Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Struggling with my Christian belief

(306 Posts)
PRINTMISS Sun 19-Mar-17 17:35:45

My question is how do they know? As Christians we are promised the Kingdom in Heaven, or a place in Hell, according to how we live, but there are many religions in the world, they cannot all be right. In my younger days as a Christian (I count myself one still, but do not practice so much) I was told that God (if that is who you believe in) gave us all 'minds' so that we could decide for ourselves the course we want to take in life, and I think that is a good way to look at life, it is what we make it and we are able to believe in whatever we want to believe. I have no doubt hapgran that your children and grand-children will make their own ways in life - and remember "In my father's house are many mansions"

Nannarose Sun 19-Mar-17 17:28:26

Hapgran, I can only suggest that you look around among your Christian friends and find, as Newquay did, someone you can trust to talk this over with. Not someone who will give you a glib answer that you want to hear, or a'straight line' believer, but someone who will give you the time and thoughtfulness that you need.

I hope that you can find someone to help you contain these worries in a way that honours both your belief and the love that you have for your children; I think that you will, as many Christians spend time struggling with this.

rosesarered Sun 19-Mar-17 17:21:25

Try not to worry about this Hapgran as Heaven and Hell are man made constructs,
We don't know what lies ahead, but if something does, it will be nothing that we will have thought of.

whitewave Sun 19-Mar-17 17:19:19

I don't think that the Bishops believe in hell do they?

Newquay Sun 19-Mar-17 17:17:33

Oh dear this is a tough one. When I became a Christian as a young adult a long time ago I spoke to an older wiser man about this as I was worried about my dear old Dad who was already dead, had had a really hard life and was not interested in Christianity at all-he simply survived. This wise man said to me that there is a gap between heaven and hell and we will not be aware of the other side-or how could it be heaven? I can only hang onto that. . . .

hapgran Sun 19-Mar-17 17:06:44

I am a practicing Christian, but becoming increasingly upset with the thought that, if I am to believe in hell, then that is where my non-believing children and grandchildren are going. I think this could turn me away from my faith as I can't bear it. Any thoughts out there..?!