Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

American Evangelical Christians

(111 Posts)
varian Thu 21-Jan-21 10:40:04

Why are so many white American evangelical Christians so right wing? I have never understood their enthusiasm for God and Guns and their support for the thoroughly immoral Trump.

Galaxy Thu 21-Jan-21 13:38:58

I think lots of parents know about that now, it's a very common discussion on MN, the school I am involved with have changed to another charity that does a similar service without the problematic aspects.

MaizieD Thu 21-Jan-21 13:43:32

NannyC2

How do you know Trump is immoral varian? Can you please give me evidence?

'Thou shalt not commit adultery'

I thought that Christians, particularly Evangelicals, were quite keen on that one. hmm

Elegran Thu 21-Jan-21 13:46:11

The "God and guns" brigade believe the parts of the Bible that confirm their beliefs - most of them in the Old Testament where they are the history of a desert tribe struggling for survival amongst other tribes barely out of the stone age.

After learning how God was on the side of the people of Israel in their conflicts and wars, (substitute "white male people of the US" here) they turn to Revelations to read how God will deal with His enemies at the End Time. They are ready and willing to give God a helping hand with that, and to suggest people that God ought to add to the list of enemies.

Jane10 Thu 21-Jan-21 13:49:33

'False claims' = lies. Trump told lies. No need to use such polite words.

GillT57 Thu 21-Jan-21 13:52:22

I once expressed my discomfort about Samaritans Purse on GN and was shot down. I always filled two shoeboxes with my children when they were at primary school but was always uncomfortable about the fact they put Christian literature in the boxes which were very often being sent to non Christian countries.

Elegran Thu 21-Jan-21 13:54:29

More about Samaritan's Purse, and giving without adding specific religious strings..

humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/humanists-doing/good-causes-and-charities/samaritans-purse/

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/08/christmas-evangelical-christians-samaritans-purse-children-muslim-countries

PECS Thu 21-Jan-21 14:01:29

A lot of Evangelical groups, US or elsewhere, espouse quite traditional lifestyles: women in the kitchen with the kids, men as the hunter gatherer... and what they see as a ' natural order' i.e white supremacy
They are frequently supporters of Israel because its establishment fulfils some prophecy for the 2nd coming... or something... not because they like Jews..in fact there ' natural order' possibly makes them racist to all other ethnic groups...

PECS Thu 21-Jan-21 14:02:15

Their not there...

Elegran Thu 21-Jan-21 14:03:07

What many QAnon followers have realised, and is dawning on more of them daily, is that Trump is not interested in saving America from Muslims or paedophilia or draining any swamps. His aim is to show his late daddy that he is a big success, by making as much money as his father did, without being too finicky about the methods, and by having people acclaim him as the greatest. He is like those small children whose ambition is "to be famous" but have no idea at all of what they will have to actually learn, know, plan and do to be great - or the difference between fame and infamy.

Elegran Thu 21-Jan-21 14:06:41

The comma in the middle of my clause ^"by making as much money as his father did, without being too finicky about the methods^" is optional. The whole sentence has different meanings with or without that comma, but either applies.

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 14:07:42

I didn't know that.

I disagree about Christian literature being put into the shoe boxes, trying to brainwash young children by associating a gift from children in the UK with Evangelical Christianity.

The concept is good as it encourages children here to think of others and those in receipt of a box must be happy.
I'm sure many thought that the boxes are a gift sent with kindness and without ulterior motives. Many of the children filling and sending the boxes will be of different religions or none at all.

Curlywhirly Thu 21-Jan-21 14:07:48

Elegran

What many QAnon followers have realised, and is dawning on more of them daily, is that Trump is not interested in saving America from Muslims or paedophilia or draining any swamps. His aim is to show his late daddy that he is a big success, by making as much money as his father did, without being too finicky about the methods, and by having people acclaim him as the greatest. He is like those small children whose ambition is "to be famous" but have no idea at all of what they will have to actually learn, know, plan and do to be great - or the difference between fame and infamy.

Spot on Elgran.

CraftyGranny Thu 21-Jan-21 14:09:31

25Avalon here is the link you referred to

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55648011

GillT57 Thu 21-Jan-21 14:11:59

Elegran

Yes, I read that too. It seems that history may be repeating itself as his two sons look as if they are competing for favoured son status. Both of them, like Trump himself, work for the family business as they are presumably unemployable. I rarely wish people ill, but I wish this ghastly venal pack all the misfortune they deserve. I look forward to reading about all the law suits brought by the 'little people' that the Trump family despise and disregard.

Witzend Thu 21-Jan-21 14:25:10

We don’t have an equivalent of their Bible Belt - where a lot of people are descended from pioneers who had to start from scratch on virgin land, and so had to be very hardworking and self reliant or they wouldn’t survive.

I’m sure it must have something to do with that history, not to mention that a lot of those pioneers were probably very religious anyway. And maybe from sects that had suffered persecution or at least discrimination in their homelands.

So they see self-reliance almost as an eleventh commandment - Thou shalt labour to look after thyself and thy family and those who cannot or will not, shall be cast out and perish.’
(Or something like that.).

25Avalon Thu 21-Jan-21 15:00:26

CraftyGranny

25Avalon here is the link you referred to

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55648011

Thanks CraftyGranny. Maybe MaisieD would like to read how the Democrats in 1898 (35years after the Civil War) were the White Supremacy party. As I said it’s interesting or at least I found it so.

M0nica Thu 21-Jan-21 16:00:59

The core sentence in the article Varian posted a link to, and which narrowly answers the question in the OP is the following:

Many evangelicals have followed Trump: because he has implemented pro-life policies during his presidency. He also endorsed support for Israel, religious liberty and conservative judges.

The USA, from the start was a place of refuge for those whose religious beliefs were unacceptable in their home societies, whether you were a protestant radical or had an entirely new religion of their own devising (Christian Scientist, Church of the latterday Saints and some of the larger groups. Many cults that followed. Religon is part of the foundation of the country.

The USA is a large country with wildernesses and backwoods we cannot even imagine, so if people do not like what you believe or teach, there is also somewhere else to go. The less these conservative groups have to live close to non-members, societies, the more set in their ways they become.

Why do God and Guns go together because many of these groups live in these far west wildernesses and vast empty spaces, where, in the past guns were essential to eat and to stay alive when bad men arive, there are no police or the nearest policeman is 100 miles away.

Donald Trump is not immoral, he is amoral . He wouldn't recognise a moral if it picked up a stick and poked him in the eye.

biba70 Thu 21-Jan-21 16:07:36

NannyC2

We shall see........

we have seen, and the evidence is clear.

As for the future, as Elegran says- it is worrying that some people are predicting real trouble in the name of Trump. I truly feel it has no place on GN and should be deleted.

CraftyGranny Thu 21-Jan-21 17:58:20

25Avalon I agree, very interesting. It's amazing how the Dems refer to Reps as White Supremecists. Talk about kettle and pot. I was absolutely appauled by the article.

varian Thu 21-Jan-21 18:05:41

Obviously not all Republicans are white supremicists, but all. or nearly all of the white supremicists who voted would have voted Republican.

I don't believe that any, let alone all Democrats think that all Republicans are like the vile racists who also support the Republican party.

CraftyGranny Thu 21-Jan-21 18:25:17

varian

Obviously not all Republicans are white supremicists, but all. or nearly all of the white supremicists who voted would have voted Republican.

I don't believe that any, let alone all Democrats think that all Republicans are like the vile racists who also support the Republican party.

How would you know that Varian, Do you have access to the way anyone voted?

I have good friends that vote the opposite to me, I don't think any less of them. To each their own. But you are saying if you vote one way then you are all "This, that or the other"

How boring the world would be if we all thought the same, looked the same etc

CraftyGranny Thu 21-Jan-21 18:26:35

By the way Varian did you read the article?

MaizieD Thu 21-Jan-21 18:51:49

Thanks CraftyGranny. Maybe MaisieD would like to read how the Democrats in 1898 (35years after the Civil War) were the White Supremacy party. As I said it’s interesting or at least I found it so.

No thank you Avalon, I was already aware.

I'm sure you're very excited by your discovery of some of the USA's history, but it really isn't 'hidden'. It just doesn't normally interest people.

MaizieD Thu 21-Jan-21 18:53:57

But you are saying if you vote one way then you are all "This, that or the other"

No she isn't., CraftyGranny, try reading it again...

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 19:10:40

But you are saying if you vote one way then you are all "This, that or the other"

That's not what she said at all