Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Vincent Nicholls and church Child abuse

(7 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Tue 10-Nov-20 22:56:39

I can't believe the Pope said not to resign! Why?
I just don't get it. Even if the Pope thinks he has genuine regret, surely it makes the ordinary members of the church feel uncomfortable at the very least.
Such bad optics as well as not respecting the victims and survivors.

silverlining48 Tue 10-Nov-20 22:49:57

He was found to have shown no compassion so doubt that he and others have learned anything, or can change.
The church has always protected its own to the detriment of those who are often young and vulnerable.
I was looking to get opinions from catholics and other faiths, as well as none, and am surprised this important issue has brought so little comment.

Septimia Tue 10-Nov-20 18:38:34

One would hope that someone whose mistakes (and, in this case, worse) have been found out might learn a lesson and do better in future.

Someone new, who hasn't learnt, might not be any better and make the same 'mistakes'.

But it really depends on the person and how much they take the lesson to heart.

silverlining48 Tue 10-Nov-20 16:24:30

It was reported on r4 news just now. He said the pope wants him to continue.

Smileless2012 Tue 10-Nov-20 16:14:52

I saw the interview on the lunch time news and he didn't say he should resign, he said he was wrong and could understand people's anger but had a job to do and would continue doing it.

He never mentioned the Popeconfused.

Blinko Tue 10-Nov-20 16:14:23

Organized religion - what can you do?

silverlining48 Tue 10-Nov-20 16:09:24

I have just heard Vincent Nicholls say he knows he was wrong and he should resign, but apparently the Pope doesnt want him to, so he wont. What does that say about him, and what does it say about the Pope?