Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Catholic Church.

(106 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 13-Jan-21 12:59:09

With the release of papers relating to Irish mother and baby homes there are a lot of articles on the internet today about the Catholic church.
I've just spent the last hour reading about some of the things that went on and may still do today.
One was called 'churching' where a new mother was considered unclean and sinful, even though married, and had to go through a blessing called churching before she could resume social life.
She was not allowed into neighbours house in case of bad luck and could not attend her baby's christening or enter a graveyard until this blessing had been given.

Boz Fri 15-Jan-21 15:22:37

You get the whiff of whitewash in this business. The Irish Government are playing down the Church involvement so as to not alienate the catholic voter. The Catholic Church was the "fixer" of the problem and should take the lions share of the blame. They lifted the "shame" from these families whom lived in superstitious fear of their doctrines.
In the immortal words of Dave Allen, "Christ would throw up if he knew what was done in his name."

TerriBull Fri 15-Jan-21 16:00:09

I think some churches in Latin America, Brazil and Mexico for example, allow worshipers to incorporate elements of older rituals and beliefs passed down the generations, quite unconnected to Christianity. A way of keeping them on board I imagine. Maybe they copied the example of the Romans who amalgamated their Gods with those of the indigenous conquered nationals.

kircubbin2000 Fri 15-Jan-21 16:05:57

www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/the-ann-lovett-letters-sorrow-shame-anger-and-indignation-1.1673920&ved=2ahUKEwiGtcmqqJ7uAhWmTxUIHQadCnIQFjABegQICBAC&usg=AOvVaw3167nhr5Y2xLrslcEtbQK1

Alexa Fri 15-Jan-21 16:07:07

Terribul, yes, all these great empire builders adopted that strategy . British Empire too.

M0nica Fri 15-Jan-21 20:16:23

The Irish as a whole need to address these terrible events, not just play pass the parcel passing the blame from one to the other.