Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Are you an ex Christian?

(423 Posts)
Atqui Sun 17-Jan-16 16:44:53

On Radio 4 Saturday Live recently there have been a couple of people who used to be devout Christians who are now atheists. I was brought up by evangelical Christian parents and in my teens was serious about Christianity myself- to the extent that the 'swinging sixties' passed me by when I was at college .I indulged in the forbidden fruits during my twenties, but continued to be an ' a a carte Christian' . Now , in my sixties , I seriously doubt existence of God, although old habits and beliefs die hard. Has anyone else followed this path?

Pittcity Sun 17-Jan-16 16:52:55

I am the same Atqui. Was brought up going to Church regularly and studied to become a lay preacher. I never became one because I met and married a non church goer. I wouldn't say we are now atheists, we are "occasional Christians" who will go on special occasions, but we seriously question beliefs that I used to hold dear.

DotMH1901 Sun 17-Jan-16 17:06:41

Mmmh - I have never been a Christian - I grew up with an atheist Dad and a Mum who didn't hold much with organised religion. When my sister wanted to join the local Brownies we were told we had to show our baptism certificates to join. We didn't have any so Mum came clean to the Minister and asked if we could be baptised so we could join the Brownies. He was happy to do so but told Mum there would be a fee payable. Mum was outraged and told my Gran. Gran spoke with the vicar of her parish church which was CofE and he agreed to baptise both my sister and me for no charge. I was 6 and my sister was 9. No-one bothered to explain what was going to happen and I remember being quite startled when a man in a frock told me to stick my head over a bowl of water and then proceeded to draw on my forehead with said water! The certificate was quite pretty though. I am and have been Pagan for decades but I have been to Mass more than once with a Catholic friend and also attended Christmas Eve Midnight Mass at the local High CofE church where I grew up with my teenage years friends. I have attended various family weddings/funerals/baptisms in a variety of churches and chapels and also naming ceremonies (including my grandchildren). My personal view is that if a faith brings you comfort and help then it is doing good, if it tells you to harm someone else then it isn't and should not be listened to.

granjura Sun 17-Jan-16 17:07:07

Yes.

Coolgran65 Sun 17-Jan-16 17:14:10

I was brought up going to Sunday School and Church, although parents didn't do so they 'paid into' the church funds. The rector visited every year and had a wee glass to sustain him on his rounds.

I was confirmed at 14 and at around 16/17 I taught Sunday School, only because I was asked. It was sometimes quite a chore having been dancing on the Saturday night into the small hours.

Once I went to work I forgot pretty much about church attending only occasionally, ds was born and was christened.

It's many years since I was in church for a worship service.
We pay into the local church by DDebit, there are no visits from the church, we never go to church.

Dh and I had a conversation this past week about funerals etc. Where/what do you want/ what would you like..... (he doesn't like talking about this and I had to strike while the iron was hot - we had just left our financial advisor who said it was time to consider a LPOF etc)

I am sure it's possible to have a funeral service without using a Minister, folks here are inclined to always used a Church Minister but no way do I want some one standing up to deliver a eulogy who barely/doesn't know me (which happens too often). I told dh that I want a friend/family member to speak, let anyone who wants speak..... but they have to have known me well.

I no longer know what I believe in with regard to christianity - I believe in goodness and kindness.

hildajenniJ Sun 17-Jan-16 17:16:59

I was brought up a Methodist. My parents and grandparents were all tee-total. We went to Church morning and evening, and Sunday School in the afternoon. I became a Sunday School teacher in my late teens and continued until I went to Nursing school. After having my family I continued to regularly attend Church. An incident occurred when I worked in a Nursing Home that changed my mind about Christianity, and Methodism.
I looked after an elderly gentleman who used to attend my Church. After his admission to the Home he was desperate to go to Church. I asked if the disabled bus could come for him, as the Church had disabled access. The Minister was less than pleased! The gentleman had emotional issues, but I was sure that attending Church and getting him back to the home would not be a problem. The Minister made it clear that he was not happy with any of my arrangements and put up all sorts of objections, even saying that the wheelchair would be a hazard to other people! Such was his attitude, that it put me off going, and I've never been back. I still have faith in God, but not in the Church.

Pittcity Sun 17-Jan-16 17:25:59

hildajennij that is how I feel too, put off by attitudes in the church.

thatbags Sun 17-Jan-16 17:27:00

Technically, yes, I suppose. I was born to Catholic parents and schooled in Catholic schools so I suppose others identified me as Christian, even if I never did. A lot of Christ's supposed teachings are fine of course, but I don't believe he or anyone else (nor anything else, come to that) is or was a god.

Luckygirl Sun 17-Jan-16 17:28:24

My father was a raving atheist (a decision that followed his experiences in the war) but I went initially to a C of E school run by nuns - no choice in our area at that time. My Mum was interesting - she was brought up a catholic, but rejected that in a big way when she found out that her Dad (who had been an orphan) had been buggered by the priests in his childrens home. However that early indoctrination stayed with her and for a period she dragged us round every sort of church you could imagine - happy-clappy - the whole lot - searching for something, I know not quite what. Then when she found there was nothing there for her, she left it off and never went to any church again.

I have always been closely involved in music and have sung and played for many church services, as have my musical children. Not a problem for me or for the churches involved.

thatbags Sun 17-Jan-16 17:29:12

I've a notion that according to the RC church, I'm still a Catholic since I haven't been excommunicated, not to my knowledge anyway, not that I care.

Another silly labelling game so that the pope and his eschelons can claim that there are so many Catholics in the world when actually there aren't.

Luckygirl Sun 17-Jan-16 17:29:21

By the way - I was not a popular wee pupil at the nun-run school - I asked too many questions and that did not go down at all well!

thatbags Sun 17-Jan-16 17:31:05

Me too, lucky. "Glib" and "bold" were the least of the descriptions wink

Luckygirl Sun 17-Jan-16 17:32:51

I was thrown out of the guides because I would not carry the banner for church parade. I regard this as an honour! grin

thatbags Sun 17-Jan-16 17:33:37

grin

Crafting Sun 17-Jan-16 19:37:53

No believers in my family apart from me. Can't really explain why but I feel someone is there with me. I don't know if that is because it comforts me or because it's what I really believe. There are many obstacles to belief in God considering all the information now available about the creation of the world etc. Why bad things happen to good people etc. But still in the quietness of the day when my mind is troubled I reach out.

obieone Sun 17-Jan-16 20:11:24

When the chips are down, who else and what else is there?

granjura Sun 17-Jan-16 20:21:00

Nothing - form dust to dust, and that is absolutely fine by me.

thatbags Sun 17-Jan-16 20:31:18

Star dust. We're all made of star dust. That 'knowledge' is all I need. Can't say I feel the need to reach out to it. I'm all for reaching out to other human beings though, and to nature.

granjura Sun 17-Jan-16 20:50:14

Perfect indeed.

granjura Sun 17-Jan-16 21:51:43

Who remembers the bad old and quite recent days, when Protestants and Catholics would truly hate each other, and totally believe their faith had nothing in common with the other? Still the case perhaps in some parts of the world- not too far from us.

Seeing them worships and support each other here, and organise so many ecumenical events- is wonderful. They are also so much more respectful and tolerant of those, like me and many- who respect them but quietly say, not for me, thanks.

Anniebach Sun 17-Jan-16 22:23:09

I think it unfair to pass judgement on a country where there has been serious problems between RC and Protestants , Northern Ireland is an example where a country which has suffered greatly cannot be dismissed as two faiths who hated , it was political so very unfair

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 17-Jan-16 23:00:09

I'm not sure it's possible to be an "ex-Christian". Is it really possible, when you have truly believed, to be absolutely certain that there is no Christian God? Completely turn your back on all things Christian? I can't.

Something in that hymn. "Oh Love that wilt not let me go"? Perhaps.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 17-Jan-16 23:01:15

I agree that it was political in N. Ireland. Nothing whatsoever to do with religion. Just labels.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 17-Jan-16 23:03:08

thatbags It's very pretty to say we are "star dust". But can you be sure the stars aren't made of human dust?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 17-Jan-16 23:05:06

I'm all for looking after nature, but I would never pray to the garden birds when I am feeling a bit down.