Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

The meaning of life..........

(72 Posts)
Mishap Wed 05-Nov-14 11:07:36

Being unwell at the moment and having to cancel so much of what I normally do has thrown up an interesting thought for discussion. I have always instinctively felt that life only has a point if I am being useful.

I spent a large amount of my life as a social worker, then moved over to working in the arts with a focus on disadvantaged groups. When I am well I am a school governor, I run the village library and book group, I run a community choir and do not charge for it, I do a lot of child care for my GC etc. etc.

I am not trying to blow my own trumpet here, as I am beginning to wonder whether this approach to life is in fact healthy. It is almost as if I do not think that I have the right to just enjoy myself.

I am being forced to sit back and let others do things for me and I find it quite uncomfortable and it is requiring some adjustment on my part.

Do others feel the same?

Is the meaning of life to be useful to others?..........discuss!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 19:45:12

Oh you didn't mean that did you? Right. Bryan H sang Galen's song. Sorry.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 19:46:36

Yes look. he did sing it

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 19:48:43

....although, going by the comments under that video... confused

merlotgran Fri 07-Nov-14 19:50:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIkUiD8N81k

They both sang it grin

Laughing at the dancing girls!!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 19:53:07

They sound surprisingly alike! grin Were they ever seen in the same room together?

That's my kind of dancing. grin

Galen Fri 07-Nov-14 19:55:45

Gawd jing that really takes me back!
Still love it though!

Oh tempora, oh mores!

Sympathise with Browning in a Toccata of Galuppis

'And those women, dear dead women
What became of all the gold
Used to hang and touch their bosoms?
I feel chilly and grown old'

Heyho! Only three weeks to Venice (which that poem was written about!)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 19:56:04

then Jason had a go

The dancing has come on a bit.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 19:57:29

It is a bit parky round here too tonight Galen.

merlotgran Fri 07-Nov-14 20:04:05

Neil Sedaka wrote it so he must have recorded it as well although I only remember the BH version.

Galen Fri 07-Nov-14 20:10:17

I ain't got the golen locks either.
Did you know they used a mixture with urine in it which they used to put on their hair, then spread it out over crow less sun hats and sit on their Venetian rooftops to bleach their hair to gold?

Galen Fri 07-Nov-14 20:10:45

I don't have golden locks either

Galen Fri 07-Nov-14 20:11:14

And crownless

Ana Fri 07-Nov-14 20:11:58

Must admit I prefer his other hits - Oh Carol, Breaking up is Hard to Do, Calendar Girl etc.

(What are crow less sun hats? confused)

Ana Fri 07-Nov-14 20:12:36

Oh! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Nov-14 20:14:42

I just used neat peroxide. (many years ago)

rosequartz Fri 07-Nov-14 20:27:40

I will be finishing my current modeling project within the next few days pompa I was looking forward to seeing you on the pages of 'Vogue'. grin

Will have a listen to these Neil Sedaka songs in a mo.

Someone has not heard of Neil Sedaka - how old are you, soontobe*?

Not boring jings I love it, with its change of key. I have had half a bottle of wine though, so most songs would sound lovely.

I like the penguin parody too.
So easily pleased.

rosequartz Fri 07-Nov-14 20:30:07

I do remember DD and her friend putting lemon juice on their hair and sitting out in the sun. They would probably have been better to go to Boots and buy some hair bleach.

Atqui Sat 08-Nov-14 18:05:16

Someone will probably tell me to lighten up, but I am having a chuckle remembering what Jess M said when a philosophy forum was suggested

"This forum stands as much chance of having a reasoned debate about the meaning of life as it does of solving advanced differential equations."

But perhaps there are several gransnetters who could solve differential equations

soontobe Sat 08-Nov-14 18:11:39

rosequartz
I am probably younger than most on this forum smile
I have heard of Neil Sedaka, but never heard any of his songs before.

pompa Sat 08-Nov-14 18:51:22

Rosequarts. if I was to appear in Vogue, it would have to be a double page spread.
Managed to get in Aeromodeller once and a pic of myself along with one of my models in a book on aeromodelling. Hardly bestsellers.

rosequartz Sun 09-Nov-14 17:25:27

Differential equations! I may have been able to solve them years ago when forced to do so, but wouldn't want to see another one. Ever!

soontobe I have heard of Neil Sedaka, but never heard any of his songs before.
Well, there's a treat in store for you!