Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Persecution of Christians

(9 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 28-Mar-16 20:41:45

Sadly so true Penstemmon

absent Mon 28-Mar-16 20:21:52

What more is there to say? You have already said it, Alea: Quite rightly, thinking people of conscience condemn the persecution of religious minorities. Whether majority or minority religions or majority or minority sects, such actions are sickening and incomprehensible.

Penstemmon Mon 28-Mar-16 20:13:02

I did not mean people in Lahore would not be angered and upset but there have been many atrocities meted out against mainly Muslim communities in Pakistan,Turkey etc. which have not had the mainstream response to Paris/Brussels .

Penstemmon Mon 28-Mar-16 20:09:16

This persecution/racism is evil. It may strike more of a chord in the west where there are a greatr number of Christians. The barbaric use of crucifixion has been used for a while by these murderous groups Apparently the chosen form of execution for gay men. Horrific and vile.

Luckygirl Mon 28-Mar-16 19:52:08

Persecution of any religion is wrong.

Alea Mon 28-Mar-16 19:47:22

Oh dear sad this has not struck a chord and seems to be of less interest than e.g. odoriferous washing machines tbusad

TerriBull Mon 28-Mar-16 18:30:22

oops repeated intolerance twice in first sentence that was a mistake.

TerriBull Mon 28-Mar-16 18:29:01

Yes I agree Alea, I fear the intolerance of proselytising religions and the intolerance that goes with it. I am sorry, not only for Christians in Pakistan and the Middle East, few remain now, who live on constant fear but also people such as Yazidis.

I have read about the Indian priest who was allegedly crucified on Good Friday, please God that didn't happen.

The world appears to be a very grim place at the moment.

Alea Mon 28-Mar-16 17:41:51

Quite rightly, thinking people of conscience condemn the persecution of religious minorities.
How much thought is given to Christian persecution these days however, especially in Thirld World and developing countries?
The latest atrocity in Lahore deliberately targeted Christians, many of them children, on the admission of the Pakistan Taliban.
And on Good Friday ISIS terrorists carried out their horrific threat to crucify a priest who was kidnapped by the jihadis earlier this month. Father Tom Uzhunnalil was allegedly seized when four armed militants stormed an old people's home in Aden in Yemen on March 4 when they also shot dead nuns working there.
I am sickened by the cruelty inflicted on religious groups, whoever they are, ostensibly in the name of religion, but really in the name of power politics.