Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

God help us! Still farming mink for fur.

(21 Posts)
Alexa Sun 11-Oct-20 17:55:46

These poor things in cages have been infected with covid by farm workers. Some people still buy fur.

rosecarmel Sun 11-Oct-20 18:18:16

I also read that story- Its sad- Some places are banning the production of fur garments, only allowing existing pieces to be sold- That way eventually the preference for fur will have all but diminished and any existing garments will have rotted-

Missingmoominmama Sun 11-Oct-20 18:29:10

The mink eyelash trade is huge. It’s combed out, but they’re in overcrowded cages and full of disease. It’s horrible.

Missingmoominmama Sun 11-Oct-20 18:30:30

I mean they aren’t slaughtered for the fur, but nor are they given veterinary treatment. They’re expendable.

Jane10 Sun 11-Oct-20 18:48:14

Horrified that there are such stupid selfish women in the world that actually want mink coats or eyelashes. angry
Such unnecessary cruelty.

NfkDumpling Sun 11-Oct-20 20:18:00

Mink eyelashes? Really? I hadn't heard of it. Eugh! I wouldn't want any other creatures eyelashes near my eyes. Let alone a mink. Their lashes aren't that special are they? What's wrong with dead sheep's eye lashes. Or bullocks. They have huge lashes.

It astounds me what some women will do to achieve what they believe to be a perfect look.

mokryna Sun 11-Oct-20 20:22:37

Surely this is fake news?

NfkDumpling Sun 11-Oct-20 20:22:40

Aha. I've looked it up now. They're not re-using the eye lashes of mink, it's mink fur! grin. Silly me!

They don't look like eye lashes - they look like fur.

Chardy Sun 11-Oct-20 22:18:47

It was Mahatma Ghandi who said “A nation's greatness is measured by how ittreats its weakest members.”(Animals included)

rosecarmel Mon 12-Oct-20 14:10:18

Jane10

Horrified that there are such stupid selfish women in the world that actually want mink coats or eyelashes. angry
Such unnecessary cruelty.

Not just women ..

rosecarmel Mon 12-Oct-20 14:13:11

?

Jane10 Mon 12-Oct-20 14:13:47

rosecarmel I knew someone would say that but hoped that it would be so blatantly obvious that it wouldn't be worth anyone's time to do so. Obviously I was wrong. Sigh.

rosecarmel Mon 12-Oct-20 15:37:15

I'd rather be straight than play games and then sigh and roll my eyes-

Greyduster Mon 12-Oct-20 15:59:39

I thought mink farming had been banned! Fur and eyelashes aside, if these dreadful creatures escape from mink farms or are deliberately released, they can wreak havoc on rivers and other waterways, predating on fish, water birds and small animals.

MerylStreep Mon 12-Oct-20 16:17:22

Mink farms were made illegal in the uk in 2003. Meanwhile there are 5,000 fur farms spread across 22 eu countries.
And we are supposed to be the country with poor/low standards in animal husbandry, mmmm?

NfkDumpling Mon 12-Oct-20 19:36:55

Missingmoominmama

The mink eyelash trade is huge. It’s combed out, but they’re in overcrowded cages and full of disease. It’s horrible.

How on earth do you comb a mink? They're fast, wriggly little things which don't stay still. With teeth.

Missingmoominmama Tue 13-Oct-20 10:30:13

I’ve just googled; apparently they’re brushed after slaughter sad.

Alexa Tue 13-Oct-20 11:23:49

They kill them by eletrocuting them up their bottoms. God what a world!

MayBee70 Tue 13-Oct-20 11:36:47

Bit worried that if mink can catch the virus other mustelids can as well. Although I assume that they only catch it when in close proximity with humans and can’t pass it back to them?

Oldwoman70 Tue 13-Oct-20 11:44:20

I recall many years ago being in a pub when a woman we knew walked in wearing a mink coat - she was preening and everyone was admiring it, someone said the she looked good in it. I couldn't help myself and said that it probably looked better on the animal.

Why do people think wearing the skin of a dead animal is a good look!

Daisymae Tue 13-Oct-20 14:22:54

It's often the trim around hoods etc, I don't buy anything with even fake fur now as some is mislabeled