Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Shared communion cup

(80 Posts)
Sloegin Mon 18-Apr-22 17:58:15

I went back to church yesterday for first time since before first lockdown. I am still being very careful with mask wearing, distancing etc as my husband is unwell and very vulnerable. This was the Anglican Church ( Church of Ireland) which I normally attend. I was very surprised that they have gone back to a shared cup. I think until now communicants were just receiving bread. The rector did make it clear that anyone not comfortable sharing the cup could just take the chalice and hand it back without sipping. This is what I did but think I was the only member of congregation who did. What do others think? Is it not too soon? Should the Anglican Church adopt the same practice as non conformist churches with individual cups? There is something very symbolic about a shared cup but covid is still with us.

hollysteers Fri 29-Apr-22 01:21:29

At the height of the pandemic, unmasked worshippers entering a crowded church in Moscow were questioned about the wisdom of their actions. They replied that as they would be in the house of God, no infection could harm them…
My (lapsed) mother always stressed to me not to take the chalice as she had a morbid fear of TB, her sister contracting it and two very close colleagues aged 19 died from it. Best friends, they shared everything, including lipstick, which my mother thought was the last straw.

nanna8 Fri 29-Apr-22 06:02:48

We have little separate glasses ( Presbyterian) as they also did in the Baptist and the Uniting churches I have attended. During the pandemic we had these horrible little individual bread and wine capsules where you peeled off the layers between each sealed section- a bit like the little milks you get on aircraft. Truly vile.

Esspee Fri 29-Apr-22 07:11:32

In this day and age when we know so much about how infections are transmitted how can anyone in their right mind drink from a receptacle others have been drinking from?

Grantanow Fri 29-Apr-22 11:10:33

It's clearly risky to share a drinking utensil and a wiping cloth will carry infection from one wipe to the next.