Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Jehovah Witness

(144 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 25-Oct-20 20:48:38

A long term friend has joined the JW and now wants to enter into long discussions with me, even though I am happy with my C of E church. It’s beginning to spoil our friendship.
I’m trying to be diplomatic in refusing but this friend insists on trying to convert me. Advice please!

Caleo Wed 25-Jan-23 12:19:23

Fish and Chips, you have a moral right to pretend to agree with the JW family , even if you have to tell lies to do so.

The poor children! Maybe your kindly presence in their lives would help them.

FishandChips15 Mon 23-Jan-23 19:14:04

Our DD married a JW and through his mother and family taking over we have now been estranged from her for over three years.

If his mother said jump her three sons and two other DILs said how high? She is very manipulative and they all seem to go along with it.

In a way we have unknowingly played into our SILs family's hands and although I do not think our DD has been converted it is so sad that we do not see our three GC.

Yammy Mon 23-Jan-23 18:18:16

Tell her you have had a blood transfusion she will be off like a shot. It's actually true in my case but when I say it they are not bothered anymore. My mother many years ago told me she had a friend who was converted and when she found out that mum had had one she broke the friendship off. Medics have trouble with Jw patients and often have to make young ones wards of court to implement the treatment they need.

Shinamae Mon 23-Jan-23 18:12:19

Shinamae

Whoops it hasn’t loaded! 🤨

Oh yes, it has…😂

Shinamae Mon 23-Jan-23 18:11:58

Whoops it hasn’t loaded! 🤨

Shinamae Mon 23-Jan-23 18:10:58

This…

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-Jan-23 18:09:44

Well, it seems the JWs that used to call on me don’t like dogs. If the word has spread, that’s fine by me!

Shinamae Mon 23-Jan-23 18:05:13

There is a good film I think it’s called “Left behind” and stars Nicolas Cage and it turns out that there are some Jehovah’s Witnesses on the plane. (He is a pilot)anyway one by one people start disappearing off the plane just vanishing and apparently that’s “The rapture” where the chosen few (all over the world)are lifted into heaven and at the end of the film, the ones that are not Jehovah’s Witnesses are in New York (I think!) amongst burning buildings… and the Earth is apparently going to be like that for seven years..(if I remember, rightly, cheery little film 🤗 ) if you’re a Jehovah’s Witness, not so good for the rest of us…🥹

Caleo Mon 23-Jan-23 17:53:20

Do JWs not like dogs?

I agree GSM, it is just too bad that parents indoctrinate their children.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-Jan-23 17:50:46

Back in the 70s a friend was almost persuaded to become a JW. I’m so glad she didn’t. I have found that since I have owned German shepherds they don’t visit. Coincidence? Telling them politely that I had been baptised and confirmed into the CofE didn’t cut it before. I felt that they considered me a heathen in need of conversion. Sometimes they brought a child with them, for whom I was very sorry.

Urmstongran Mon 23-Jan-23 17:45:09

A resurrected thread - but it was nice to see EllanVannin’s name at the beginning.
😊

Caleo Mon 23-Jan-23 17:42:28

Henetha, you must have sort of believed what the JWs preached if you found their beliefs scary.

It's unfortunate the JWs do preach so are not able to sceptically discuss ideas .

henetha Mon 23-Jan-23 15:09:26

I had some JW friends years ago but they upset me when they insisted that the world would end in 1964. My children were small at the time.
And apparently only 144,000 people would be allowed in heaven, - which was to be right here on planet Earth they said. The friendship cooled as I found their beliefs quite scary.

Caleo Mon 23-Jan-23 13:45:59

Some JWs are interesting on some of their points of view. Their view of life after death is interesting as it was explained to me by an elderly Scottish JW from a rural NE Scotland background.

Esmay Sun 22-Jan-23 18:06:24

I once foolishly got into a discussion with a couple of Jehovah Witnesses at the door .

How I regretted it .

They started calling on me almost weekly and even have written letters to me .

Trying to explain that you are already a Christian doesn't sit well with them .

I have lots of Muslim friends and none of them have ever tried to convert me to their faith .

We talk about our faith quite freely .

Even yesterday ,
I was struck by their incredible kindness and generosity to me .

Wheniwasyourage Sun 22-Jan-23 17:45:33

Fortunately they don't visit now, presumably since lockdown, although we did get a letter last year. I would just tell any who did visit that I could have no interest in a religion that would not consider letting a woman preach.

JaneJudge Sun 22-Jan-23 15:24:33

sorry I hadn't realised this was such an old, long thread

JaneJudge Sun 22-Jan-23 15:23:19

sodapop

Urmstongran

Nothing more zealous than a new convert who has ‘seen the Light’ and wants to share it!
?

That is so true Urmstongran and can be very wearing. I had to work with a family who were Jehovah's Witnesses some years ago. Despite great difficulties with one of their children they would not adapt in any way to try and help him. It was frustrating to see someone with learning and behaviour problems being denied the help he needed.
We have a group of JW who call on us occasionally here in France.

I have experience of this too sad

wrt the OP just tell her you don't want to listen to it. We have some that call and they know we are not interested so they just chat to us and then go on their way.Neither of us believe in any God so it would be pointless anyone calling of any religion

Caleo Sun 22-Jan-23 15:22:46

Mrs Mopp, JWs are usually very good at knowledge of holy scripture. If this interests you too , then you would have a topic you enjoy together. There is no need for you to argue about doctrines.

Elegran Sun 22-Jan-23 15:18:32

Savvy

I'm not sure I would want anything to do with any religion that happily accepted Peter Sutcliffe as a member.

I don't suppose he told them when he joined that he was planning to be a serial killer.

Grantanow Sat 21-Jan-23 23:22:16

They are simply propagandists for a load of twaddle and should be shown the door.

nanna8 Mon 21-Nov-22 07:38:28

We lived next door to a JW family for 17 years. The man was a priest or elder or whatever. Have to say they were pleasant neighbours and never interfered with us. I don’t agree with what they believe and I think it is a worry that they shun ex members. I have direct experience of this through my daughter’s best friend who left the church when she was a teenager. Quite cruel.

SamsMom Mon 21-Nov-22 07:37:42

MOnica But that's not true at all, my husband is a JW and even when his parents "rejected" him for becoming one, he kept contact going and eventually they came round. We were both relieved to be able to help and support them until their passing. It seems often the case to me that it's their families that do the rejecting, not themselves!

SamsMom Mon 21-Nov-22 07:31:57

Wrong!
My DH a JW and so I know that in actual fact, they don't believe that they themselves are going to heaven but will live here (on a 'cleansed' earth). Such a shame people relate these inaccuracies which only serve to spread intolerence of other peoples faith. I always wonder if Muslims would be so berated?

SamsMom Mon 21-Nov-22 07:25:02

Lovely, balanced response thank you for being sensibly honest