Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

struggle with Catholic faith

(103 Posts)
Judy54 Sun 10-Nov-19 17:26:28

I have struggled for sometime with the teachings of the Catholic Church and stopped going to Mass on a regular basis. Recently I went to a Church of England service where the welcome was very warm not something I have ever experienced in the Catholic Church. My dilemma is a feeling of guilt having been born and brought up as Catholic to now consider moving to the C of E, it does seem to offer me what I am looking for. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you reconcile yourself to it.

Magrithea Wed 13-Nov-19 20:04:48

@Judy54 I too was brought up in the Catholic faith and long since stopped going to Mass unless I'm visiting my dear Mum. More because I found I couldn't believe in the way expected. It's all got much more ecumenical and Catholics are welcomed and allowed to take communion in the CofE (something I thing Anglicans aren't allowed to do in the Catholic church).

Go to your CofE church and rejoice in finding a welcome - it's the same God and He won't mind where you worship!

annep1 Wed 13-Nov-19 18:17:08

Yes I get what you mean, I didn't put that well. But if you want to belong to a church it doesn't have to be the RC church. That's all I meant. I hope that's clearer.

Kathy1959 Wed 13-Nov-19 18:04:34

As I said before, the ONLY way to God is through Jesus, annepl, you make it sound like belonging to the RC church is also a way to Jesus. Thank God literally....it isn’t

annep1 Wed 13-Nov-19 14:59:12

Judy54 If you have lost your faith in the Catholic Church please don't feel bad/guilty about it.
I have friends who lost their faith completely because of experiences in this church. I find that sad.
I also know people who chose to stay and serve God even though they disagree with a lot of the doctrines. If it works for you fine. If it doesn't go elsewhere.
Belonging to the RC church is not the only way to God
Being a Christian should make you feel happy and content.
Go where you feel at home.

Judy54 Wed 13-Nov-19 11:49:38

I don't feel that the views expressed here are negative or an attack on the Catholic Church. They are personal experiences that have affected some of us and caused us to question our Catholic faith. It is wonderful for those of you who find solace, love and joy in the Catholic Church, sadly I no longer do but appreciate for many it is as relevant for them today as it was yesterday. I wish it was the same for me because I would no longer need to struggle with my conscience.

GrauntyHelen Wed 13-Nov-19 00:15:35

Catholicism is merely a denomination of Christianity as is Anglicanism( Church of England) Worship in whichever tradition you feel most comfortable and do not feel guilty GOD BLESS

Eloethan Wed 13-Nov-19 00:10:43

My uncle moved from C of E to Catholic after The C of E agreed to the ordination of women. Other than his children and grandchildren, he cared for nobody - not even their spouses - and was a most disagreeable man.

Having said that, I know at least two people who are Catholic and are the kindest and most helpful people, so I don't think a religion is necessarily responsible for how people behave.

I'm not sure I'd want to be a part of a Church or other organisation that saw me as something unworthy and somehow tainted. As far as Christianity is concerned, I thought that was what set Jesus apart from most other people - his humility, kindness and generosity of spirit towards people who were shunned by those who thought themselves to be morally superior.

Kryptonite Tue 12-Nov-19 18:03:00

Catholics are supposed to believe that they receive the actual body and blood of Jesus at Holy Communion, and this is where the Catholic Mass differs from a CoE service. This 'food for the soul' is very important to Catholics, and Christ's sacrifice is central to every Mass. Many people don't know this or don't believe it. Of course, faith without good works is nothing, so the Bible says, and vice versa. Also, it is true that many Catholics attend out of duty without getting involved in parish activities, while parish priests do not always reach out to the people these days. It is little wonder therefore, that they feel the church does nothing for them.

It is not for anyone to judge, and I do know people who have changed churches for a whole variety of reasons, often for the 'welcome' aspect or because they don't like the priest. I'd say, at least they are continuing with their faith and have thought deeply about their decision. I can't see myself ever switching churches, despite disagreeing with the Catholic church's exclusion of women from the diaconate and priesthood, but I have seen a distinct change in attitude over the years. I think any institution will have its problems because it is made up of people with all their faults. I happily attend services of other denominations on occasion, and in our town there is a strong ecumenism amongst the many denominations, which I think is very healthy.

vena11 Tue 12-Nov-19 13:11:23

I was brought up C of Scotland many divides in religion in the area I used to live with catholic and protestants and there still is, many through ignorance and supporting football teams and half are not even religious, crazy I know, luckily I was brought up to believe that that was wrong and managed to keep my DS away from all that rubbish. There is one God and it does not matter which church

Amagran Tue 12-Nov-19 12:06:55

My lovely Catholic DiL wanted to marry in her local church in her predominantly Catholic country. DS, who was baptised into the CofE, was honest with the priests that he preferred not to follow any religion, but that he was happy for any children to be brought up in the Catholic faith. The first priest refused to marry them. The second one, a young man, got on really well with DS and not only agreed to marry them, but also to learn enough English to conduct the service in both languages. They have been married for 15 years now, there has been no conflict and DS helps DiL and GCs to follow their faith.

Marilla Tue 12-Nov-19 11:49:00

Thank you SparklyGrandma. It’s so kind of you to respond.
There are so many things I miss. The rosary, benediction and praying to Mary to intercede. If I do try to pray as I used to, I feel a fraud and the guilt of having made the choice of husband over the church. I moved house two years ago and the nearest RC church is ten miles either way. I will look at the churches and take it from there.

SparklyGrandma Tue 12-Nov-19 10:26:46

Marilla a ((hug)).

Some priests will allow a person to receive, a rarity, but known. Maybe talk to someone at a church near you.

Good luck.

Witzend Tue 12-Nov-19 08:58:18

@*BazingaGranny*, re the Old Testament, I used to teach English in a Muslim country - students were largely young adult males from the various ministries. And mostly very polite and charming they were, too.

When the subject of religion came up (not often) they were at pains to tell me that so much was 'same same' (e.g. Abraham and the sacrifice etc.). They would sometimes ask whether I went to church, and although I didn't I would pretend I did, otherwise they'd worry that I'd go to hell. There was no religious antipathy whatsoever that I ever saw - they only thing re religion that would upset them was anyone saying they were atheist.

Marilla Tue 12-Nov-19 08:41:54

I was brought up Catholic, but as I married a divorcee, I cannot receive communion. We got married in our local registry office. I was in my early twenties and was so in love with my husband it didn’t bother me what the church thought.
However as time has passed, I am sad that I can’t take full part in the mass. There are days, I think why should I bother about a church that doesn’t want me, but in my heart I miss it.

Marydoll Tue 12-Nov-19 08:07:59

Monica ?

ladymuck Tue 12-Nov-19 07:19:55

This shows the difference between Christianity and the Church as an institution. Your Christian beliefs are what matters, not which church you attend.
It's like belonging to a club whose rules you have to obey (this is what my Catholic husband said about the church).
Attend whichever church you feel most suits you. It's entirely up to you, and don't feel guilty!

M0nica Tue 12-Nov-19 07:05:14

But bad experiences within any religion are not unknown and I was told by a Cof E vicar that child abuse in the Cof E was far more extensive than it had been in the catholic church. Note I speak of the past not the present. Within all churches there have been cover-ups and denials - and I have had my own periods of alienation.

There is within Britain an latent anti-catholicism that goes back to the days of the Reformation, a nagging worry, no longer acknowledged, that we are some 5th column within the state, ready to drop all national allegiences should the pope command it. Similarly there are deep beliefs still that the catholic church and its clergy share deep mysteries that operate against ordinary people.

I am not sayimg that the catholic church is perfect. It is made up of ordinary people and none of us are perfect, but I think the constant attacks on it are a sign of an underlying fear that we are somehow 'other' and wish to undermine civil society is still present.

SparklyGrandma Tue 12-Nov-19 00:08:33

I was brought up C of E and grew up in a country where many religions thrived, Hindu, Islam, RC, Baptist, Sikh, C of E.

12 years ago I converted to Catholicism and it has been a wonderful journey. Sometimes I meet prejudice but I believe all avenues to God are as good as one another and I count friends of different religions as well as Humanists to be of value.

Kindness is very important, integrity and respect for others.

If I moved to a town with only one brand of Christian church, as long as they were kind, I would go there.

Go for it Judy54

Eloethan Mon 11-Nov-19 23:42:58

Both are Christian beliefs, with slightly different interpretations of the scriptures. It's not like you've abandoned your faith.

Do what you feel is right for you.

B9exchange Mon 11-Nov-19 23:39:40

What an amazing uplifting thread, thank you for starting it. So many lovely, caring GN'ters emerging. What a welcome contrast from some other threads! grin

annep1 Mon 11-Nov-19 23:27:49

You've obviously found a caring church that works for you Jan and that's good. And obviously some churches have changed. But what happened to some people is not a misconception.

Jangran99 Mon 11-Nov-19 23:15:46

I am sad that there are so many negative views of the faith I profess and love. I would really like to be able to discuss these misconceptions face to face but that is not possible. I can only say that the Church I belong to is caring and supportive.Only this evening we had a service of remembrance,not only for the fallen in conflict,but for those Parishioners who have died this year.Their families are assured of our on-going love and support in their bereavement.

annep1 Mon 11-Nov-19 21:59:34

My mum's best friend was a RC. She had a serious heart condition. She had five young children and decided to use contraceptives as having another child would put her life in danger. Her caring BiL reported her to the priest who came to the house next day to tell her this was morally wrong.
I think belonging to a church and being a believer should make you happier. If its "doom and gloom" and makes you live in fear rather than hope there's no point in going.

M0nica Mon 11-Nov-19 21:53:16

I am finding some of the things said about the catholic church puzzling. I have never experienced guilt or fear.

The two teachings that I remember most from my earliest childhood are the teaching, that we are all equal in the sight of God and that we are all sinful, in the sense of not behaving perfectly all the time.

This explained to me why adults did things that at times seemed to me wrong or unkind or not what they preached. I no longer thought that adults, not even my parents, were always right and incapable of wrong. It was a remarkably liberating knowledge and made me very tolerant of people in authority.

grabba Mon 11-Nov-19 20:38:58

The not entering each other church (Protestant & Catholic) is a long ago thing. I would hope that no one would believe any clergy who advised that a divorced person couldn't receive communion.
I was brought up as a Catholic but in the face of the despicable behaviours of clergy and the coverups that have tried to bury these acts or attempted to blame others, I had to walk away.

Believe me I have no guilt only sadness