Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 08:34:10

“We may not know , we cannot tell,
What pains he had to bear,
But we believe it was for us,
He hung and suffered there “

Auntieflo Fri 19-Apr-19 08:36:42

Amen

Eglantine21 Fri 19-Apr-19 08:42:00

No longer of your persuasion Anniebach, but this from my youth and a genuine response for you

“Bearing shame and suffering rude
In my place condemned he stood,
Sealed my pardon with his bloodl
Hallelujah! What a saviour.”

OmaforMaya Fri 19-Apr-19 08:42:27

Hallelujah .....the grave could not keep Him!!

1inamillion Fri 19-Apr-19 08:42:34

I have memories of singing that hymn ' There is a Green Hill Far Away' in School Assembly and in Sunday School Annie.

Cabbie21 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:07:23

I shall shortly be joining fellow Christians to sing that hymn in the market square.
We used to have two processions, one from each end of the town, merging in the market place for a short service, but most people are now too elderly to walk that far. So we meet in the market place for a hymn and a prayer, then walk to church for a service.
Meanwhile a nearby shopping centre has Easter activities laid on to attract customers. Why couldn’t they leave that till Saturday?

gillybob Fri 19-Apr-19 09:07:48

I am not religious but I too remember singing “There is a Green Hill Far Away” in juniors school . It used to bring tears to my eyes ( so does the one that starts Lord of all hopefulness - sorry can’t remember the correct name ) .

Susan56 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:20:32

My husband has just come downstairs singing that hymn at the top of his voice.

BradfordLass72 Fri 19-Apr-19 09:49:09

I often think how brutal it must have been for Mary his mother, to stand watching her beloved boy die in such an agonising way.

After all, what did he do other than to tell people to love one another?

The least we can do, religious or not, is try to do that.

Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 09:58:28

Simeon to Mary when they presented their child in the Temple

“And a sword will pierce you soul also”

crazyH Fri 19-Apr-19 10:04:58

Going to our local church for the 3 o clock Good Friday service

aggie Fri 19-Apr-19 12:48:22

This has reminded me to go to our Church at 3
we have been having a service every Wed Evening during lent where we follow the Stations of the Cross

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 19-Apr-19 12:52:26

The true meaning of Easter.

susanstroud Fri 19-Apr-19 12:55:10

I think too much emphasis is put on the crucifixion. We need to think more about the resurrection. Think how thrilled Mary was to know now with proof that Jesus was the Messiah.

Marilla Fri 19-Apr-19 13:01:10

I still remember the beautiful Catholic Lent hymns from school. We used to attend Mass on Holy Thursday and Stations of the Cross on Friday. The adults would go to Mass on Saturday for the vigil and then us children would go to Mass on Easter Sunday. I always enjoyed the routine and rituals of the church. I wish I could get back into my faith, but it’s difficult in today’s world.

Doodle Fri 19-Apr-19 13:06:09

I understand what you mean susan but I think we need to remember the anguish that Jesus had in the Garden of Gethsemane. He was made man and suffered for us. Even though Jesus knew the outcome he too suffered.
Lovely reminder again Annie

Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 13:08:50

I cannot accept there is too much emphasis on the death of Christ, he didn’t just keel over , he suffered betrayal, mockery, struggled physically to carry the cross, nails were hammered into his body, thorns crushed onto his head , he was abandoned as he hung dying, a spear thrust into his side, he took hours to die.

For us

I don’t think Mary needed proof, we who believe in him have no proof

aggie Fri 19-Apr-19 13:58:39

The Death and Resurrection of Jesus is the main belief of the Christian Faith

TwiceAsNice Fri 19-Apr-19 15:04:41

I went to a morning church service today where I was one of three readers to tell the story of Good Friday. We had a large wooden cross carried into church by the Vicar’s and we all stood around it in the middle of the service singing and praying and taking it in turns to touch the cross, the symbol of Christ’s death for us all. It is always a very moving service and I feel better for having been part of it. Christians do not need proof we have faith

Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 15:13:09

I missed the Good Friday walk following the Cross , and will miss the Virgil tomorrow night, the cathedral just lit by candles.

grannyactivist Fri 19-Apr-19 15:21:28

Today I have been a music stand, holding up the music for the musicians to read as we sang some wonderful Easter songs. Our town churches joined together for a Walk of Witness, stopping along the way to have a reading, prayer and song; we handed out simple explanatory leaflets and crosses made of twigs bound with twine and colourful buttons and a little label. (Mostly made by the craft group of the local Salvation Army -see photo.) The weather was glorious and people passing by were either interested and/or respectful.

I love it when local Christians come together and we celebrate as one church. smile

Cherrytree59 Fri 19-Apr-19 16:16:48

Amen.

DH and I have spent Good Friday in our garden.
This is where I am closest to God.
DH has carefully mowed around the forget-me -nots that came from his Mum and Dad's garden.

My mother in law passed away at the end of march her funeral is on Tuesday.

Gilly Lord of all hopefulness is the hymn we have chosen ?.

There was a bright Easter moon shining down as my father slipped away in 2015

Wishing Annie and all gransnetters a peacful Easter.

gillybob Fri 19-Apr-19 16:34:42

Oh Cherry My sincere condolences .

I have been singing it all morning in the garden . I find it beautiful but so very sad.

Anniebach Fri 19-Apr-19 16:40:15

My sympathy Cherry , a beautiful hymn x