Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

If not Sunday, when?

(71 Posts)
Cabbie21 Sun 24-Mar-24 19:51:27

Picking up from the thread about Sundays and shop hours, and the recent thread about why people no longer go to church, it seems that shopping has replaced church for some people. There is also sport, or park run, on Sundays or spending time with grandparents, the non- resident parent etc.
So is there another time churches could put on a service which would be better attended?
Messy Church after school?
Saturday tea time?

Bridgeit Sun 24-Mar-24 20:04:33

I sadly guess that it is no longer of much importance or relevance to the younger generation.
Other activities seem to be the way that many families spend time together .
That is at least a good thing.

Urmstongran Sun 24-Mar-24 20:07:14

I don’t think it’s the attendance opportunities per se. Without faith there’s no point. Any time of the day on any day of the week.
We are becoming a secular society.

Cabbie21 Sun 24-Mar-24 20:11:51

Well yes. Much has been said on other threads. I was hoping for some specific non- Sunday successful examples, if possible, please.

Marydoll Sun 24-Mar-24 20:13:21

I suppose it depends on your experience.

Catholic Churches have Sunday Vigil masses on a Saturday evening. In my experience, they are much busier than the Sunday ones. It allows families, with working parents to spend time together on a Sunday.
At our church, it is quite usual to see grandparents, parents and children all sitting together. It is becoming busier and busier each week.

Urmstongran Sun 24-Mar-24 20:13:57

Sorry Cabbie I hadn’t read the other thread, which is why I posted as I did.

fancythat Sun 24-Mar-24 20:46:19

I do know of a teenage church service that used to be quite popular that started around 9.30am. Dont know if it is still popular.

Cabbie21 Sun 24-Mar-24 21:34:19

No apology needed, Urmstongran.

Fancythat, is that 9.30am on Sunday? Really?

fancythat Sun 24-Mar-24 21:43:21

Yes. I was surprised it worked as well as it did/does.

I guess it leaves them with the rest of the day to do whatever.

nanna8 Sun 24-Mar-24 21:56:13

Seventh Day Adventists? I think they have Saturdays.

flappergirl Sun 24-Mar-24 21:56:49

I really don't think it has very much to do with people shopping on Sundays. I can't imagine the average household agonising over whether to go to church or the Mall on a Sunday morning. Besides, if they were that religious they would definitely choose to go to church.

The fact is that church attendance has been in decline for decades. I have a very broad spectrum of friends/colleagues of all ages and from all walks of life and not one of them goes to church or ever has as far as I know (apart from weddings and funerals).

Doodle Sun 24-Mar-24 22:06:40

Our church has a Wednesday morning communion service at 10.00 which is very popular with the older generation.

AmberSpyglass Sun 24-Mar-24 22:39:12

I agree that it’s not the timing, it’s the lack of interest/seeing it as a priority

polomint Sun 24-Mar-24 22:52:33

I agree both church and Chapel attendances are falling. 3 chapels have been demolished in my area. Churches are put up for sale and turned into houses. Society seems to have no need for religion nowadays. Morals have fallen, respect for people, traditions, monuments etc have fallen. Such a pity

Esmay Sun 24-Mar-24 22:57:21

I feel miserable and incomplete if I don't go to church .
My church is C of E .
We used to have an evening service , but it has stopped .
We have communion at 8.00 then communion again at 10.30 alternating with a free service often youth led on Sundays .
I was brought up as a Baptist and prefer the more formal communion .
Two of my friends have also changed from the Baptist church to C of E .
Not going to church nor believing in God was unthinkable when I was growing up .
Our church is open for private prayers twice week and has warm space once a week - this attracts many non church goers .
We also have bible and bereavement support groups and messy church .
Today , was Palm Sunday and this week we have a very full calendar of enjoyable events leading up to Easter .
I found our last Vicar pleasant , but not that easy to talk to though more accessible as he lived next door .
Unfortunately , our Vicar has to live on the other side of our small town in a house which is unsuitable for large meetings .

I think that she has very genuine calling and that she is inspirational - a breath of fresh air , approachable and really easy to talk to and confide in .
She has helped me a great deal .
Our congregation is ageing and I notice a lack of middle aged and teenagers .
We have a thriving Sunday School .
I do invite friends to church .
I think that many people have too many obligations and can't make time for church .
All my African / West Indian friends go to the Pentecostal church . It's very popular .
I also have Catholic friends , who attend their church , which is tradtional .
No extra activities are offered to them .
Some are coming to our warm space .

I have to be honest -we seem to have so many different churches and wonder if this a good thing ?
Recently , we are liaising with the free church in the same town .
I think that things will change radically in the future .

nanna8 Mon 25-Mar-24 00:57:08

There is a big revival where I live. Lots of people attend the various churches and some of them are packed to the doors. So many different varieties, I’ve lost count. More young ones than there used to be when I was their age ( 30-50 plus their kids)

Grams2five Mon 25-Mar-24 03:54:43

Marydoll

I suppose it depends on your experience.

Catholic Churches have Sunday Vigil masses on a Saturday evening. In my experience, they are much busier than the Sunday ones. It allows families, with working parents to spend time together on a Sunday.
At our church, it is quite usual to see grandparents, parents and children all sitting together. It is becoming busier and busier each week.

Yes. Our church holds a “youth”
Service once a month on Sunday evening with more contemporary music and readings done by the teens of the church, and it’s well attended as well.

Curtaintwitcher Mon 25-Mar-24 06:20:05

Most people have stopped attending Sunday services, but that doesn't mean they have lost their interest in religion. Men like the Archbishop of Canterbury give the church a bad name, but we can all keep our faith without needing to be lectured to by the likes of him.

Cabbie21 Mon 25-Mar-24 07:24:19

My church which is in a small village has a monthly informal family service on Sunday morning but only one family with children attends. The rest are the usual congregation but a lot stay away as it is too informal, with piano and songs not hymns.
My view is that if it isn’t successful in attracting families, we should go back to more adult worship and find another time for family worship- but when?

mumofmadboys Mon 25-Mar-24 07:28:40

I like Justin Welby. I think he is a thoughtful, intelligent and prayerful man who is prepared to comment on political issues when he disagrees.

Joseann Mon 25-Mar-24 07:44:39

Friday evening, every month say. Its the end of the working week and school week. People are busy on a Saturday and Sunday. I know it involves organisation, but have food available too afterwards. Sunday services would still exist for those who are very committed.

Cabbie21 Mon 25-Mar-24 07:53:45

Thanks Joseann. What form does your Friday event take?

Joseann Mon 25-Mar-24 08:16:29

Cabbie21 It was back in the day (!) when we ran a school. The Chaplain did a religious service for all, (children, parents, grandparents, teachers).
Then also biblical stories, quizzes and games. Sometimes just a time for reflection and sharing. Of course, music too. It was simple, chunks of baguette and cheese or maybe a chilli or pasties. It was easy then to get people to walk round and chat, which was the intention. It was fun, if a bit quirky, and everyone enjoyed it. We even had one service to bless the pets, and to consider the important role of animals in the home and in the workplace. Everyone, including all creatures, came to that!!
It has to be relevant. At that time ours was a seaside/countryside community.

Jaxjacky Mon 25-Mar-24 09:13:20

Our local C of E has a Wednesday communion at 10am, Home Churches, regular meetings in peoples homes for fellowship, bible reading and prayer, an afternoon tea for seniors fortnightly, a youth club and a playgroup.
The door of the church office is always open for a cuppa, warm up and a chat.
I’m not a church goer, but know these events are well attended and appreciated in our village.

Urmstongran Mon 25-Mar-24 09:40:42

Just weeks ago, the Church said it would be hiring a “deconstructing whiteness” officer as part of a new 11-person “racial justice unit” being set up by the Diocese of Birmingham.

Senior clergy have also faced criticism for calling for the church’s £100 million slavery reparations fund to be increased to £1 billion.

I think this illustrates the degree of disillusionment with religion these days. People read of these things as likely think ‘why bother’.