Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

What happens to truly evil people when die?

(206 Posts)
Santana Thu 09-Dec-21 14:38:45

My brother in law died last night.
A truly evil man.
Before my mum passed away she told me that he would have to stand before the Almighty and answer for all the things he had
done.
Things so terrible I can't say them.
I believe in a loving and forgiving God, so I'm having some trouble with what she said.
Any advice would be welcome please

Grantanow Mon 19-Dec-22 17:08:58

They probably go to Paris. Seriously, no-one knows what happens after death. Myself, I think nothing happens. There is no continuation in an afterlife, heaven and hell and purgatory don't exist and the body decomposes if buried.

Stormystar Thu 08-Dec-22 14:35:10

What happens when we die is a complete unknowable mystery. So Santana choose to believe what brings peace within your own heart, you say you believe in a kind and loving God, I’d suggest that’s because you yourself are a kind and loving person.

Grantanow Wed 30-Nov-22 12:19:58

They die exactly like everyone else. There's no Hell or Heaven - that's just jam tomorrow to keep the masses quiet.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 30-Nov-22 10:25:46

He didn’t die knowing that he had been loved. For me the thought that all my life I have had someone to love me is the most consoling thought I can think of.

Smileless2012 Wed 30-Nov-22 10:19:35

That's it in a nutshell nannasmile.

nanna8 Wed 30-Nov-22 10:17:19

If a person who has committed evil acts and thoughts turns to Jesus and genuinely repents of his evil doing he/she will be saved and come into heaven. That is the whole reason Jesus came to earth, to bear all our sins. If we don’t repent of our sins ( and we all have sinned one way or another) then we will not enter Heaven. Pretty clear if you read the Bible.

pollinsworth Wed 30-Nov-22 01:28:48

I am new to this forum, I will help you understand what happens to an evil person when they die.

I have read down thru the comments and basically allot of them have no scriptural reference meaning I cannot find it in the bible.

What I will say is that there was a scriptural reference in bible that tells us exactly where they go that reference is in the book of
Luke 16:19 about the rich man and Lazarus.
another reference is
Luke 23:39 were an evil man hanging on the cross next to Christ was rebuked by the one on the other side that repented for what he did. Christ looked to that one and said today you will be with me in Paradise meaning Christ said to this one you will be with me in Paradise the good side. In Paradise there is two separate areas divided by a impassable gulf. one good those that try to live a life that Pleased God and the other side for those that wanted to live life on their own terms which ends up being a place of torment and this is a torment seeing all the good things on the good side while the other side gets nothing. Once you leave this life you NO LONGER CAN MAKE A GOOD REPENTANCE IT HAS TO BE DONE HERE AND NOW.

Luk 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

Smileless2012 Sat 26-Nov-22 14:37:06

That's what I was told UserNamesAreOverated, that rather than being a place, hell is total separation from God.

Georgesgran Sat 26-Nov-22 14:36:45

I agree, LadyH
I believe in no God, nor life after death either.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 26-Nov-22 14:31:36

They become a quantity of lifeless organic matter which is broken down by bacteria and re-enters the food chain. Unless they are cremated in which case they become atmospheric gases which re-enter the food chain a little further down the line.

Same as happens to all of us really.

Then we shall all 'ave eaten thee.

There are no intrinsically evil people, there are only people who do evil things.

Anniebach Sat 26-Nov-22 14:18:52

When I read of ‘evil deeds’ I wonder - evil or mentally ill.

UserNamesAreOverrated Sat 26-Nov-22 14:06:54

A very wise priest once said to me that he believed totally in heaven and in hell, but that he also totally believed that a loving god would not send any soul to hell. I asked him about evil people and what happened to them when they died and he said he believed that they would have to be aware of the total absence of the love of god until they finally became aware of the absolute beauty and love that God is, and desired to be one with Him.

Smileless2012 Sat 05-Feb-22 16:43:18

That sounds lovely GSM. We have a beautiful cemetery just down the road which I love to walk through. Not for me though as I'll be cremated.

The C of E also baptises adults. Our vicar told us she once did an adult baptism in the sea, after obtaining permission to do so.

Blondiescot Sat 05-Feb-22 16:02:06

Galaxy

I also laugh at the idea that people think we want to go to this mythical heaven. If it anything like some of the views described on this thread I dont want to be within a country mile of it.

Me neither! I don't believe in heaven nor hell, but if they did exist, I'm sure all the most interesting people would be in the latter.

Bridgeit Sat 05-Feb-22 15:58:32

No , not like a mini Christening,
It is a dedication , not specifically for the naming of a child as is with a Christening .

Bridgeit Sat 05-Feb-22 15:54:04

How do you know that God is well aware of how ‘ horrible his creations can be’?

MissAdventure Sat 05-Feb-22 15:45:40

Dedicated to god?
Like a mini christening?

Bridgeit Sat 05-Feb-22 15:31:42

The Baptist Church does Baptise adults, but children can be/are Dedicated in a short Ceremony & Given a Dedication Certificate .

MissAdventure Sat 05-Feb-22 15:26:10

That sounds lovely.
Somehow it's important, where a person is laid to rest. smile

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 05-Feb-22 15:03:19

It comforts me to know the quiet old country churchyard where I will be buried. Family and friends there already, tall cow parsley in the oldest part in summer, primroses in spring and beautiful meadowland grazed by horses behind me.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Feb-22 14:58:22

I love a nice church and graveyard myself. smile
We have a couple around here.
I enjoy reading the gravestones and thinking about all the people's lives.
Some are very poignant.

silverlining48 Sat 05-Feb-22 14:33:53

MissA it used to be taken for granted and most christened their children then.
I was christened too and confirmed at about 12/13. (My mother ‘s decree). Had always gone to Sunday school before starting regular church services, but by then was older and maybe wiser, so stopped at that point.
When my dc were young most babies were christened but parents rarely held any religious belief. Often that and weddings/funerals were the only time they set foot in a church. It seemed to be a reason fir a party and presents, than anything to do with religion.
I didn’t want to use the church like that, so didn’t marry in church or have my children christened.
I do find religion as a subject interesting though and always enjoy a quiet wander round an old church or cemetery. It’s always very peaceful.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 05-Feb-22 14:17:34

I like your father’s view too Annie. If more people were so sensible perhaps we wouldn’t have had the Protestant/Catholic problems in Northern Ireland.

MissAdventure Sat 05-Feb-22 14:11:31

I was christened, though I'm not sure why.
Probably to please one of the nans, I'd imagine.

silverlining48 Sat 05-Feb-22 14:07:47

I think it’s the same MissA. Maybe baptism is a wetter experience.

None of my family are religious and my Ac and gc were not christened. They were brought up to be honest and kind and to do as you would be done by.
All are good, decent people who do no harm and live their lives working and helping others, at some risk, and for little financial reward.

I don’t know where we go after death, but suspect we remain exactly where we are buried/cremated. Most are remembered with love and gratitude, but some. like the OP Bil are best forgotten.