Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Does anyone remember...........?

(36 Posts)
Ashcombe Thu 01-Apr-21 11:35:34

I have a music edition, needed occasionally for hymns that I play in church, if Mission Praise doesn’t have the tune we want. Is there any information from it that I can help you with?

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Apr-21 11:29:01

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

Sara1954 Thu 01-Apr-21 09:16:16

I can’t remember the hymn book, but ‘When a Knight won his Spurs’ was always my favourite hymn at Sunday School.
I’d forgotten the ‘Daisies are our Silver’ hymn, it’s nice to be reminded.

Septimia Thu 01-Apr-21 09:15:37

I remember it and have a very tatty full music edition. It has an embossed picture on the front of 2 deer drinking.

Grannynannywanny Thu 01-Apr-21 09:06:23

I can see it holds fond memories for you Lexisgranny and I wish you luck in finding it.

I noticed on Amazon when you click on “other sellers” there are several other sources who have a copy for sale. One of them is St Elizabeth’s hospice shop in Suffolk. Maybe it would be possible to phone them and ask them to check the index to confirm it’s the copy you want?

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Apr-21 08:44:38

Yes, Grannynannywanny, I have seen that, and I am pretty certain that that is the one. I tried to find an index for it, but had no luck. I know it sounds a bit odd, but I remember the really happy feeling I used to get when very young, opening the hymn book and seeing that first page. TBH I am afraid that if I buy it from Amazon, it might have changed that page over the years, and that happy memory will be lost. It was first printed nearly a hundred years ago, but I certainly used it through the 50s and into the 60s. Thanks for taking the time to research it.

Grannynannywanny Thu 01-Apr-21 00:20:13

Is this it Lexisgranny?
It has the cover you describe.

www.amazon.co.uk/Songs-Praise-Nonpareil-Style-3180X/dp/0192312014/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=songs+of+praise+hymnal&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1617232549&sr=8-7

Lexisgranny Thu 01-Apr-21 00:10:10

No B9exchange, it was a hymn book used at both schools I attended. It was quite slim and the cover had an embossed circle in the middle, which I think depicted two young deer and trees, and it also had Songs of Praise on the front.

B9exchange Thu 01-Apr-21 00:00:58

Would that be Hyms Ancient and Modern? I think that one was blue. I think the English Hymnary was green?

Lexisgranny Wed 31-Mar-21 23:54:59

Sorry the hymnal was called Songs of Praise.

Lexisgranny Wed 31-Mar-21 23:52:42

When I was in school we used a hymn book with a hard blue cover. I was reminded if it the other day, and thought of the hymns that were on the first page, I think there were three: When a Knight Won His Spurs (in the stories of old); Daisies are our silver, buttercups our gold; and possibly Morning has broken. Can Anyone confirm this, or tell me if I am misremembering? It keeps popping into my mind, I would really appreciate it.