Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

I wish that I had a Faith

(498 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 04-Apr-21 13:23:01

Hello Everyone
Yes, I do wish that I had a faith.

My family on my mom's side are church goers and I went to a Methodist chapel and Sunday school as a child.

But I just don't seem to have the gene, for wont of a better expression.
I'm very 'envious' of those who have a strong belief.
I work in a Catholic school and I often really wish that I shared what many of my friends and colleagues have.

It's the sense of community, and continuity too. Not just the 'going to church' thing, (I don't think that I could ever get into going to church) but more of a deep bond and understanding.

Lots and lots of things. It seems like a human need. I definitely feel like I'm missing something.

I have been reading Annie's Good Friday thread and the other Easter threads, and I thought that I would post this and see what others think

Thank you ?️

Serendipity22 Thu 30-Mar-23 17:17:50

Hello everyone x

I have a lovely faith. I was brought up in a Christian home, teenage years arrived and I didn't turn away from my faith but let's say i didnt attend church with my mum and dad. All my life i have known that God is walking besides me, through the good and guides me through the bad. I dont expect ' magician tricks ' . I accept what happens in life because I know God is walking besides me.

X

Smileless2012 Thu 30-Mar-23 19:15:43

Serendipitysmile

nanna8 Thu 30-Mar-23 23:52:00

Yes Anniebach you are so right. Religion isn’t faith. I have also been involved with many different denominations. Brought up Methodist, left for years, went to a Uniting Church, taught at a Catholic school, went to a Fundamental Baptist church for years and currently a Presbyterian church full of loving and caring people of the faith. People on church congregations are mixed ,just like anywhere else and we are all imperfect human beings.

FannyCornforth Fri 31-Mar-23 06:09:25

Oh Serendipity that’s exactly what I’d like. It sounds wonderful thanks

Wyllow3 Fri 31-Mar-23 07:48:01

I'm just so grateful for what I got in secondary school: the very gentlest introduction in our school assemblies, for home was determinedly atheist. Fortunate that to was a gospel of love one another not judgement. Lots of psalm 23.

So much later when I begun to have spiritual feelings it was there in the background.

I wanted to mention music, btw, it has always been a way into the soul (whether religious or otherwise).

Serendipity22 Fri 31-Mar-23 08:37:08

In my view its man who has slotted religion in all the different denominations..... Baptist.... Methodist.... Anglican .. etc, etc. I have never understood why nor want to because at the end of the very day there is only 1 God, and that is so very important to me, not which church I attend. We all face bad times in our lives and some point their fingers to God and blame him, but a LOT of our downfalls are our own doing ( man-made)

I don't preach to people, i don't stand in town shouting out for all to hear, nor do I frown upon another religion, each to their own, all i know is God has surrounded me with loving arms and is right there to steady me when i 'fall'.

There lays the end of the sermon haaaaa....

Have a good day everyone ... x

Caleo Fri 31-Mar-23 11:01:08

Man is the maker of religion, religions, and God. This is not a claim that religion, religions, and God are bad ideas.

God is a good idea depending on how bossy and whimsical he is, or alternatively how much He accords with goodness, truth, and beauty.

Wyllow3 Sun 02-Apr-23 23:07:32

I mentioned music upthread, and this rarely fails to lift me
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXcttZVhf0s

Jane71 Mon 03-Apr-23 10:18:43

I have never understood why nor want to because at the end of the very day there is only 1 God,

Is that what Hindu's believe too?

Caleo Mon 03-Apr-23 12:07:49

We are all casting our bread on the waters which in the case of Gransnet is cyberspace.

Kate1949 Mon 03-Apr-23 12:15:34

I admire people who still have a faith despite having terrible things happen to them. I don't understand it but I admire it.
When my nephew died of cancer as a teenager, someone told me brother (his dad) that they would have a mass said for him. My brother said 'Please don't bother. If there was anyone there he wouldn't have put us through this hell'. I totally agree with him.

Kate1949 Mon 03-Apr-23 12:16:09

my brother not me brother.

Caleo Mon 03-Apr-23 12:20:28

Kate1949, would you not also admire people who are good and kind to the bitter end despite not holding to any faith?

Kate1949 Mon 03-Apr-23 13:55:45

Yes I would Caleo. My nephew was good and kind to the bitter end.

Caleo Mon 03-Apr-23 14:17:28

I understsd that Kate1949. So what if anything does religion add to cause a person to be a good person?

Anniebach Mon 03-Apr-23 14:21:00

Kate1949 having faith doesn’t protect one from grief, pain, sorrow.

I lost my third baby, year later my husband died only 8 years of
marriage, 5 years ago my adored elder daughter took her life.

I was at the Aberfan disaster and saw mothers, fathers, grandparents digging for childrens bodies, a very well known
BBC news reporter told me his faith died the day those children died. In Each of these happenings there was human
failure but easier to blame God.

Caleo Mon 03-Apr-23 14:25:54

Anniebach, you are a fighter and survivor. Some people would not have survived these experiences.

Kate1949 Mon 03-Apr-23 14:30:18

Annie I have followed your story on here over the years. What you have suffered is truly horrendous. I am glad you have your faith if it helps you. I don't blame God because I don't believe he exists.

Wyllow3 Mon 03-Apr-23 21:13:04

Caleo

I understsd that Kate1949. So what if anything does religion add to cause a person to be a good person?

I don't think ever that being told or advised to be a better person in the name of a god would work for me, but maybe it does help some.

Its something. that can enter the heart at times of despair, joy, and conflict, or a quiet "knowing" that to feel love not hate, forgiveness not blame...

is the only path to try and follow, (for trying is mostly all I can manage) but it's beyond words really, those are just the closest I can get. And its in the fellowship of others it becomes at its most possible, or the reading of the right text at the right time, or the choice of the right music at the propitious moment...or the acceptance that for some moments, a connection with this flow in the heart cannot be made, and one must endure.

Caleo Tue 04-Apr-23 00:40:02

Wyllow3, if you are saying it's impossible to define the good , I agree. I also agree that all we can know of the good is lived examples of what reflects the good.

Carmen54 Mon 29-Jan-24 21:07:46

Dear Cornforth You say you wish you had faithe--I can understand that especially when you see people of faith and how well it affects their lives

It will cost you nothing to sit and try and have a chat with God

Hey God if your there I would like ot chat with you Please let me feel your Love and Presence

And see what happens

I truly believe you will feel His Love

What do you have to loose smile

Carmen54 Mon 29-Jan-24 21:09:06

keep us posted on that one smile