Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

How should our churches modernize to attract younger people?

(40 Posts)
Granddaughter Thu 18-Feb-16 10:14:43

The scale of the Church of England’s atrophy has been starkly set out by figures presented to its general assembly which show that church attendance will continue to fall for the next 30 years.
Previously, the church predicted its decline in numbers was likely to continue for another five years before recovering.
But John Spence, the Church of England’s finance chief, said yesterday that the decline was expected to continue for another three decades, with today’s figures of 18 people per 1,000 regularly attending church falling to 10 per 1,000. He added that an 81-year-old was eight times more likely to attend church than a 21-year-old.
“On all likely measures of success, given the demographics of the church, it is unlikely we will see a net growth in church membership within the next 30 years,” said Spence. “I could have given you other facts, but I think you get the point.”
The figures illustrate the challenge facing a church whose congregations are ageing as the millennial generation increasingly spurns organised religion.
The church said in January that the number of people attending Church of England services each week had fallen below a million for the first time, with Sunday attendances falling to 760,000. Projections suggest that Sunday attendance could drop to 425,000.
There are no comparative figures available for the numbers in Britain regularly attending services for other religions.
A church source suggested the 30-year prediction was “much gloomier” than previous forecasts. But it did not take into account the potential impact of the church’s emphasis on evangelism and its £72m programme of “renewal and reform”, the source added.
The programme is aimed at modernising the church and increasing by 50% the number of priests being trained, to 600 recruits a year. It also involves shifting funds away from struggling rural parishes with small and elderly congregations to urban churches which are regarded as having potential for growth.
The programme involved risk, said Spence, a former Lloyds Bank executive. He said that along the way some things would “not work”.
Arun Arora, a church spokesman, said: “The reference to 30 years is based on projections which assume no change, and underscore the importance of the renewal and reform programme. They do not factor in the changes being proposed. Most crucially, as the archbishop of Canterbury said this morning, we trust in the grace and transforming power of the spirit of God, who empowers and equips the church.”
In a separate session the synod called on the government to launch an independent review of the impact of benefits sanctions after hearing anecdotal accounts of hardship and humiliation from bishops, clergy and lay members.
Speakers acknowledged the need for checks on the benefits system to deter abuse, but said the sanctions system was punitive, aimed at the most marginalised and vulnerable, and that it created a climate of fear and anxiety.
Sanctions made many claimants feel under suspicion, said Malcolm Chamberlain, of Sheffield. The “highly punitive regime” led to people “begging, borrowing and stealing to meet daily needs”.
He cited a case of a claimant being sanctioned for failing to attend a benefits interview through being at a funeral, and another case of sanctioning when the claimant was being interviewed by police after his house was burgled.
Elliot Swattridge, of the church’s youth council, said: “The system is not just broken, but is cruel, even deadly.”
Catherine Pickford, of Newcastle, which hosts one of the UK’s largest food banks, said that for many claimants sanctions felt like “an arbitrary and dehumanising [punishment] for being unemployed”.
According to Simon Taylor, of Derby, the impact of sanctions lasted far beyond the period of withdrawal of benefits. “Sanctions are not removing dependency but perpetuating and increasing dependency. This is a counterproductive system.”
The former Conservative MP Sir Tony Baldry urged the church to start a mass lobbying campaign of MPs over the issue of the state’s benefits sanctions. Meetings with MPs at constituency surgeries would generate correspondence from them to ministers and get questions raised in parliament, he suggested

paddyann Mon 27-Mar-17 10:46:54

there are churches closing allover the country and like here ministers doing services in two or three areas each Sunnday as theres a shortage of ministers too.My local minister retired 3 years ago....he's busier than ever,and this is a man who used to do 5 weddings on a Saturday and a couple on a Sunday AFTER his service and christenings.He's been called out of retirement as locum for 4 churches and I can guarantee that every one he goes to will be packed.There was a Book called the Singer not the Song ...and thats whats happening here.Its not the religion thats the draw its HIS take on it which is much more inclusive than most others I know.And I have met a lot in 40 years of wedding photography

maisiegreen Sat 29-Apr-17 19:01:53

The church should remember that we all have something in common - we age. The church, like the National Trust, is getting its knickers in a twist because young people don't do it, and forget that (with the exception of Evangelical churches) they're both always been most popular with older people.
Cathedral worship is more popular, because many church goers want tradition. Our Cathedral has beautiful music and great sermons and,yes, is unashamedly traditional. It's full of refugees from churches that have tried to be more up to date.
I can't stand the mandatory choruses that have replaced our beautiful old hymns, and the dumbed-down liturgy.
Religion is supposed to be mysterious and different from our everyday lives.

Alexa Tue 02-Jan-18 12:09:51

Churches cannot modernise. Any institution that insists upon its creed being adopted by all members, is defunct in a modern age where independent thought is paramount.

There may be a future for Quakers and Unitarians which are more liberal and creedless sects. It is unfortunate that pastors have to serve all members of their flocks including members whose theology remains at the level of childhood,

Alexa Tue 02-Jan-18 12:12:34

Paddyann's OP is about a charismatic minister's success. Personal charm can work for evil as well as for good.

Alexa Tue 02-Jan-18 12:15:46

Sorry just realised Paddyann's of 23/7/17 not the OP. However still an interesting point of view.

Alexa Tue 02-Jan-18 12:21:58

The OP, by Granddaughter presumes that the church can remain a viable centre for the practise of practical justice. This is apparent. However many people are turned away in spirit because membership is attached to the Virgin Birth.

EnglishRose Tue 02-Jan-18 15:51:28

Our Methodist chapel is thriving, not so the CofE church, although in other villages it is doing well. OH and I are vols in our Cathedral and Services there are full, especially at Easter and Christmas. Packed to the gunnels! A nephew is training to be a Baptist Minister near Bedford and that is always full.

Perhaps the decline is twofold? More women work outside the home than ever before (I'm told)! so Sundays is a day of food shopping, housework and catching up with family. The succession of Archbishops of Canterbury over the past 20 years or so seem not to be in touch with the people. Plus they have allowed themselves to become too politically involved whereas I believe strongly Church and State should be entirely separate.

Cabbie21 Thu 11-Jan-18 10:07:02

In implementing change in a church, how can it be wise or sensitive for a new vicar to arrive and immediately alienate the existing congregation? ( around 50 people ). Everyone was ready for changes, welcomed the prospect, but not in the insensitive, high handed and almost contemptuous way the old has been swept away overnight. I foresee an empty church within a few weeks.

Morgi Wed 07-Mar-18 20:26:35

I one saw a group of young priests in the street, in NYC break dancing to Luther Vandross singing OH come all ye faithful.

Now that was groundbreaking and modern.

olliebeak Fri 14-Sep-18 09:57:58

I go to an Anglo/Methodist in a very 'underprivileged' area of Liverpool.

Last Sunday we had more young people in church than older ones - there was a mixed group of friends aged around 10-14, who had all come to Morning Service without their parents smile. Children often take part in services - including doing Bible Readings and taking collections.

We also have a small 'Worship Band' that has three teenage members and an 'under 10' who wants to join them.

It's a real blessing to see so many young people who want to learn more about Jesus and how to follow him in their lives.

Judie Sun 21-Oct-18 15:09:48

Many people these days do not believe in s benevolent being sat in the sky interested in the smallest detail of their lives.if god did exist then it is very cruel,callous and malevolent ,what being would create something as amazing as human life the torture it with disease ECT just because it didn't do as it said.
The church may do many good things for the homeless and needy,but the Catholic church still won't let women become priests and think that an elected man is infallible !!

Doodle Sun 21-Oct-18 20:54:37

God did not create the problems in the world He is with us as we struggle to cope with what life has in store.

Lynne59 Mon 22-Oct-18 08:57:52

Religion is a very out-dated idea. Young people, these days are generally more aware that science is FACT, unlike religion which is just a set of beliefs.

Religion is one of the main causes of conflict throughout the world.

I don't think ANY religion should be taught in schools - quite the opposite, I disagree with any religion being taught. Children should have instilled in them a set of morals - nothing at all to do with religion - that it is wrong to hurt another person or an animal, wrong to steal, lie, to destroy things, etc. Parents, grandparents and schools need to teach those values.

Religion is an antiquated brainwashing belief that has no place in society.

Lynne59 Mon 22-Oct-18 09:01:02

I've just noticed that the original post was a couple of years ago!