Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

If you could start from scratch, what philosophical principles would you want to underpin our taxation system?

(104 Posts)
GrannyTwice Mon 13-Apr-15 18:58:37

anyone interested in having a discussion on this?

FlicketyB Mon 27-Apr-15 15:21:04

I am no defender of Non Dom status. I suggested in a post further back that it be granted for only 5 years. This would mean only those passing through on a career path would get it.

durhamjen Mon 27-Apr-15 17:04:08

That's what Labour are suggesting, Flickety. I think they took the idea from Richard Murphy of www.taxresearch.org.uk

NanaDenise Mon 27-Apr-15 17:32:24

So many complex taxes now. Years ago, you had a tax allowance when you were married. Then another tax allowance when you had children. If you hadn't paid any NI 'stamps', you weren't eligable for some benefits, but you had healthcare, dentist, medicine and glasses free. Then you had Child Benefit for the first two children paid to the wife/mother. Now, those are gone/changed and you pay your taxes and then get some back with Credits. Half the time, they get these wrong and you end up having to pay back overpayments that aren't even your fault. I won't even start about the unfairness of Council Tax and Business Rates. VAT at 20% on all sorts of essential things, not just luxuries. Who remembers the different rates of Purchase tax?

It is time to have a really simple approach - something that doesn't take armies of tax officials to administer and is difficult for people to avoid paying. Tax rates that are not so high that higher earners look for ways to avoid paying and a starting rate so that lower earners don't lose the will to work. Just explaining to my grandchildren how much money they will end up with when they start work after college/uni was a real eye opener.

Now, as a working pensioner, I ask my accountant to sort out my personal taxation and pay for the priviledge so I don't spend hours filling in the dreaded tax return.

Keep it simple is my suggestion for a better taxation model.