Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

The Big Bang, Darwin and the God of the Gaps

(121 Posts)
Alegrias1 Fri 09-Apr-21 20:22:30

Evolution or creation? Belief or science? Was it just chance? (Clue - no, it wasn't.)

Go!

Callistemon Sat 10-Apr-21 10:19:04

We went to see the film Doppelgänger many years ago.

Callistemon Sat 10-Apr-21 10:33:55

I think that, in general, we need to have an explanation for the fact that we are here, that galaxies, suns and planets exist in never-ending space, as the vastness of the universe is difficult to comprehend.

If we cannot comprehend this we need to rationalise it in some way and that is how gods and religions emerged, to fill in the gaps.

As increasingly more knowledge is discovered and gaps are filled, fewer people will believe in higher beings to explain why and how we are here.

Religion was also a way to control people and, generally, people are better educated and less compliable now.

I'm just musing and hope you can follow my not-very-bright thoughts.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 10-Apr-21 10:35:54

Alegrias I responded on the other thread for continuity.

geekesse Sat 10-Apr-21 10:51:30

Well, this is going a little better than I expected. But I’m still waiting for the discussion about Polkinghorne...

Esspee Sat 10-Apr-21 10:57:37

Oh dear. I popped on here to say The Big Bang Theory was a favourite TV series of mine.

<I’ll get my coat>

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:03:26

Jumblygran never looked at it that way, but you’re so right. ?

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:04:54

It was actually very good Esspee, wasn't it. They had a physics advisor, as I'm sure you know. The equations and functions on the blackboard in their flat were real theorems.

" The whole universe was a hot dense place..... "

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:13:53

geekesse

Well, this is going a little better than I expected. But I’m still waiting for the discussion about Polkinghorne...

Oh, we're honoured.

Feel free to start talking about Polkinghorne. He's been on my mind since he died last month.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:17:27

Actually the Big Bang theory may be turned in its head. I don’t for one minute understand it but apparently physicists have found another area of research that has been previously undiscovered but could answer some of the questions that could not be answered.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 10-Apr-21 12:38:51

Is this the String Theory which Stephen Hawkins and Thomas Hertog worked on before Hawkins death Whitewave2? I don’t understand quantum physics, but I think it means that the Big Bang theory could be wrong, and in fact the universe may be finite and far far simpler than current BB theories.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 10-Apr-21 12:40:46

Sorry predictive text spelt Hawkings name wrongly.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 10-Apr-21 13:17:47

Greeneyedgirl

Is this the String Theory which Stephen Hawkins and Thomas Hertog worked on before Hawkins death Whitewave2? I don’t understand quantum physics, but I think it means that the Big Bang theory could be wrong, and in fact the universe may be finite and far far simpler than current BB theories.

Well it was announced this week so not sure. I’m sorry I am not very helpful, but I’m sure it will be discussed on the media.

Callistemon Sat 10-Apr-21 13:57:22

But I’m still waiting for the discussion about Polkinghorne...

Why wait for someone else to start it geekesse?

geekesse Sat 10-Apr-21 14:00:47

Callistemon

^But I’m still waiting for the discussion about Polkinghorne...^

Why wait for someone else to start it geekesse?

I appended it to the parallel discussion where it fitted more naturally into the conversation.

Callistemon Sat 10-Apr-21 14:02:47

"Nature abhors a vacuum" so, in this particular instance where much could not be explained, religion filled the vacuum.

geekesse Sat 10-Apr-21 14:54:19

Callistemon

"Nature abhors a vacuum" so, in this particular instance where much could not be explained, religion filled the vacuum.

Can you expand on that? I can’t decide whether it’s a rephrasing of the God of the gaps argument, or whether it’s intended as a swipe at another poster.

Callistemon Sat 10-Apr-21 17:10:14

confused
It was not my intention to take a swipe at anyone.

It was a statement and no, sorry, I don't have time to expand on it.

Elegran Sat 10-Apr-21 17:40:01

Callistemon

Are we a result of selective breeding from 'Gods' ie other beings who were far more advanced than us?

But how did those other beings get so advanced? Did they evolve or were they created by previous even more advanced beings? Is it turtles all the way down? Down where?

lemongrove Sat 10-Apr-21 17:50:00

We do have to remember that the Big Bang Theory is just that, a theory, even if a convincing one.
It makes the mind boggle, contemplating the universe, never mind parallel universes, or anything never ending.
Most of us can get our heads around the swirling gases and the big bang etc but as Oldwoman70 says in her last sentence,
Who, or what, created all that energy in the first place?
You don’t get something from nothing ( or at least not in our understanding.)

Whitewavemark2 Sat 10-Apr-21 17:58:03

Sounds as if the Big Bang will be kicked into touch, as rather excitingly, they may have found an explanation for the universe.

It’s a God??!

No just teasing, of course it isn’t.

Witzend Sat 10-Apr-21 18:15:24

I have a private theory that religion started way back, with primitive man and rainbows.

Who on earth could be sending this amazing thing in the sky? There must be some frighteningly powerful being up there! But at least this pretty coloured thing means s/he is not mad with us at the moment, not like when s/he sent that scarily violent thunderstorm.

Maybe we should try to keep him/her happy with offerings - a nice roast leg of mammoth, perhaps, or we could always sacrifice a young virgin or two...

vampirequeen Sat 10-Apr-21 18:27:31

Hasn't it just been decided that we're all holograms?

Elegran Sat 10-Apr-21 19:52:00

Witzend And then when there were more of them, and they started living together in bigger groups, with the most sensible and experienced (and the biggest and scariest . . . ) telling the rest where they were going hunting today, and who would be getting the best bits of the carcase because they had been most help in tracking and killing most beasts, their image of the Big Man Up There changed a bit to include being an overall leader, guiding them to where they would find good food and rewarding those he liked. After they began to keep sheep and goats He changed further, to become the good shepherd, leading them to rich pastures and fresh water.

Callistemon Sat 10-Apr-21 19:54:16

It’s a God ??!

No, it's a piece of string.

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Apr-21 19:59:31

How long is it? ??