Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Out of the mouths of babes ........

(80 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Fri 24-Mar-23 19:33:03

Driving my GD home from primary school, she asked me if I had any clay, and I explained that I did not. I asked her what she wanted to make and she said "A dead body." I did a bit of a double-take and asked her what for. She said it is for school - I have to make one for the Easter Garden.

Is it just me who thinks this is inappropriate and utterly grim? And, as far as I can remember, the tomb was a said to be empty - rather misses the point of the story.

Incidentally the same child is talking with parents about secondary school in the future and she asked whether the options were church schools as she did not want that - she said she had had enough of it all at the village CofE aligned primary school.

Something is going wrong somewhere. No-one has put that idea in her head.

Blondiescot Sun 26-Mar-23 12:06:11

Oreo

Nothing is wrong with that Joseanne and there is no big outcry in this country to change anything. Just the OP and a couple of others on this thread that don’t want any religious themes in schools.

I have no objection to children being taught about different religions in school. What I do object to is religious worship in state schools - which is totally different.

Joseanne Sun 26-Mar-23 10:41:43

^Not Christian-bashing at all - just concerned about children being given true information, as in "Christians believe that Jesus came back to life", rather than "Jesus came back to life.^"
Yes, good point Luckygirl and I guess it depends on the context and on the individual delivering the lesson and the tone. Was it the Art teacher, or the Vicar or the over stretched "do it all" class teacher who might not have had time to preface every comment with "Christians believe"?
My grandfather was a clergyman and in church would always use the pronoun "we believe" because his large congregation came voluntarily. During school visits he didn't envelope the children with the word "we" but used to say, "The scriptures teach that and it would be a good idea to re enact and follow."

Witzend Sun 26-Mar-23 10:35:28

My decidedly non-religious dd and SiL were only too pleased that their 2 elder Gdcs were eligible for the local C of E primary and are very pleased with it - it’s a highly rated and very happy school.
Of course there is a certain emphasis on C of E aspects but that is surely only to be expected. In any case much of what they learn - Bible stories etc. - is - to me, anyway - part of general knowledge.

I don’t know about anybody else, but the fairly mild C of E variety of religion was part of every day school life for me in the 1950s and 1960s - morning assembly with prayers etc. - as it was for dh, and neither of us has ever felt that we were ‘brainwashed’ - once we could think for ourselves we made our own minds up about faith, or lack of it.

It was different for Catholics, I dare say - some of the things I’ve been told by an Irish Catholic friend are enough to make one’s hair stand on end.

Jackiest Sun 26-Mar-23 10:29:33

I rejected religion at the age of 8 and have not seen or heard anything since then that has made me doubt that it was the correct decision.

volver3 Sun 26-Mar-23 10:19:28

If there's one thing that rattles my cage is the complaint of Christian bashing and the plea that it was all foretold.... "Look at me, I'm a martyr and I pity you 💖 "

Luckygirl3 Sun 26-Mar-23 10:16:36

Not Christian-bashing at all - just concerned about children being given true information, as in "Christians believe that Jesus came back to life", rather than "Jesus came back to life."

And also that the state does not support any particular religion in terms of funding schools. I would be equally concerned if the state were funding schools with a particular political leaning.

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Mar-23 09:55:39

I think you are wrong Fleur about being unable to withdraw children from RE in primary schools.
I understood this to be a "right".
I've just done some googling on this and it seems I'm right.
Here's a straightforward piece:

schoolleaders.thekeysupport.com/curriculum-and-learning/curriculum-guidance-all-phases/structuring-curriculum/requests-withdraw-pupil-re/

Oreo Sun 26-Mar-23 09:53:56

I agree Joseanne 👏🏻👏🏻

Joseanne Sun 26-Mar-23 09:52:34

But everything is wrapped in religious themes ....
The palatable stuff like family values, love, forgiveness, justice etc
Then the grim stuff that Luckygirl mentioned like murder, war, fighting.
I always find children quite accepting of this.

nanna8 Sun 26-Mar-23 09:49:17

The usual Christian bashing. Don’t worry, we expect it and it was all predicted long ago. It makes me sad that people miss the wonderful message and hope for all mankind.

Oreo Sun 26-Mar-23 09:43:42

Nothing is wrong with that Joseanne and there is no big outcry in this country to change anything. Just the OP and a couple of others on this thread that don’t want any religious themes in schools.

Joseanne Sun 26-Mar-23 09:36:07

So can a school still heavily promote a Christian ethos .. love your neighbour as yourself without being a church school? Or would that still offend? What would be wrong say with following Christ's values and teachings, (if you get what I mean.)

Oreo Sun 26-Mar-23 09:30:51

Callistemon21

Oreo

They usually have good standards Mollygo and also discipline.

But not always.

That’s why I used the word usually

Mollygo Sat 25-Mar-23 22:31:02

Luckygirl3
They get subsidised by the church.

I already pointed that out in an earlier post at 13.05
Some faith schools receive funding from the church as well as from the state.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Mar-23 22:01:37

Oreo

But not always.

Luckygirl3 Sat 25-Mar-23 21:31:04

Mollygo

The strangest (IMO) aspect of this is that the best high school where DD lives is a church school and the ‘queue’ to get in is amazing. People who don’t attend church, or who chose to send their child to the local state primary rather than the local CofE primary start attending church the year before they fill in the application. Even CEO Christians often make more effort in order to stand more chance of a place.

They get subsidised by the church.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 20:47:30

Mollygo Sat 25-Mar-23 20:43:41

The strangest (IMO) aspect of this is that the best high school where DD lives is a church school and the ‘queue’ to get in is amazing. People who don’t attend church, or who chose to send their child to the local state primary rather than the local CofE primary start attending church the year before they fill in the application. Even CEO Christians often make more effort in order to stand more chance of a place.

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 19:04:02

Please Oreo, stop this nonsense. Where on earth did I say this? What I said is that state funded schools should not be religious, and the Curriculum not linked to religion, especially not one, and even more so, one denomination of one which has so many.

Things are changing, and fast.

And no, I don't.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 18:48:38

So you don’t want this to be a Christian country hey? Well lucky you live in France then.
If this was a big issue here then things would change.
It isn’t.

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 18:35:48

I did post a thread to this effect after the results of the last census.

Numbers of respondents ticking 'Christian' was very low at last census. And I did ask how many of those who ticked 'Christian', many for cultural reasons, rather than religious ones, would still do so if that meant they would have to pay a Church Tax to support the running of their Church/denomination. I do believe numbers would drop like a stone.

As our local Vicar used to say on Christmas service 'so lovely to see you here today- would be nice to see you some other Sundays!'

Luckygirl3 Sat 25-Mar-23 18:29:26

this is still a Christian country

Less than half the respondents in the last census ticked the Christian box, closely followed by no religion.

This alone is a good enough reason to stop state funding for Cof E schools.

Luckygirl3 Sat 25-Mar-23 18:22:41

Smileless2012

Presumably at Christmas the story of the birth of Jesus is told so is makes sense that the story of his death and resurrection is told at Easter, or is the only focus to be Easter eggs and the Easter bunny.

Both Christmas and Easter as festivals predate Christianity. Easter eggs are about new life, which is interpreted in different ways by Christian believers and other people. Some focus on the joy of spring and new life; Christians focus on the resurrection that they believe in. But essentially they have the same message - new life - and both are equally valid. All that happened is that Christianity nicked the festival for their own - and sometimes look down on others who stay true to its original meaning.

Luckygirl3 Sat 25-Mar-23 18:18:18

*Joseph went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus^
I know I should take it seriously but I couldn’t help thinking that I went to Pilates hoping for the body of Jane Fonda.* grin

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 18:02:45

Oreo

Why should you have to drive them there?
Obvious innit?
If you feel so strongly about something then you go the extra mile.Literally.
I’m nowhere near Leicester.
You have to accept this is still a Christian country which is why there are lots of C of E village schools.

How else would have they got there? Angel wings?

It is still a Christian country. although figures show that there is a huge decline in numbers attending Church and with real religious beliefs, rather than 'cultural' Christians. CofE village schools belong to the past, as the vast majortiy attending them are not Christians, not CofE, and of other Christian denominations, other faiths and mostly, none.

Just like it is a total nonsense that CofE should be the only religious people in the Lords.

Education is for all, and religion should have no part in it- unless, as Lucky says, it is to get a better understanding of other Faiths (and the alternatives, Humanism, Atheism- and their own moral framework).