Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Billy Graham

(34 Posts)
Synonymous Sun 25-Feb-18 12:44:18

Well done good and faithful servant! Matthew 25:23 flowers

vampirequeen Mon 26-Feb-18 11:57:02

He wanted Nixon to nuke North Vietnam.

I went to one of his rallies. I was horrified. It reminded me of the Nazi Nuremburg rallies. Everything was stage managed to heighten emotion and sense of oneness with the group. It was scary to see normally sane people giving their will over to 'the message'. They weren't being evangelised. They were being brainwashed.

Luckygirl Mon 26-Feb-18 12:06:09

Scary indeed vampire - I have seen films of these rallies and they give me the creeps.

Anniebach Mon 26-Feb-18 12:25:06

I agree .Nonnie, what hasn't been said is he bailed Dr King out of jail, Dr King joined him to preach at a crusade, in the fifties he tore down segregation ropes rigged up at a crusade .

He turned down a million pound contract with a tv company to continue with his crusades . He refused to visit apartheid S.A. He corresponded with Mandela whilst he was in prison.
I think the following words sums up his faith -

There is no scriptural basis for segregation, to the KKK and
To a white audiance -

We have been proud and thought we were better than any other race , any other people, we are going to stumble into hell because of our pride

there have been satanic messages sprayed on a church wall in America.

Bridgeit Mon 26-Feb-18 14:40:45

I also attended one of his rallies (at the age of 14) even at that age I was averse to the mass euphoric hysteria he encouraged & brought out in the audience. Definitely had a cult feel to it .

Synonymous Mon 26-Feb-18 15:01:42

The reputation and legacy of Rev Dr Billy Graham stands and speaks for itself. He was always paid the standard basic Minister's salary. He did not profit in any other way from the work he did for the Foundation which he founded and all moneys have been accounted for in that respect and are available for inspection. He was a very erudite and well educated man who had a real gift of communication. He understood the scriptures so well that he was able to help others to better understand. Over a great many years he wrote an amazing number of books which sold by the millions and contributed to many publications Through all that work over those years he earned royalties on books and payment for articles. He could have done even more if he had chosen to and was offered a great deal of money which he turned down. When you consider just how very wealthy some present day authors have become who have not lived as long or written so much it is hardly surprising that he too was a multi millionaire. The thing that surprises me is how little in monetary terms he was left with at the end of his days as it is not easy to give money away responsibly. I was reading a biography of R.G. LeTourneau, the rich American Christian Industrialist, who said that he had been totally focussed on giving away his money "but the Lord has a bigger shovel" and that is what happens when His people do His will. (Look him up.) There truly is nothing inherently wrong in having money.
Mrs Ruth Graham was a prolific author in her own right and very much involved in the work with her husband to the degree that they were jointly awarded the American Congressional Gold Medal in recognition of their work. When they retired they returned to the little community of Montreat where they continued to live in a simple way.

Billy Graham was called of God to preach the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ and Billy served Him all his days living in the truth of His Word. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" Heb 13:8 and He does not change according to Society's views or political correctness of any given time. Eph 4:11-16 please read. God's Word is challenging because it is about sin and there would be no need to call for social justice if we lived in a truly Christian world because the Christian is taught to understand that. Billy Graham challenged people when he preached the Word and will continue to do so through the work he leaves behind him. God does not call everyone but those who search for Him will find Him.

Anniebach Mon 26-Feb-18 15:15:01

Synonymous x

mumofmadboys Mon 26-Feb-18 18:04:39

Good post Synonymous

vampirequeen Mon 26-Feb-18 22:26:53

If he followed the teachings of Christ how could he consider the use of nuclear weapons against the North Vietnamese to be appropriate or be anti-Semitic (odd when you consider that Christ was Jewish).