Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

What a Shame

(66 Posts)
glammanana Mon 15-Feb-21 09:41:54

This morning after being up early and getting all bits and bobs done I sat down to read the morning paper when the phone went about 9am,after not having been out at all and not spoken to anyone for a few days I was glad of the chance to chat to someone,great says I to myself a bit of chatter with a pal I hope !!
Wrong they are sending Police with a warrant to arrest me for none payment of Taxes ?? then just now they have rung back again and switching off my broadband & services as well as what makes it worse is that it was the standard recording and I still did not get to speak to anyone what a shame.

Chestnut Mon 15-Feb-21 12:12:24

I hang up as soon as I hear the 'call centre voice' or a recording, so I never hear what it's about. Then I blacklist the number. End of story.......until the next time.

JaneJudge Mon 15-Feb-21 12:18:54

I phoned a wrong number last week instead of my Mum and the woman said, who is this? and I said 'it's Jane, but you don't know me as I've called the wrong number' she says 'are you ok Jane?' and I said, yes I'm fine, how are you? and the woman told me all about the weather grin

I hope you don't have too much bother with the fake police glammanana

Juliet27 Mon 15-Feb-21 12:24:32

That was nice JaneJudge. We're all getting a bit desperate for chats.

3nanny6 Mon 15-Feb-21 12:34:56

I am fed up with the recorded Amazon message telling me that my Amazon account has been hacked into so I have to pay outstanding money.

I know many people use Amazon but I have not got a Bloody Amazon account and this recording gets on my wick.

kittylester Mon 15-Feb-21 12:43:03

Glamma, will the TV and Papers be there too - I need some excitement in my day!! I'll send you cupcakewink

lemsip Mon 15-Feb-21 13:29:24

hang up as soon as you realise it's a recording.. warned about these frequently.

GillT57 Mon 15-Feb-21 13:35:07

Three Amazon calls so far this morning.

Parsley3 Mon 15-Feb-21 13:52:57

I unplugged my landline phone because of these calls. Rarely get anything like this on my mobile. However, I did get an email this morning telling me that a package will be delivered if I click on the link and pay 1.99 pound (sic). I wonder what can it be??

glammanana Mon 15-Feb-21 14:42:08

kittylester No TV or newspaper interview I'm afraid as not allowed to go to hairdressers blush

Callistemon Mon 15-Feb-21 14:57:12

Is there a hacksaw in the cupcake kittylester?

We'll soon have you freed, glammanana, have no fears, the GN posse at the rescue!

merlotgran Mon 15-Feb-21 15:00:47

I think McAfee have now given up sending me e-mails telling me my pc is unprotected because I haven't renewed the subscription.

It's due at the beginning of December!

Happyme Mon 15-Feb-21 16:48:36

? Free the GN one

Esspee Mon 15-Feb-21 16:56:14

Goodness gracious don’t hang up! I always enjoy allowing these calls to continue as long as possible. Slows them down.

kittylester Mon 15-Feb-21 17:11:33

Thank you for this thread glamma - a silly thread like in the olden days.

Mildmanneredgran Thu 18-Feb-21 13:13:14

Oh well, I haven't paid DPD that money to have my parcel redelivered. Now I'll never know what it was .....

GillT57 Thu 18-Feb-21 16:07:10

7.30 this morning I was woken up by someone purporting to be from Microsoft.

Sonatina7 Sat 20-Mar-21 11:17:29

Why is it always £600 stolen from your bank account?? They do seem to love this amount. Now I have said this it will probably go up to £1000, after all inflation must be factored in! I often wonder if they are reading our emails? Some seem quite tailored to your activity.

Sonatina7 Sat 20-Mar-21 11:21:23

Also,said my dpd parcel was due to be delivered delivered by someone called Dincer?? Beware odd names. Apologies, of course, to any Dincers out there!

Elegran Sat 20-Mar-21 11:24:55

And why are so many of those recorded calls done by a woman who sounds like an American Fenella Fielding? As soon as I hear her husky sexy voice I know to press "block this call" and hang up, but she returns with a different scam from a different number. She must be making a fortune from these voice-over tapes.

Yearsold Sat 20-Mar-21 12:07:50

I think what happens is that ‘Amazon’, or whoever the scammers are, seem to take over people’s phone numbers. Goodness knows how they do this, but this is why blocking numbers doesn’t work. I only know this because it happened to us. One morning I received a number of calls from worried people who I had supposedly just phoned and they were calling back, having missed my ‘call’. They were from all over the country, and I had several conversations with people assuring them that I hadn’t just phoned them. I soon realised what must have happened and that our number had been ‘spoofed’. We literally had a dozen calls within an hour. It was quite scary and I had no idea how to stop it. Eventually I had to leave the phone off the hook and the scammers must’ve moved on to using a different number, because an hour or so later it just stopped. Fortunately the calls were not charged to us but it was very concerning. I called the phone company but they said there was nothing they could do! It’s awful what tricks scammers use.

GoldenLady Fri 07-May-21 14:44:06

They do the same thing with email, although there it's called "hacking." They somehow manage to get hold of your list of contacts, and send everyone a note, supposedly from you. It usually is not asking for money, at least not at first. It generally asks you to click on a link they give you. Never click on a link like that; it opens the door to all sorts of trouble.

I also disconnected my land line because of all the annoying calls. I get far fewer of them on my cell phone. I don't miss the land line at all, plus it saves me paying the bill.

It's very hard for the police or anyone to trace the origin of the scam calls. I think most of them are coming from foreign countries. And they keep changing their number. I very rarely get more than one call from the same number. These characters are very clever.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 30-May-21 12:06:53

I believe there are some countries where you can be arrested if you owe a substantial amount of taxes.

Obviously, the scammer thinks saying so will scare people into reacting.

I don't think any of these scammers take the time to find out what really applies in the country they are currently "attacking".

Danish is only spoken by relatively few people, so here we usually recognise scammers by the fact that they have used Google translate with predictable results.

nanna8 Sun 30-May-21 12:09:20

Last time I asked if their mother knew they were doing this and they hung up .

allsortsofbags Sun 30-May-21 12:39:44

How sad you didn't get to talk to a real person :-(

However, it was something a bit different to start your day grin

Glad you knew what it was so didn't get upset by these intimidating calls.

I have said this before on GN but I once had an intimidating call about Tax Scam while OH was in another room on Skype call with a lovely Tax Inspector :-) So I asked the scammer chap to hang on while I got OH. I wrote a note for OH to read so he could tell the Tax Lady.

It was beautiful, I put the phone next to the computer mic and she stated asking the scammer questions :-) :-) Needless to say he ended the call very quickly :-)

MerylStreep Sun 30-May-21 12:40:46

If you’ve got time watch this to see that there are people scamming the scammers.
I hope the link works because this guy is brilliant.
youtu.be/eq8cKjdNpCo