue, sensing danger, seeing people who have died, knowing a future event etc etc. I often think of someone and then out of the blue they contact me after months of not seeing them but then again this could be coincidence.
One thing I am sure of is that there are an aweful lot of people who are fake and just in it for as much money as they can make out of vulnerable grieving people. Genuine mediums are really hard to find.