Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Help needed to track down hymn

(9 Posts)
mcem Sun 24-Jul-16 10:03:05

The Rev John Bell has done a fine job in using many traditional Scottish folk tunes for his superb hymns. He was instrumental in producing an excellent New hymn book for the Church of Scotland which has become very popular and is not 'happy-clappy'. I suspected that this was one of his efforts and was pleased when this was confirmed.
The question arose when my daughter heard a hymn sung to her favourite song from childhod ( for the same reason that greyduster gave). It drifted from the open windows of the little RC church next to her house and she rang me to ask about it.
Thanks to GN I've been able to pass on your answers to her and for that we thank you.

Elegran Sun 24-Jul-16 09:34:26

The Corries - www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKvB3g3HEPQ

Greyduster Sun 24-Jul-16 09:16:02

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to hymn tunes, too. I don't like "happy clappy" church music. But many traditional hymn tunes have been adapted from folk tunes - Ralph Vaughan Williams was a great one for doing it. I love WMT - I used to sing it to GS to get him to sleep.

Maggiemaybe Sun 24-Jul-16 08:08:52

Way back in my Sunday School days, some bright spark adapted hymns for us children to fit popular TV themes of the time. They were dreadful. One that still pops into my head occasionally like a foul earworm was "God is good, we come before Him" to the tune of Z Cars shock

Nelliemoser Sat 23-Jul-16 22:20:37

Oh Dear! I do wish they wouldn't do that. It's a lovely folkey tune but it does not go with a hymn.

I find such adaptations just sound embarrasing. They don't seem right for the context to me.
I am a right grumpy old woman about things like this.

GandTea Sat 23-Jul-16 19:09:13

My Soul is Filled with Joy

The Word of Life (In a Byre Near Bethlehem)

These are also to the tune of WMT

mcem Sat 23-Jul-16 19:09:07

Many thanks!

merlotgran Sat 23-Jul-16 18:26:01

Holy Is Your Name

mcem Sat 23-Jul-16 18:20:30

Can anyone help me to find a hymn sung to the tune of Wild Mountain Thyme?
My daughter heard it recently but can't track it down.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.