Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Does anyone remember...........?

(37 Posts)
Lexisgranny Wed 31-Mar-21 23:52:42

When I was in school we used a hymn book with a hard blue cover. I was reminded if it the other day, and thought of the hymns that were on the first page, I think there were three: When a Knight Won His Spurs (in the stories of old); Daisies are our silver, buttercups our gold; and possibly Morning has broken. Can Anyone confirm this, or tell me if I am misremembering? It keeps popping into my mind, I would really appreciate it.

Welshwife Thu 01-Apr-21 22:30:11

At infants school we used to sing :-
Hands together softly so, little eyes shut tight
Father just before we go, hear our prayer tonight.

Blossoming Thu 01-Apr-21 22:32:52

Lexisgranny

I would have been using it through the 50s and up to 1961. I do so hope that WAKWHS and DAOS were not relegated from the first page, such treachery! We all learned to read at a very early age, but I don’t think hymn books were involved until about 7yoa.

Songs of Praise Enlarged Edition.

Blossoming Thu 01-Apr-21 22:34:07

Ooh, I don’t know how I managed to do a quote and a photo!

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Apr-21 22:58:06

Ashcombe. Judging by the replies my memory is proving a bit defective, but I seem to remember that The end of the Day was originally a song sung in the 50s by Gracie Fields and later by Harry Secombe, though it looks quite appropriate for young children.

Blossoming That is the one! I had two of them, one from each school, though I think they were more Royal Blue in colour. I have no idea what happened to them unfortunately. I could well believe that they were both the original 1929 edition, as everyone was so thrifty during my school days, I could imagine them being used until the cover dropped off, so maybe they were handed in.

Blossoming Thu 01-Apr-21 23:40:53

I had two, one with the music which my sister now has. That one has a nicer cover as it was quite new when I received it. The smaller one had gone through many children’s hands and was quite battered!

Aldom Fri 02-Apr-21 07:47:00

Welshwife Thank you for reminding me. I too remember singing 'Hands together softly so... I can hear the tune in my head now. A warm, comforting memory.

Calendargirl Fri 02-Apr-21 07:47:30

Cherrytree59

Lexigranny still got mine in the loft.
Also had thin covered pale blue hymn book to go with it, but can't remember why.
Any other GNer have one?

Can ask another question?
In the morning if we were not in assembly, we would sing Morning has broken in our classroom.
After putting the chairs on the desk at the end of day, we would sing an evening hymn.
Can anyone help with what it could have been?
As I typed 'at the end of the day's something stirred in my mind?

Could it have been ‘Lord Of All Hopefulness’?

Final line of fourth verse-

‘Your peace in our hearts, Lord, at the end of the day’.

#Number 565.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 08-May-21 12:41:07

There was a Sunday television programme called Songs of Praise. I cannot remember whether it was on ITV or BBC, but I think this is the hymn book that was used on it.

Either the Scottish National Library or the Library at the British Museum in London should have a copy or at least be able to supply a photocopy of the index.

DanniRae Sat 08-May-21 13:11:35

I now have "Lord of all Hopefulness" running through my mind. Such a lovely hymn. I have a double cd of hymns I will have to see if it is on it.
Thank you for reminding me smile

Luckygirl Sat 08-May-21 13:38:12

I am totally not religious but I remember this book - and its sequel - so well. I know the arranger.

I used to play these on the piano with my DDs and also they would join in on recorders and other instruments. They gave us lots of pleasure.

Cherrytree59 Sat 08-May-21 14:38:49

Yes calandergirl I think you a right thank yousmile.
The tune sounds right .
Lord of all hopefullnes is indeed a lovely hymn .