Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

God is a question, not an answer

(107 Posts)
thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 06:13:36

Title of essay by William Irwin brought to me by Bo Winegard on Twitter.

Allowing that understanding God as a question rather than an answer is a very good way of putting it, there is no mention in it that I could find on a cursory reading of people like me who don't care one way or the other. I think a lot of people don't understand the concept of suspended belief, where one just doesn't put any effort into believingor doubting something because one doesn't think it is worth any effort. I think my suspension of belief (or doubts about, whichever way you want to look at the question) in gods, has enhanced my life and made it less cluttered up with stuff I don't need.

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 14:28:08

ab, why should I not challenge a belief or idea (whatever it is) that I don't hold? Would you say the same thing about, say, a political belief?

You are equally free to challenge a belief that I hold and that you don't, e.g. that god's do not exist. You would not be attacking me as a person, only the belief I hold.

People have rights; ideas and beliefs don't. All ideas and all beliefs can be questioned and such questioning, or challenging, is not an attack on any person: it's an attack on a belief or belief system. Criticising a belief or an idea is not ramming anything down anyone's throat. It's just explaining why one disagrees.

Just as it would be in a political discussion, or one discussing something else, like one's preference for certains foods over others.

Spmeone being argumentative about atheism doesn't hurt me. The most it can do is make me think about what other people believe. I think that's the same when someone is argumentative/challenging about theism and all its associated ideas.

Faith may not be an idea, but it is certainly something based on ideas, just as atheism or one's political stance is. All those ideas, yes, all of them, are up for challenge and discussion, and none of that challenging or discussing is an attack on people.

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 14:31:29

Anyway, the point of the OP was not to challenge anyone's beliefs/faith. It was really just agreeing that god is a question not an answer. Surely I can appreciate that and agree with it without someone getting upset?

Synonymous Tue 29-Mar-16 14:55:11

anniebach was just thinking more about the last bit you said and the other side of the equation struck me as in 'what do we achieve then by not following that'?
For example, I would just make myself unwell as I can't deal with confrontation or arguments. I can manage a well reasoned discussion but even then I need to back off or else it wipes me out.
Another example is that perhaps someone gets really entrenched in their own opinion because they are protecting their position rather than the veracity of the facts. Perhaps in the process that person doesn't get a chance to think about your words and of course that can happen even if kindly put. Often it can take a long time for that person to recall (even what was said kindly) but eventually they may well do so.
In the end all that matters is giving someone something different to think about and 'winning the argument' shouldn't even enter into it. Even if we mistakenly perceive that we have won It is not even 'our' victory since it is just a reasoned debate or discussion. Many discussions are just hot air as there is no way anyone will 'win'. No point getting a head of steam really, save your energies! grin
It is interesting to read what people think or their opinions of events or situations and even beliefs as it gives clues as to where they are coming from and often, dare I say, why they are in the situation they are in!

Well, that has 'done me in' so am off to put the kettle on. blushbrewsmile Have a cupcake with me!

Chrishappy Tue 29-Mar-16 15:14:22

IA friend once told me she would rather die believing in God and then find out there wasn't one rather than not believe in God and find out there is one !! confused

HellsBells Tue 29-Mar-16 15:22:57

I do believe in God and happen to be a Christian. Even if I didnt believe in God the teachings of Christianity are a good way to live. Although having said that all faiths including Christianity have fundamentalist leanings which is very divisive and off putting.

grandMattie Tue 29-Mar-16 16:23:12

I apologise if I have offended anyone.

I'm sorry people have had a bad experience with so-called Christians. As you say, jug, it is extremely unkind of them, as people, leave the Christianity angle of it

To be a good person is certainly not the prerogative of Christians - look at the Dalai Lama. I believe he probably has a better chance of the "other place" than many Christians, me included. And, I too prefer the thought of believing there is a better place to go to once dead, than not, be there a God or not. But - it is my own belief and opinion!

ThornsdaleJude Tue 29-Mar-16 16:28:50

Jesus is a good place to start looking for evidence for the existance of God. There are references to him from historical sources apart from the Bible. He claimed to be God. So was he mad, bad or God?

Anniebach Tue 29-Mar-16 16:33:50

thatbags, my faith is part of me , it is not an opinion, that you are an atheist is of no concern to me and I wouldn't be so ill mannered as to question you as to why you are an atheist. A person faith belongs to the person who has it, no one else, in my opinion challenging my faith is no different to me asking you do you enjoy sex on the kitchen table and if so with whom

Izabella Tue 29-Mar-16 17:24:57

i think intolerance is the problem, not if you believe or not. I personally found it difficult backpacking through parts of the USA last year. When asked repeatedly what church I belonged to ( that's none ) my answer was met with genuine disbelief. A friend had engaged in conversation with a couple the previous evening. On leaving next day she was asked if they could take a photograph of her ^ " as they wanted to show their family what an atheist looked like." ^

bookdreamer Tue 29-Mar-16 17:54:38

As for me I never understand thatbags posts. Always too deep for me and too many words.

baNANAGran3 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:28:05

Luckygirl - I agree, no one actually knows.

Whether one believes or not, if the world's population, of whatever religion or non religion, lived their lives by the 10 Commandments oh what a lovely world it would be. Not likely to happen of course but a nice thought.

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 20:16:51

Excuse me, ab, but I didn't question anybody about their faith. You chose to feel threatened or hurt by what I said about ideas and beliefs being, in theory, open to question. I was not talking about any particular person's ideas or beliefs. Just as you don't care what my beliefs are, I don't care what other people's beliefs are but if I hear about a belief I'm allowed to talk about it, to consider it in conversation with others, if they so choose. Anyone who doesn't want to discuss an idea or a belief doesn't have to.

bookdreamer, perhaps you should just stop reading my posts then? They are not obligatory, you know, and I wouldn't mind in the least smile

durhamjen Tue 29-Mar-16 20:18:19

For someone who doesn't put any effort into believing or doubting something because you do not think it is worth the effort, you seem to have put a lot of effort into this thread, bags.
I wonder why you started it.

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 20:19:14

Anyway, as I said before, I like the idea of god being a question rather than an answer, but I discovered, when trying to exlain it to MrBags, that it's quite difficult. I'd better read the article again.

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 20:20:25

Because I believe in discussing things, dj, in airing ideas. It helps my understanding of the world. Why else?

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 20:25:40

Actually, the artile linked to in the OP answers your question very well, dj. Take a look if you really want an answer and weren't just baiting.

durhamjen Tue 29-Mar-16 20:25:40

Who is Bo Winegard and why does his/her opinion matter?
Should I put any effort into reading his/her article and why/ why not?

obieone Tue 29-Mar-16 20:25:55

Do you come to many conclusions in life?

obieone Tue 29-Mar-16 20:26:31

post to thatbags

durhamjen Tue 29-Mar-16 20:26:40

Sorry, William Irwin's article.

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 20:29:21

Bo Winegard is somebody who posts links to interesting things. That's all I know. I mentioned his name out of politeness and because someone else might want to look at his and Irwin's stuff.

Also, secondarily, to show that Twitter isn't the hell-hole some people portray it as. It's full of interesting people.

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 20:30:17

So you were just baiting, as usual. Hey ho.

Penstemmon Tue 29-Mar-16 20:31:05

I can go withat thought... I often wish I could have faith in a deity..but too many questions unanswered...
Need to explore Quaker philosophy more thoroughly...

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 20:31:17

Some, yes, obi, but they are always open to improvement and tweaking into better shape.

thatbags Tue 29-Mar-16 20:32:31

Oh good, pen. I'm glad someone else found the idea interesting. I thought someone(s) would.