Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Is this God's plan

(113 Posts)
polomint Thu 11-Feb-21 11:45:15

I dont mean to offend anyone, but do you think this coronavirus is part of God's plan to change our lives? There is so much violence , greed, drugs, immorality etc that I've thought of the cities of sodom and gomorrah that God destroyed due to them being so corrupt

maddyone Sat 12-Jun-21 23:21:00

I don’t believe in Satan. I do believe in man’s inhumanity to man, sadly. I wish it were not so.

Bridgeit Sat 12-Jun-21 22:11:33

I think God was rather hoping humans would behave a lot better than they do .

Luckygirl Sat 12-Jun-21 20:08:21

Gosh!

Lucca Sat 12-Jun-21 19:48:48

Cant believe I’m reading this ! Satan ??

NannyC2 Sat 12-Jun-21 19:43:01

Ever heard of Wuhan, Luckygirl?
Satan creates evil and works through people.
The tendency of Satan is to position himself behind or through someone else and is consistent. For example, in the Genesis fall he speaks through the serpent. In Isaiah he rules through the King of Babylon, and in Ezekiel he possesses the King of Tyre.

Luckygirl Sat 12-Jun-21 18:49:08

God is creator, so created viruses. Either that or he/she is not creator. Can't have both.

Toadinthehole Sat 12-Jun-21 16:48:57

NannyC2

God's plan is Salvation.
Coronavirus is Satan's plan.

?

NannyC2 Sat 12-Jun-21 16:44:42

God's plan is Salvation.
Coronavirus is Satan's plan.

ginny Fri 11-Jun-21 21:26:17

This is part of why I am not a believer.. Praise God the all powerful , for all the good things but of course none of the bad things have anything to do with the same God.

rosie1959 Fri 11-Jun-21 19:23:17

Luckygirl

The virus is not inspired by God????? - why would you think that if God is the creator and all-powerful?

You would have to believe without exception in God. Me I am agnostic haven’t got a clue if there is a God

Luckygirl Fri 11-Jun-21 17:15:14

The virus is not inspired by God????? - why would you think that if God is the creator and all-powerful?

rosie1959 Fri 11-Jun-21 16:18:21

Now if I truly believed in God then it would make more sense that this virus was man made I cannot imagine any loving God rubbing his hands together and thinking What shall I do today, I know I will wipe out loads of people especially them OAPs
The vaccine may have been inspired by God but not the virus

Luckygirl Fri 11-Jun-21 15:26:55

It is intriguing to me how, whatever happens, believers interpret their scriptures or philosophies to fit the concept of god being good.

Either he/she is all-powerful or not; if all-powerful, then the evidence of human lives means he/she cannot be good.

I respect religions (well most!) and what they have meant to people over thousands of years, but I reject all doctrine and believe that living by the rule of kindness is all we can do.

We are in a sense all agnostics in that we just do not know about the existence of a god, or the purpose of our lives. Some believe but they too do not know.

maddyone Fri 11-Jun-21 13:19:00

In terms of faith I would prefer to think that the brilliance of the scientists who developed the various vaccines was given by God, than the virus is God’s wrath. The Bible makes it clear that however a person acts, it is up to his/her own conscience. The failure to contain the virus was man made, the virus is now increasingly thought to be man made although the jury is out on that one, certainly the leak was man made. Poor decisions are balanced by good decisions. Man’s goodness or not is shown in small ways. Some people choose to wear a mask, get vaccinated, socially distance, quarantine when necessary etc. Others selfishly refuse to comply with these simple requirements, not caring how their behaviour may affect others. Goodness or badness is within ourselves. It’s called God given conscience. Or human given, depending on your view.

Luckygirl Fri 11-Jun-21 12:21:02

The world is as the world is. Survival of the fittest.

Smileless2012 Fri 11-Jun-21 12:19:08

When you have faith Franbern you don't expect preferential treatment. You use that faith and the strength that God gives you to get through whatever life may throw at you.

greenlady102 Fri 11-Jun-21 12:12:05

Peasblossom

He’s going to be very cross about the vaccine then.

smile rofl

Elegran Fri 11-Jun-21 12:10:29

Gwenisgreat1

My own thoughts - periodically we have a method of thinning the population, be it wars, or illness or disaster. These also send us challenges to make us improve things? I do thinks it's God's way of improving our way of living.

I don't think that God ^ends these things to thin out the population.

I believe that it is rather that wars are more likely when there are so many people that there is conflict over resources - food, water, territory, power etc.

When there are many individuals they live closer together, so illnesses spread around faster. In a technological era, people travel from one place to another, taking their diseases with them.

Natural disasters like earthquakes, volcanoes, meteor strikes and so on have happened to the earth long before there were any people (or even animals) to over-populate it.

Man-made disasters are just that - made by people - so they can't be blamed on God, neither can the natural disasters which are caused by what humans have done - the landslides caused by erosion after wholesale tree clearances, for instance.

It is too easy to assume that if something happens - good or bad - it is because someone, (or some God or Devil) has decreed that it must, instead of looking for evidence of what is the actual cause.

maddyone Fri 11-Jun-21 11:36:16

polomint

I dont mean to offend anyone, but do you think this coronavirus is part of God's plan to change our lives? There is so much violence , greed, drugs, immorality etc that I've thought of the cities of sodom and gomorrah that God destroyed due to them being so corrupt

No!

Franbern Fri 11-Jun-21 11:15:13

I have always wondered why this wonderful god did not protect his followers better during this Pandemic. Never understood thme reason to stop church, synagogue and mosque services. Surely, those places would be quite safe!!!

Shinamae Tue 13-Apr-21 12:38:52

You too..?

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 13-Apr-21 12:05:50

Me too Shinamae. Since menopause, much prefer the cold weather! Take care.

Shinamae Tue 13-Apr-21 11:59:29

And I respect yours disco dancer although can’t say I understand it. I have a great belief in mother nature and a huge thunderstorm is very powerful to me and I find it very spiritual And I do much prefer winter weather to summer weather I love the rain the wind and even the cold.Sunny day....not so much...?‍♀️

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:01:35

I understand and respect your opinion Shinamae, but it is so often the people who suffer the most, who have the strongest faith. The people who are ‘ doing alright’, in their eyes, have no need for God, they’re fine without Him.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 13-Apr-21 10:50:18

My own thoughts - periodically we have a method of thinning the population, be it wars, or illness or disaster. These also send us challenges to make us improve things? I do thinks it's God's way of improving our way of living.