Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Holy Week

(90 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 23-Mar-18 09:18:47

Next week is Holy Week and this year I am not able to share
The Words From The Cross with others.

If I post one every day starting tomorrow I hope someone here will read and so share with me

Grannatu Fri 23-Mar-18 19:35:25

I'd like to walk with you too x

Newquay Fri 23-Mar-18 19:37:36

I'll share your posts too Annie thank you-wonder how many of us are Christians on here? Haven't seen any posts from Mumofmadboys lately. . . .

mumofmadboys Sat 24-Mar-18 06:31:07

Hi Newquay. I'm still around! Our internet has been down recently so not posted much. Nice to be missed though! It will be good to mark Holy Week on here. Encouraging that so many of us are keen to follow through the week together. Thanks Annie.

Bathsheba Sat 24-Mar-18 07:45:41

I’ll be here sharing it with you Annie. Very much looking forward to seeing your posts - thank you x

TwiceAsNice Sat 24-Mar-18 08:08:04

I will share Annie although hoping to go back to my church tomorrow after a spell away

Jangran99 Sat 24-Mar-18 08:59:50

I will come with you Annie.I will be following Christ's Passion through the Stations of the Cross every day this week, culminating in the glory of Easter.

Anniebach Sat 24-Mar-18 09:09:02

Thank you all so much for joining with me x I have started a thread for The Words

MesMopTop Sat 24-Mar-18 09:58:20

Although I’m not a Christian, I would also like to share with you all. We don’t need to be of the same faith or persuasion to pick out the love, kindness, caring and sharing that seems to be common to all. I will enjoy sharing with you, thank you

farview Sat 24-Mar-18 16:35:10

Oh lovely,I will definitely read them Annie x

MiceElf Sat 24-Mar-18 17:28:15

With you in spirit Annie.

Easter Wings
BY GEORGE HERBERT

Lord, who createdst man in wealth and store,
Though foolishly he lost the same,
Decaying more and more,
Till he became
Most poore:
With thee
O let me rise
As larks, harmoniously,
And sing this day thy victories:
Then shall the fall further the flight in me.

My tender age in sorrow did beginne
And still with sicknesses and shame.
Thou didst so punish sinne,
That I became
Most thinne.
With thee
Let me combine,
And feel thy victorie:
For, if I imp my wing on thine,
Affliction shall advance the flight in me.

Newquay Sun 25-Mar-18 00:29:56

Good to hear from you again Mumofmadboys-worrying when folks "drop out". Yes thanks Annie, looks like a lot of us will be joining you.

Anniebach Sun 25-Mar-18 11:11:42

Palm Sunday

"Ride on ride on in majesty, in lowly pomp ride on to die"

MiceElf Sun 25-Mar-18 13:37:23

And for today:

The Donkey
BY G. K. CHESTERTON

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil’s walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.

Anniebach Sun 25-Mar-18 14:02:11

I love that poem Micelf

lemongrove Sun 25-Mar-18 14:24:31

Wonderful poem isn’t it?
G.K was great writer.

fourormore Sun 25-Mar-18 22:30:15

Anniebach what a lovely thread you started!
I am really enjoying reading both this and the other thread that is running simultaneously.
Several years ago I wrote my own version of the Stations of the Cross and if you agree I would like to post two Stations a day - starting with tonight - which would bring us nicely to Easter.
At the time I wrote these I was feeling very low and although I have a very strong commitment to my faith, nothing that was preached every Sunday seemed relevant to my circumstances at the time.
Since then, I have used them each Lent and perhaps they may be of some help to the many Gransnetters who are suffering in so many different ways?
Please say though if I am encroaching on your thread - I will not be offended! I thought of starting another separate thread but felt mine tied in with yours, but please say if you feel mine would be better separately!

At the start of each station I tell the Lord how I am feeling and specify what is 'wrong' in my life in relation to that particular station (He must be bored of hearing it by now!) then add ....

1st Station: Jesus is condemned to death

Lord, you were an innocent man sentenced to death, yet you accepted everything that came to you.
At birth we are 'condemned' to the unknown challenges that will occur during our lives but we claim injustice and complain about our lot.
Help us Lord when we ask 'Why me?' to ask ourselves 'Why not me?' in the knowledge that we are not innocent but have sinned in thought, word and deed.

2nd Station: Jesus takes up his cross

You took up your cross with no complaint and walked the way of the cross.
Help us to accept the crosses that we are given to carry in life, trusting that you will be with us on our journey and will never place on our shoulders more than you know we can cope with.

Cabbie21 Sun 25-Mar-18 23:30:02

“Holy Week is a privileged time when we are called to draw near to Jesus”. ( Pope Francis”.)

May the “week that changed the world “ continue to change our lives.

Marydoll Sun 25-Mar-18 23:34:19

I am enjoying (probably not the right word) this thread. smile

BBbevan Mon 26-Mar-18 02:36:17

I am finding this thread peaceful and uplifting.

Anniebach Mon 26-Mar-18 03:48:27

fourormore, the thread is for sharing , ? x

Marydoll, why not enjoy, just as we can enjoy a sunrise or seeing a rainbow or a piece of music or a poem X

Cabbie21, Pope Francis was certaintly right wasn't he x

NanKate Mon 26-Mar-18 08:04:10

I would like to join the Easter group too Annie

Although I am not a regular churchgoer I ‘m definitely spiritual. I have found myself sitting in the local RC church a lot during this last difficult year for my family and I have found it very comforting.

Anniebach Mon 26-Mar-18 08:32:36

NanKate , both threads are for all , X

NanKate Mon 26-Mar-18 11:37:14

Thank you Annie

MiceElf Mon 26-Mar-18 15:59:41

The Eight days of Holy Week literally consecrates the year 2018 by taking us again into the heart of Christ’s Passion. The purpose of Christian liturgy is to bring the past to life and transport us into the living reality of these actual events. Thus, the old hymn will ask us one more time: “Were you there when they crucified the Lord?” The ceremonies in which we participate are very ancient and are no mere ritual. They were not contrived by some council of old clergy sitting round a table discussing doctrine but were born out of the actual events in Jerusalem. Jerusalem
was destroyed by the Romans, first in AD70 and th completely obliterated in AD132.
The ancient sites relating to the life of Our Lord were erased for nearly two hundred years; but people in the middle east have long memories... It was only after the Emperor Constantine became a Christian himself in 318AD that Jerusalem began to be restored both for Christians and Jews. From that time Christian sites throughout the Holy Land were re-established and began to recover their dignity as places of devotion. The great St Cyril of Jerusalem 313–386AD established the ceremonies at Golgotha and the Holy Sepulchre, Gethsemane and the Mount of Olives, just as we keep them today. An intrepid Christian Nun from Egypt travelled throughout Palestine and Syria in the early 4th century. Her name was Egeria. Her writings have only come to light fairly recently and you can read them easily on the internet. She describes being in Jerusalem and participating in the ceremonies just as we keep them today but with firelit processions and vigils and baptisms in the darkness taking all night! Very quickly the same ceremonies were seen not only in Jerusalem but in churches throughout the world, because as the opening prayer for Holy Saturday proclaims:
Christ is yesterday and today,
The Beginning and the End,
The Alpha and the Omega,
All time belongs to him and all the ages.
To him be glory
and power through every age and forever.

mimiro Mon 26-Mar-18 16:12:23

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

annie this is for your rainbow