Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

What happens to truly evil people when die?

(206 Posts)
Santana Thu 09-Dec-21 14:38:45

My brother in law died last night.
A truly evil man.
Before my mum passed away she told me that he would have to stand before the Almighty and answer for all the things he had
done.
Things so terrible I can't say them.
I believe in a loving and forgiving God, so I'm having some trouble with what she said.
Any advice would be welcome please

Maudi Thu 09-Dec-21 16:09:06

What about the poor souls who die before their time, why did they die early yet some evil scumbag lives into old age.

Hetty58 Thu 09-Dec-21 16:11:16

I don't believe in truly evil people. Sick people do evil things, though. I don't believe in a God either - but I understand why people do.

We retain our childlike sense of fairness, along with a deep wish for a 'parent figure' in charge of everything (including the mess we've made of the world). Psychologically, it's just so comforting and convenient.

Anniebach Thu 09-Dec-21 16:13:03

God knows not only if we truly repent but also what caused us to be the person we are.

Georgesgran Thu 09-Dec-21 16:17:33

I’m with Luckygirl13 on this one.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Dec-21 16:23:39

I’m with annie.

crazyH Thu 09-Dec-21 16:24:57

I haven’t been exactly, the best daughter, the best wife or the best mother. But I am making up for it, by trying to be the best grandmother.

Chestnut Thu 09-Dec-21 16:39:58

Anniebach

God knows not only if we truly repent but also what caused us to be the person we are.

Well that is a fascinating subject. What is the story behind Little Arthur's parents to make them like that? Is it a 'bad gene' or has their childhood been so awful it has turned them into monsters? I've known of two horrible people in my life, one a sociopath and the other a malevolent narcissist (that is the type). I just have no idea why they are like that or why they get pleasure out of hurting other people, but they do. Ian Brady was one, he kept the location of that little boy's body secret just for the power. They have no empathy for other people's suffering which is why they enjoy hurting people.

Blondiescot Thu 09-Dec-21 17:27:34

Germanshepherdsmum

I believe God forgives.

So why does 'God' allow such evil to take place in the first place? No-one - whatever sky fairy they happen to believe in - has ever been able to give me a satisfactory answer to that question.

Chestnut Thu 09-Dec-21 17:38:24

Blondiescot if you believe in God as a 'force of goodness' then you also have to believe in the devil as 'a force of evil' and it is he who causes all the misery in the world. These are the two opposing sides. People choose to do evil, God doesn't make them do evil. He lets them choose whether they want to do good or evil.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Dec-21 17:45:05

How about the victims of evil?
Where is their choice?

Chestnut Thu 09-Dec-21 17:47:21

Victims of evil have no choice, those responsible have taken that from them which is what makes them so evil.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Dec-21 17:49:40

It would be nice to think there is some kind of karma for people, but I'm very sceptical, much as I long to think that the balance is redressed somewhere along the line.

LtEve Thu 09-Dec-21 17:51:13

I believe that unless they truly repent on earth and willingly accept their punishment they will face a heavenly judge who knows everything that is in their hearts and minds and who will deliver a God given sentence. We do not know what that will be but it will be just and fair.
I do not believe God will forgive those who do not repent. The thieves crucified either side of Christ were there that none need despair but none should presume.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Dec-21 17:54:36

I also believe that some people are truly evil.
Some kind of malfunction in their brain means that they are simply unable to feel empathy.
Not their fault, if that is the case, but very, very dangerous.

Blondiescot Thu 09-Dec-21 17:59:59

Chestnut

Blondiescot if you believe in God as a 'force of goodness' then you also have to believe in the devil as 'a force of evil' and it is he who causes all the misery in the world. These are the two opposing sides. People choose to do evil, God doesn't make them do evil. He lets them choose whether they want to do good or evil.

So it's ok for 'God' to let poor innocent children like Arthur to suffer, because he lets people choose whether they want to do good or evil then? That's the part I cannot get my head round.

MissAdventure Thu 09-Dec-21 18:04:58

Me neither.

Zoejory Thu 09-Dec-21 18:12:53

In my world there will be no God or Devil waiting to drag me off to wherever.

Nobody really knows what happens when we die.

But as far as I'm concerned there is no hell beneath us, no heaven above. As John Lennon used to say.

eazybee Thu 09-Dec-21 19:31:20

They get reincarnated as politicians.
my brother -in-law, a truly evil man
Uncle Bob, who went to Hell

And some people think these comments are funny.
I don't.

Blondiescot Thu 09-Dec-21 19:39:06

What's so bad about them?

JaneJudge Thu 09-Dec-21 19:40:17

Sorry Mr Johnson

SuzieHi Thu 09-Dec-21 19:42:15

Focus on the fact that he’s gone and life will be better without him.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Dec-21 20:11:22

I’m a Humanist. I don’t believe there is a God. It would be a comfort to believe in the after life sometimes. But sadly I just don’t. I believe we are all here ‘for a season’. Then we die. And that’s it ... but we live on in others we leave behind should they love or like us and perhaps think of us with fondness now and again.

Therefore I don’t believe either in a ‘day of reckoning’ or anything. The bad people do just get away with it. We live and then fall, like leaves from a tree to nourish the soil for future generations. This is all we have. That’s why I try to be the nicest, kindest person I can be while I have breath in my body.

It does tend to focus the mind, believing this is all there is! No second chances. It is what it is. Life sadly isn’t fair. Never was, never will be.

grannyrebel7 Thu 09-Dec-21 21:02:37

My friend has expert medical knowledge above and beyond the average person with no medical training whatsoever. She has had a horrible life and was told by a clairvoyant on the other side of the world in an online chat that this is because she was a Nazi doctor during the war who took part in experiments on people in the death camps. She really believes it and that bad people such as your BIL Santana will live another life where they suffer to atone for their sins in a past life. Not sure I believe it myself as a Christian, but find it quite interesting.

GillT57 Thu 09-Dec-21 22:00:36

Grannyrebel, the clairvoyant who told your friend she was a nazi doctor in a previous life is the truly evil one. What wicked nonsense.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Dec-21 22:07:51

Goodness. How to make someone having a horrible life feel even worse about themselves and their situation. What a horrible thing to say to anyone!