Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Would you agree to pay Church Tax for your faith?

(78 Posts)
Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 14:40:00

In Germany, churches can collect taxes from their members. This is called the church tax (Kirchensteuer). Around half of German tax payers pay the church tax1. The church tax is 8% of your income tax in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg, and 9% in the rest of Germany.

If you had to do that as a token of your faith, to attend services, mariages and burials, would you?

It is easy to tick 'C of E' or other faith on the census- another to put your money where your tick is.

M0nica Sun 22-Jan-23 16:33:42

I would do it. I effectively do so already.

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 16:34:11

Thanks, that is interesting.

The question however, now, currently, would you do the same?

Septimia Sun 22-Jan-23 16:36:00

Fleurpepper it is a fallacy that the Cof E is rich. It may have property that amounts to millions (and you can only sell assets once) but individual dioceses struggle to get enough income to pay for clergy and are having to cut down on numbers.

Moreover, small churches like ours still had to find the usual amount of "parish share" to pay to the diocese for clergy wages etc throughout the pandemic, even though we couldn't have services. In our case, most of the money is made from events and we couldn't hold any, so had no income. Village halls on the other hand got grants of tens of thousands.

I get fed up with hearing how rich the Cof E is when I struggle regularly to get enough into our funds to pay the bills. It just isn't the sort of rich that keeps parish churches going - we have to do that ourselves.

Joseanne Sun 22-Jan-23 16:37:31

I would agree to it, but then I come from a Minister's family. Although not C of E.
I would also agree to fo it for one person who cannot afford to. Isn't that what Christians do?

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 16:40:35

Well, it is relatively rich compared to many other Protestant Churches.

Which is not the question of in this thread. I imagine you, like Norah, would be happy to pay your 8-10%- which is to be totally respected.

The question is about others, who are less dedicated to their Faith and Church - and are what I have called more 'cultural Christians' than true believers, but are quite happy to tick or mention, on census, that they are CofE (or other)- as it is their cultural norm, but no more. Would they opt out, or pay?

Norah Sun 22-Jan-23 16:44:46

Fleurpepper

We tithe, always have, will always continue.

However, we would want the 'tax' flowing to our individual Parish, not to the coffers of our overall Church.

Mixed answer, I know.

Ailidh Sun 22-Jan-23 16:46:46

👏👏 Septimia.

Yes, CofE "central" may hold millions in property, which, as you say, can only be sold once, but it certainly doesn't trickle down to local parishes. Because of the parish share, each individual congregation doesn't have to raise enough to fund a priest (fairly modest stipend but a rent-free house, pension contribution, it all adds up); though there are fewer and fewer clergy to go round, and their workloads are being stretched even tighter. The cost of heating/lighting/insuring/maintaining/repairing often large (and magnificent) buildings is huge, never mind the cost of replacing stolen flagstones/lead/roofslates/copper lighting conductors.....

Yes, I would pay a church tax.

JaneJudge Sun 22-Jan-23 16:48:58

No i wouldn't be happy to pay a tax to any religion. I always tick 'no faith/religion' and feel that if there is a God - they will have judged me and I am a fast train to hell, if that contributes to the discussion

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 16:49:23

Norah

Fleurpepper

We tithe, always have, will always continue.

However, we would want the 'tax' flowing to our individual Parish, not to the coffers of our overall Church.

Mixed answer, I know.

Of course, the money is redistributed to Parishes, for their needs. That is a given.

Somehow no-one seems to choose to reply to the question in the OP. A pity.

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 16:51:39

Thanks Ailidh- posts crossed.

Of course Jane Judge, like me you would not pay Church Tax as you are not a believer. So the question does not apply to you (or me for that matter).

Joseanne Sun 22-Jan-23 16:52:06

I have no objection to anyone ticking C of E or any other box. It doesn't get them preferential treatment or further up the queue. What's the problem?

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 16:53:19

Agreed Joseanne. To be frank, not the question here, is it?

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 16:59:05

Lemsip however did point this out, quite rightly

''we think it is very important that people answer the question on religion if we want an accurate picture of the country as a basis for law and policy.''

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 22-Jan-23 17:38:38

I’d declare no faith as I don’t follow one. Whilst I’d never decry what others may get from being active members of a church, my personal belief, perhaps tailored by being brought up in strict Catholicism, isn’t so positive. I believe for many, it’s far from a black and white issue for many reasons.

GrannyRose15 Sun 22-Jan-23 19:21:24

Re Tithes

When tithes of 10% were collected by the church from the people there was no income tax and the only welfare state was provided by the church.

Georgesgran Sun 22-Jan-23 19:25:44

I’m with JJ - Hell on a handcart comes to mind.
Each to their own.

mumofmadboys Sun 22-Jan-23 19:25:56

The Church of England is not rich by any means. It struggles to upkeep all its buildings, provide pensions for retired clergy and pay the stipends of the present clergy. It is having to make considerable cutbacks.

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 19:30:45

Accepted.

But please, this is not the question here.

BrightandBreezy Sun 22-Jan-23 19:34:54

It would make very little difference to me. We contribute weekly to our local church. If we and other members didn't it couldn't stay open as it is a very small independent church. We pay by DD so the church has our contribution whether we attend or not. For example if we are I'll or on holiday so I suppose a church tax would operate in a similar way. I would rather though pay directly to the local church than a general church tax as paying locally supports our contribution to local initiatives for the homeless and others in our own community.

grannyactivist Sun 22-Jan-23 19:46:05

Oh gosh - churches and Christians have struggled with the question of tithes (aka church tax) since the beginning of the church.

In Bible times the ‘church’ was a very loose concept of ‘believers’ who supported one another spiritually AND financially. Although their followers occasionally gifted them money the church leaders had jobs alongside their ministries, so most of the money raised from ‘tithes’ went to support the poor people amongst them. (Our taxes to government now do much of the same thing as mentioned up thread.)

I’m a Christian, but not C of E. When attending organised churches I usually paid a tithe (10% of net income) to the church, but eventually I left and stopped doing this. Now, as a house church leader with no overheads, my full tithe can be used to support charities and individuals (including, but not exclusively Christian ones).

A roundabout way of saying yes, I would pay a ‘faith’ tax, but no - not into centralised church funds.

Smileless2012 Sun 22-Jan-23 20:19:09

No, I wouldn't be happy to be taxed for my faith which for me is what a 'faith tax' is.

Money is given freely to the church we attend on a regular basis, and given freely if we attend services elsewhere.

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 20:23:34

Thanks for the last few posts which replied in the spirit ( ;) ) of the thread.

Smileless- doyou think any Church can cover costs for all I mentionned above with what is given in the box by regular Church goers?

Norah Sun 22-Jan-23 20:28:13

BrightandBreezy

It would make very little difference to me. We contribute weekly to our local church. If we and other members didn't it couldn't stay open as it is a very small independent church. We pay by DD so the church has our contribution whether we attend or not. For example if we are I'll or on holiday so I suppose a church tax would operate in a similar way. I would rather though pay directly to the local church than a general church tax as paying locally supports our contribution to local initiatives for the homeless and others in our own community.

Precisely what I was unsuccessfully attempting to post.

We've tithed for over 62 yrs to the same Church. I'd be happy to pay it as a Church 'tax' instead, if said tax went to our local Church.

I'm fine with our method to tithe currently.

Smileless2012 Sun 22-Jan-23 20:33:08

I know for a fact that the answer is no Fleurpepper, having been the treasurer for our church for the last 2 years. It often depends on the size and demographic of the congregation. We know that our church's 'free will offer' in no way covers the cost of our clergy, and when that's set to increase in 2025 we will struggle to meet the required target.

Fleurpepper Sun 22-Jan-23 20:51:14

Smileless2012

I know for a fact that the answer is no Fleurpepper, having been the treasurer for our church for the last 2 years. It often depends on the size and demographic of the congregation. We know that our church's 'free will offer' in no way covers the cost of our clergy, and when that's set to increase in 2025 we will struggle to meet the required target.

Yes, what our Vicar always said. Very friendly and approchable, despite us not being Church goers. And my best friend who is a Warden and Secretary of her local Church.