Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

There is definitely no loving God. Fact.

(613 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Oct-15 09:46:47

Early this morning, on the World Service, I heard the voice of a six year old boy crying out to the doctors treating him, "Don't let me die! Don't bury me!". The doctors, trying to reassure him, laughed and said, "You're not going to die".

It was in the Yemen. The little boy had just seen a three year old, put into the ground. He was wounded himself shortly afterwards.

He died. The doctors were unable to save him.

If you have heard that young voice on a video on the internet, you will agree with me.

Oldandverygrey Tue 26-Nov-19 10:31:24

Amen to your comment endlesstrife

endlessstrife Tue 26-Nov-19 10:04:43

God never promised perfection in this life, just the next. He’s told us what to do if we want to be saved, to believe in Jesus and to want to follow Him. We have the choice, free will. If God kept interfering with this life, we would never know Him, and that’s not why He created us. He wanted to have children that know and love Him, much the same as we do with our children.

Alexa Tue 15-Oct-19 00:23:19

St Teresa of Avila explained :

"Christ has no body now on earth but yours, no hands, no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes with which Christ looks out his compassion to the world. Yours are the feet with which he is to go about doing good. Yours are the hands with which he is to bless us now."

Smileless2012 Sat 18-May-19 22:32:13

Why Gonegirl? Why do you "hope this thread can lie quietly now"?

Gonegirl Sat 18-May-19 09:57:41

I hope this thread can lie quietly now.

Gonegirl Sat 18-May-19 09:56:15

* morethan2 * I know it was February when you posted on this thread, and I don't know if you still read GN. But I have only just seen your post, and I want to send love to you and yours. xxx

jings

Lisa63 Fri 17-May-19 18:10:06

AMEN?

Lisa63 Fri 17-May-19 18:08:29

We are all a fallen human race since Adam chose to disobey God, therefore suffering, murders, hunger, abuse etc etc are here. GOD has not caused these things HUMANS chose to disconnect from him, suffering is the consequence we live with..All children under the age of accountability are destined for HEAVEN.

BradfordLass72 Mon 06-May-19 04:20:28

Lyndiloo I am a published author but not in this case.

He decided to self-publish and it cost him far, far more than I was charging, which was only my petrol expenses, not my time, because I believed in his story and wanted to help get it out there.

It was some years ago but I found this link:

www.worldcat.org/title/healing-from-love-healing-through-love-kindness-and-respect-for-all-living-things/oclc/154308922

Lyndiloo Sun 05-May-19 15:32:23

BradfordLass Did you get your book published? I'd be very interested in reading it.

BradfordLass72 Sun 05-May-19 03:47:27

I long ago learned to be ambivalent.

Religions have given us ridiculous concepts about God and we have foolishly believed them (or been afraid to contradict).

Even if we faithfully believe the words of Jesus, none of what He said was written down at the time and we all know how things are 'embroidered' as they are passed down.

It's utterly foolish to blame God for the things evil and greedy men do.

If we truly and genuinely expect a loving God to stop wars, pain, suffering, why don't WE act in His place and do it?

I have seen miracles. In just one case, a child with 2 brain tumours and in her last days at Starship Hospital here, was healed by a man about whom I was writing a book. He had hundreds of testimonials of healing.

But even then, I was asking 'why this child?' Did I really believe God had decided to cure this one little girl and ignore all the others in the Oncology ward?

It's because we cannot answer such questions we feel helpless and bitterly blame a God we don't really believe in.

But if God (or the concept of God) has brought comfort and healing to people, then that can only be a good thing.

If God has generated a sense of dedication and purpose (as with Mother Teresa and many others), then that is His worth and His work, in this world.

Lyndiloo Sun 05-May-19 02:11:53

This is the age-old question of: if God exists he must be all-powerful, and all-loving. (We would all like to think that.)

I have a quote in mind (don't know who wrote it, but it works in all sorts of ways).

"To find the truth, seek out all evidence to the contrary."

And if you apply that logic, 'God' doesn't come out too well!

eagleswings Tue 26-Feb-19 07:50:02

So sorry for your sadness more than, it's so hard to see our loved ones suffer. However, I would propose that this is why a faith in God is even more important to those who are in pain. God promises so much more than this human struggle we find ourselves in. I believe the end of suffering and pain will come but it will be in God's time not ours. Whether we like it or not, God is intimately involved with everyone of His children. Our pain is His pain.
He is carrying us during these times. Feel His loving arms around you. God is outside human time limits but it doesn't mean He is any less involved. God is waiting with arms outstretched and He will run to meet us, we just need to open our hearts..xx

Doodle Mon 18-Feb-19 23:12:39

Oh morethan I am so sorry you are all going through such a hard time. I am very inept at explaining these things but I do not believe God brings these things to us. I can well understand why you feel as you do. Your whole family must be suffering unbearably. Innocent people suffering is one of the greatest barriers to belief/faith all I can say is that I do not believe God would do this to you and that he is there for you to turn to. Easy words for me and if I were in your situation I do not know how I would feel. I have the greatest sympathy for you I cannot imagine how you must struggle to hold together your son and beloved grandchildren through such sad times. I hope someone with a better way with words can offer some help to you. I mean no offence (and I am not some religious nutcase or over the top Christian) I do have faith and have been praying for your family since I first saw your thread about your DIL some time ago. God is with you more. It may not feel like it but he is and I hope you find some peace. I am so very, very sorry for all you are going through flowers

morethan2 Mon 18-Feb-19 14:43:54

This post title and the post itself has been popping in my head since christmas. I keep think Jings was right. If there is a god and I did believe until recently then why is my young DiL terminally ill, worse still why does she have to suffer so. Isn’t it bad enough that she knows she dying, isn’t it bad enough that she knows she won’t rear her babies why oh why does she have to suffer so much illness and pain. What I really can’t get my head around is why my innocence, kind, sweet grandchildren won’t ever remember how beautiful, vivacious their lovely mummy was. They are not only going to be robbed of their mummy but all they will remember is her looking and being so very very sick. Perhaps I’m getting bitter but I just think Jings is right what loving god would visit this horror on an ordinary loving family

SalsaQueen Mon 18-Feb-19 14:01:43

Commonsense and science tell me that there is NO God, never has been. People may as well believe in Santa Claus.

Rachel711 Sun 17-Feb-19 18:46:01

I'm with you Anniebach.
People have free will, and it's greedy selfish people that cause the wars in the world. It doesn't make sense to me to blame God for what humans do.
And maybe that little boy is with God now. I certainly hope so.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 04-Feb-19 13:21:57

Yes, we are told that we are made in God's image, but if you want to take a text literally that was probably always supposed to be metaphorical, you ought to remember that the first man and woman chose to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge.

Since then human beings are supposed to be able to distinguish between good and evil.

If we followed the commandments, or even just the one that says, "Thou shalt not kill!" neither children nor adults would be dying in fear and pain due to warfare.

So please, do not blame God for our sins.

Greenfinch Sun 03-Feb-19 09:07:21

NonnaBeth1 I do so agree with you. It will be Man who brings about the end of the world not God ,I believe. There is so much goodness in the world but also so much evil.We can't know everything but I believe we have to try and do our little bit to extend goodness and kindness and overcome evil.

Brahumbug Sun 03-Feb-19 08:49:06

Well the god of the bible is certainly not a loving god. He is a malevolent misogynistic mass murderer who endorses slavery, human sacrifice and genocide, to name a few of his crimes.

NonnaBeth1 Sun 03-Feb-19 07:01:42

I believe God is as heart-broken as we are by the awful suffering in the world. It's not what he wanted for us. However he has also given us free will. Freedom to make our own choices. He's given us a beautiful environment to live in, but we are squandering its resources, squabbling over territory, not looking after the poor and needy, so what do we expect? It's us human beings that have created all of this. We have nearly eradicated God from our lives, schools, hearts. So let's soften those hearts and take responsibility. It starts with us. My tiny first step towards making a change today is to smile at the first person I see and listen to Where Is The Love by The Black Eyed Peas.
Join me..? Wishing you a joy-filled day x

Alexa Sun 20-May-18 08:58:15

The version of God that is supposed to be able to intervene in this world is anthropomorphic. God is not Superman but is undivided wholeness, where suffering does not exist.

Billybob4491 Wed 14-Mar-18 17:56:35

A Minister, many years ago said there are no athiests in lifeboats. Food for thought.

Mapleleaf Wed 14-Mar-18 16:59:43

As I think I’ve said before, it is human beings that do these atrocious acts to each other not a God.

ladyjane10 Thu 01-Mar-18 00:41:37

Well,what can I say. I live my life in the best way I can. I try and live my life to help any one that needs any help. I have secondary progressive multiplesclerosis and breast cancer. I have a faith that seems to be dying. I agree with all of you. We call god father. How can a father stand back and do nothing. There is the concentration camps from the second world . So terrible . I attend the Christy hospital and to se some of the children there is heart wrenching. I don't have an answer, but the sad thing is I will still say my prayers tonight.