Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Visitation Dreams, have any of you experienced one?

(58 Posts)
Sago Wed 24-Aug-22 16:44:44

I recently had a “visitation dream” it was someone 1 had been very close to in my 20’s we lost touch as we both moved away but her husband messaged me to tell me she had died suddenly.

She came to me and let me know she was watching over her 3 children, it was all so real.
It left me feeling very comforted.

Strangely I had not been thinking about her recently so it was really out of the blue.

After reading and contributing to Annies thread on grief I read up on these type of dreams and it seems if you “tune in” you can invite a visitation.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

SporeRB Thu 25-Aug-22 23:25:31

My sister told me of a visitation dream she once had. There was a knock on the door and when she answered it, there was my mum and 2 young ladies with her. They were all dressed in white.

My sister asked my mum ‘who are the two young ladies with you’ and she said ‘They are your sisters’ and she mentioned their names, the names of her 2 daughters who passed away when they were toddlers.

I once dreamt of my dad and eldest brother. They were sitting on a blue sofa together and when they saw me, they stood up and greeted me and were so very pleased to see me.

Esmay Fri 26-Aug-22 11:16:53

I have these frequently .

But I wonder if it's because I long for people that I've lost .

I really miss my grandmother .She looked after me from babyhood until I left home .
She provided me with love and stability .
My parents should never have married each other and they should not have had a child .

I find these dreams disturbing and upsetting .

MissAdventure Fri 26-Aug-22 11:21:43

Is it your grandmother you dream of?

Lathyrus Fri 26-Aug-22 11:30:35

If it’s disturbing and upsetting then it’s a dream, where your mind is trying to work something out or come to terms with something.

A visitation in my experience is much more “real” that that and almost always brings comfort, reassurance and understanding.
It often involves a physical manifestation too of being held or touched.

Your grandmother would never want you to be troubled or upset by her presence.

Esmay Fri 26-Aug-22 12:26:02

I dream about childhood friends , who died and adult friends ,who've passed since .

In my dreams , my grandma says I've been here all the time
I'm not really dead .
We are always in an incredible garden - like me , she loved plants .She wears a favourite royal blue dress . Her face is calm and smiling .
It's so vivid .

I think that the night that she takes my hand - I'll pass .

I should find her presence comforting and reassuring , but I remember just how overcome with pain and grief I was when she died and how much I miss her .
She was a wonderful person and frankly , life with my crazy parents must have been intolerable .
I suppose that I feel guilty that I wasn't there for her during her last few years .
But she pushed people away ...

Toetoe Fri 26-Aug-22 12:34:24

Yes I have many , one with my two cavalier king Charles dogs , I woke to feel and see them sitting on my chest , they were real , I smelt them , snuggled them , they were with me for maybe 25 seconds then evaporated . This was 17 years ago I still remember. I have many , I know the difference between a dream and a visitation dream . The memory is forever

MissAdventure Fri 26-Aug-22 12:37:10

That's very sad, Esmay.
Are you able to steer your dreams, at all?
Do you think you would be able to explain to her in your dream?

Esmay Fri 26-Aug-22 12:48:10

Hi Miss A ,
I think that she appears when I'm stressed out .
It is sad .
The only real comfort that I get is praying and reading my bible as she did .
She should have been a missionary .
So it's a reminder to do so the next day .

MissAdventure Fri 26-Aug-22 12:55:29

flowers
Do you find any parts in your bible that might particularly relate to whatever is sressing you out at that time?

I can't help but think there must be a specific message she is telling you. (Well, I hope so, very much)

Grankle Fri 26-Aug-22 13:00:52

Yes, my husband.
The first dream he just stood and smiled. The second one, he came with an old friend, he brought me three pigeons! I felt a lovely sense of calm.
He smiled and said that I would be alright and that he wouldn't come again. I haven't seen him since.

Juno56 Fri 26-Aug-22 13:12:15

I haven't but I believe my daughter had one when she was only seven. A couple of months after my mother's death my DD told me that grandma had sat on her bed and stroked her hair. She knew it was grandma because she could smell her (my mother always used Yardley's Rose soap). She said she was still sad but she knew that grandma didn't want her to cry anymore. I believe that my mother came to comfort not just a sad little girl but me too.

paddyann54 Fri 26-Aug-22 14:28:20

My daughter had many over her chidhood ,the first was when she was @2 we woke to hear her chatting and pausing as if listening to an answer.When we went into her room she was annoyed because we had chased the wee girl away,I asked her who the wee girl was and she told me the wee girl who should live here but had to go away and sometimes she comes to see me and you..
We had lost her sister 16 months before she was born and she hadn't been told anything about her ,and no one else had spoken of her in DD 's presence
.I really wanted to believe it was true as I never saw my baby after she was born she was whisked away to a SCBU unit in the city and died 4 days later .I was in intensive care for much of that time and they wouldn't let me travel to see her.

Taichinan Fri 26-Aug-22 18:25:20

My husband was killed in a road accident. A couple of months later I was in church and became aware he was standing next to me, dressed in his RAF great coat, best peaked hat and officer's leather gloves. I could feel him there, but when I turned towards him he disappeared.
About 7 years later I woke one morning aware that I had had a significant dream but was unable to remember it and forgot all about it. Then later that morning I was doing some housework. When I lifted his framed photo to dust it I got what seemed like an electric shock and had immediate recall of the dream. I was visiting him in hospital (he was killed instantly in the accident, so I had never had to do that) and his bed was in the middle of a large lawned garden. He was paraplegic. When I had to leave I was concerned about leaving him alone with no way of contacting anyone should he need anything, so rushed off to get a mobile phone. By the time I came back with the phone he was up and moving very stiffly round his bed. "Look" he said. "I'm fine, so you don't need to worry about me. And anyway, you and I don't need mobile phones to keep in touch." It was so comforting, so loving and so him. 21 years on from that I still remember it so vividly.
On another occasion, about three months after my sister died, I was about to get out of my car to go in to visit my great niece and her family (my sister's granddaughter and great grandchildren) when my phone pinged with a message. Across the top of the screen was my sister's number. No message, just that, but wow!
I also sometimes, just as I'm dropping off to sleep, have visitations from people who I assume have recently died (not people I have known). One was particularly vivid. He was a young lad of maybe 19 or 20, a mop of curly hair and with freckles across his nose. "You know, I didn't want to die. I really really didn't want to die. But now I have, it's wonderful!" is what he said. It was such a vivid visitation that I couldn't forget it and often thought of him. Then a few years later I saw his photo! The lady I was with said he was her husband's young cousin who had committed suicide a few years ago (about the time of my visitation). His mother could never believe that he would have done that and always wondered if it was some sort of experiment that had gone wrong. My friend told her what I had told her, and I really hope it gave her a little comfort.
I'm sorry, this is maybe a little long, but it's good to get a chance to share these experiences.

vampirequeen Fri 26-Aug-22 18:31:39

I was very ill with a high temperature and kept kicking off the covers. My grandma kept covering me up again. She sat and watched over me as I slipped in and out of sleep. Every time I opened my eyes she was there. The doctor phoned me to see how I was and I told him that Grandma was looking after me. He seemed somewhat bemused and asked how old she was. I told her that she was dead but was here atm. The next thing an ambulance came to take me into hospital. The doctor said it was a hallucination. My grandma is going to be so angry if she took the trouble to come and look after me only to be written off as a fever dream.

Taichinan Fri 26-Aug-22 18:37:05

Grannynannywanny how lovely - and not silly at all. Reading all the posts it's obvious the huge comfort derived from these happenings. And yes, I truly believe that they are Real.

Taichinan Fri 26-Aug-22 18:39:49

vampirequeen I'm led to believe that visitation dreams occur just as we are dropping off to sleep or are beginning to wake up, both times when our minds are most relaxed.

MissAdventure Fri 26-Aug-22 18:59:35

Those would be the times to try out lucid dreaming, or astral projection, if you're brave.

Pammie1 Fri 26-Aug-22 19:01:37

I lost my husband of forty years, just over five years ago. He collapsed, out of the blue, and was rushed to hospital. The diagnosis was pneumonia affecting both lungs and he was sedated and placed on a ventilator while they did further tests. A few days later a CT scan revealed a large tumour on his lung - inoperable and the cause of the infection. The consultant recommended ending life support, as he was rapidly deteriorating and he died the same day. It all happened so fast - it was 12 days from admission to hospital to his passing away.

I was devastated and couldn’t get to grips with it at all- going over and over our final conversations and beating myself up about what more I could have done.

A few days after he died I was in bed - around 2am, wide awake and weeping. The TV was on in the corner of the room - in those first weeks I couldn’t seem to settle without it for company for some reason. I know I was awake because I was reaching over for a tissue off the bedside table when I felt a presence in the room. The mattress depressed as though someone was sitting down on the edge of the bed. I couldn’t see anything, but I sort of knew something or someone was there - it was calming, almost reassuring. It lasted a few minutes and then I felt the mattress move again, as though someone had got up from the bed. And then it was gone.

I’ve recounted this to various people - friends and family and they all indulge me, but I know they think it was a dream or illusion. But I know it was real. We never got to say a real goodbye. He was out of sedation the night before he died, and trying to communicate, but all I could do was tell him how much I loved him and to reassure him that all was well. I felt so guilty after he passed - for not telling him the truth and giving us the opportunity to say our goodbyes. I think that night was him doing just that - a final farewell before moving on to whatever comes next.

Esmay Sat 27-Aug-22 08:20:24

Hi MissA ,

I open my bible at random and usually find that the verse is consoling .

Sometimes , I concentrate on the Psalms .

MissAdventure Sat 27-Aug-22 11:00:08

Oh I'm glad you do find something to help you. smile
I do hope you'll get a visitation (if you believe in them) at some point, though.

Stormystar Sun 11-Sep-22 15:40:38

Yes Taichinan in the betwixt and between state in the twilight zone our brainwaves are in alpha or theta, and our rational awake state is switched off, so all kinds of experiences become possible. The Angel is a symbolic representation of this Liminal space between god and humanity, often called a messenger. “ now we see as through a glass darkly then we shall see face to face” I love this mystery of life and as I’m growing older the veil seems to be more transparent, and often I sense the presence of departed loved ones, and think if only I had turned my head faster I would see them. Ive experienced many things inexplicable or explainable from the logical brain but The heart knows what the heart knows!

JaneJudge Sun 11-Sep-22 15:42:08

I have, they are so real sad

red1 Thu 15-Sep-22 10:49:42

in the literature on near death experiences,there are lots of the deceased visiting people around the time of death.Ive had one 4 years ago,very surreal.

MawtheMerrier Thu 15-Sep-22 11:48:42

I regularly dream that Paw is still with me - having been together for all our adult lives it seems perfectly normal but I do also remember a vivid dream not long after he died that he was still alive and my one thought as I emerged from my dream, was that somehow I would have to go through losing him again. sad
I also had a distinct sensation one night of somebody’s back up against mine in bed - no, not the dog, Hattie didn’t go in for that unlike Rosie who regularly snuggles up. Again I didn’t find it strange just comforting.
My one other experience was again within 6 months of his death, watching the introduction to a Glyndebourne streaming of an opera (I forget which) in a local cinema where the camera panned round the opera goers enjoying their picnics in the gardens. I clearly saw him in his DJ and Panama hat sitting at a table with people I didn’t recognise. I have seen the same clip more than once since and he’s not there. There’s no way it was him as we haven’t been to Glyndebourne since the 80’s an this was definitely filmed quite recently.
Doesn’t stop me looking and hoping to catch a glimpse though.

Sago Thu 15-Sep-22 11:52:29

Maw and Stormystar lovely posts.
It was such a vivid dream for me and I felt so comforted afterwards.
I do hope we all get to experience it at least once in a lifetime.