Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

American Evangelical Christians

(110 Posts)
varian Thu 21-Jan-21 10:40:04

Why are so many white American evangelical Christians so right wing? I have never understood their enthusiasm for God and Guns and their support for the thoroughly immoral Trump.

varian Thu 21-Jan-21 11:45:45

Here is the view of a member of that community who, in spite of being a lifelong Republican, could not bring himself to vote for Trump, but knows many still follow him blindly.

www.kansascity.com/news/local/community/joco-913/joco-opinion/article248426325.html

NannyC2 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:05:59

How do you know Trump is immoral varian? Can you please give me evidence?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:07:31

NannyC2

One word - Epstein and I can give you plenty more.

How about Pussy?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:08:25

varian

Why are so many white American evangelical Christians so right wing? I have never understood their enthusiasm for God and Guns and their support for the thoroughly immoral Trump.

Cognitive dissonance

25Avalon Thu 21-Jan-21 12:18:11

Interestingly enough it was the Republicans who upheld the rights of African Americans after the Civil War and the Democrats who denied them rights. I am thinking of Wilmington where the Democrats violently threw out the elected governor of the Fusion party which combined the interests of blacks and whites and installed their own governor, denying many black people the right to vote and segregating black and white people.

I don’t have the link but I think it was a BBC article. If you google it then it is interesting reading. It is history that was hidden but now being revealed. No one is as pure as we might be lead to think.

Granarchist Thu 21-Jan-21 12:18:42

I think NannyC2 that boasting about grabbing women by the pussy and making fun of a disabled man in the Oval Office is proof enough for me of his immorality - add to that dreadful remarks about decorated Vietnam veterans (when he avoided the draft by complaining of bone spurs) etc etc.

BigBertha1 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:19:37

Plenty of wars fought in the name of religion of all persuasions.

nanna8 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:21:45

I don’t think any variety of Christianity should be judged by Trump though. He claimed Christian beliefs because he wanted their vote. Very cynical. Very nasty.

biba70 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:24:18

Sorry, but there is something truly disturbing about so many of those alt right wing American Evangelical Christians. And yes, a question I often ask myself varian.

NannyC2- I won't even begin to reply to your question. The evidence is so abundant it would take pages and pages.

NannyC2 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:27:37

We shall see........

Alegrias1 Thu 21-Jan-21 12:43:08

NannyC2 are you pretending to be some kind of soothsayer with prior knowledge of insurrections to come? Because if you are, I might have to report you to MI6 so that they can let the FBI know about you.

Or are you just like my friend in the USA, who has been brainwashed by the Trump project and thinks Trump is saving us from the lizard people who are part of a paedophile cult based in a pizzeria?

varian Thu 21-Jan-21 12:46:02

‘We All Got Played’: QAnon Followers Implode After Big Moment Never Comes

www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2021/01/20/we-all-got-played-qanon-followers-implode-after-big-moment-never-comes/?sh=689e14b3a06b

Did you not know it was a scam NannyC2?

MaizieD Thu 21-Jan-21 12:50:44

Interestingly enough it was the Republicans who upheld the rights of African Americans after the Civil War and the Democrats who denied them rights.

^ It is history that was hidden but now being revealed.^

That's because of the American Civil War. Democrats were Southerners, Republicans were Northerners. It's not 'hidden history' at all. It's just history that no-one is particularly interested in most of the time.

But, attitudes and principles change. 150 years later they are completely different parties.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 21-Jan-21 12:53:31

I have read that Evangelical Christians are losing support in the US particularly among younger people.

Has anyone heard of a group called Faithful America? They are reported as having a petition to remove Franklin Graham Billy’s son, as CEO of Samaritan’s Purse Charity (Christmas shoe boxes) because of his support for Trump.

Elegran Thu 21-Jan-21 12:54:06

NannyC Just what are we going to see? All these musterious hints (you have done it before) mean that you either -

1) - know what he is planning - so you must have known about the plans for the armed insurrection and the attack on the Capitol and you should be under investigation for conspiracy, collusion, inciting to kill, or even treason or you should be at least "helping the police with their enquiries"

or 2) you know damn -all about anything but want to boast that you are in cahoots with the man.

Either put up or shut up.

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 12:56:53

NannyC2

I suppose that depends on your own benchmark for moral standards.

Elegran Thu 21-Jan-21 12:57:10

Or 3) You are one of the QAnon followers who haven't yet realised that they have been scammed. That you Varian for that link.

Toadinthehole Thu 21-Jan-21 12:59:20

They don't represent Christians at all Varian. They are the American equivalent of our ' Churchians' They follow laws of men, not Jesus at all.

Callistemon Thu 21-Jan-21 12:59:22

Elegran ?

GillT57 Thu 21-Jan-21 13:06:48

I once signed on to a QAnon page on FB, surprisingly easy if you are willing to lie about your motives for doing so. By golly, that really was lifting the stone. JFK Junior wasn't really dead and was going to re-appear at Trump's side as the co-saviour of the world, Pence was a clone, the original having been executed for treason against Trump, all these ghastly 'paintings' of Trump with Jesus' hand on his shoulder. Truly weird. I too wonder where the disgusting behaviour of Trump fits in with Christian beliefs. I did read somewhere that the extreme Evangelical Christians who believe in the Rapture are a group who need to be kept on side by Republicans. My cousin who lives in USA, an intelligent, educated person who is proudly Christian and is taking the time to read a piece of the Bible every day in order to study and understand it better, is also a supporter of Trump, such a contradiction and baffling

EllanVannin Thu 21-Jan-21 13:08:02

My mum was an ardent fan of Billy Graham----and it used to drive me crackers listening to him years ago. Which is why I turned against religion.
Dad used to take me to the Synagogue in Liverpool which spooked me as a child.
I suppose it was all done so that I'd show an interest in either. I didn't !

GagaJo Thu 21-Jan-21 13:14:08

Me too. Go Elegran ?‍♀️

varian Thu 21-Jan-21 13:32:21

NannyC2

Over 30,000 false or misleading claims were made by former US President Donald Trump during his four year in power as the President of America. As his term ended on a sour note because he became the first US President to be impeached twice, his lies or misleading assertions were covered by the media.

According to a report published in The Independent, it equates to 21 false claims every day. His latest misleading and false claims that shook the entire nation on January 6 was on so called 'stolen elections.'

From his first day in office, January 20, 2017 to last day on Wednesday, January 20, 2021, Donald Trump made 30,573 false and misleading claims as per the analysis by The Washington Post.

The most prominent misleading or false statement was that his administration, "“built the greatest economy in the history of the world”. According to The Washington Post's analysis this claim was used at least 493 times.

Second most popular misleading claim was related to tax cuts that the Trump administration touted as the biggest on record. It was repeated 296 times. Trump made similar claims in his farewell address.

His other false claims were related to job opportunities while the job creation or employment opportunities dwindled since the Great depression in US with 6.7% Americans without work.

Other false claims that he made was on his final day farewell address when he said, his administration "rebuilt the United States military." Although, the biggest annual budget was during Obama's administration in 2010.

The worst month for misleading claims, according to The Washington Post was October 2020 in which the tally of lies went up to 3,917. With 2,239 untruths, the second worst month was September 2020.

The worst day with 503 misleading claims was November 2, 2020.

www.truescoopnews.com/newsdetail/totaling-lies-of-former-us-president-over-30000-trumps-a-habitual-liar

Perhaps we can all forgive the odd little white lie, but 30,000 lies in four years??? Trump is a habitual liar and that alone proves that he is immoral NannyC2

Greeneyedgirl Thu 21-Jan-21 13:36:28

I went to a Billy Graham rally in the 60s and thought he was “the real deal”. I have since become more enlightened and am now a humanist.

I wonder how many parents who gift charity shoe box gifts at Christmas, know anything about an organisation “Samaritan’s Purse” which sponsors this?