Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

What a Shame

(66 Posts)
glammanana Mon 15-Feb-21 09:41:54

This morning after being up early and getting all bits and bobs done I sat down to read the morning paper when the phone went about 9am,after not having been out at all and not spoken to anyone for a few days I was glad of the chance to chat to someone,great says I to myself a bit of chatter with a pal I hope !!
Wrong they are sending Police with a warrant to arrest me for none payment of Taxes ?? then just now they have rung back again and switching off my broadband & services as well as what makes it worse is that it was the standard recording and I still did not get to speak to anyone what a shame.

Nannashirlz Mon 14-Jun-21 11:31:38

I hope you reported it to stop these ppl. They can ring my landline all day long because I don’t have a phone plug in lol

Daisymae Mon 14-Jun-21 11:35:44

Back in the day, my mum was quite happy to talk to double glazing salespeople. One guy came for the afternoon but my mum's ace card was that she needed to discuss with her son before she parted with any cash. She quite liked the company ?

biglouis Mon 21-Jun-21 03:01:08

Have you had the one that says"Hello, this is your bank!" then goes on to tell you that someone spend £800 on Amazon and transferred £1400 abroad from your account.

I think they could at least tell me which of my banks they are calling from!

henetha Mon 21-Jun-21 11:03:34

I've been threatened with arrest so many times now that I'm almost becoming used to them. What a pain they are.

lemsip Fri 25-Jun-21 06:24:49

This is worth a watch. it shows arrest of a scammer and the device he uses which enables him to call numerous random numbers at the same time. also the arrest of a woman scammer and all her 'scripts' she uses to con people.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000thg3/click-taking-on-the-covid-scammers

Grannycool52 Fri 25-Jun-21 09:53:21

I received an email supposedly from our vicar, saying he was in Thailand & had had his wallet stolen, and could we please send him some money as a loan to help him out.
He was rather surprised when I phoned him at the rectory to tell him this!

ElderlyPerson Fri 25-Jun-21 12:10:23

I have had scam calls and they have asked me to press 1.

I never do, as I think that they can then do something such that calls to a premium line are then billed to the telephone bill.

I always leave it five minutes then dial the freephone number of a well-known business that always answers with a recorded message, just to make sure that dialing anywhere does not get routed to the scammers.

Some years ago, suddenly one day in my email account I got messages from various genuine mailing lists stating that my email had been blocked for spamming. It appears that some marketer had put my email address as the sender of his or her mailings.

I used to often get emails from Canada advising me that I could get my prescription filled much cheaper in Canada than in the USA.

I did not take up the offer, as my prescriptions are free courtesy of the NHS.

H1954 Fri 25-Jun-21 12:21:38

We've had countless scam calls on our landline.........the broadband STILL works...........we haven't been arrested yet either ?.

We have call blocking on our hand set but after blocking so many calls the facility is full ?‍♀️. Consequently, the calls still come through now but I've noticed, if we don't speak they hang up; seemingly the recorded messages are voice activated. Any that aren't voice activated and are actually a human being or should I say a scumbag, get either very short shrift or I put on my silly person act and keep asking them to repeat themselves or steer the conversation totally off track, they soon get fed up and my OH finds it most entertaining.

KATTYMOOOR Wed 25-Aug-21 19:18:37

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 25-Aug-21 19:22:46

I’ve had the police one many times. I always say ‘ yes please’, can I dress up too!’. They never turn up?

TwiceAsNice Wed 25-Aug-21 23:26:47

They are so tedious. I seem to be getting more texts lately as in we couldn’t deliver your parcel please press this link to rearrange. DO NOT press the link !

glammanana Thu 26-Aug-21 09:31:16

Just a quick update, I've not had any scam calls for quite a few weeks so maybe they have given up with me and decided I am not worth bothering with.
Keep vigilant and don't press any links.

henetha Thu 26-Aug-21 10:31:32

Yes, mine have eased off now too, thank goodness.

MariaP1984 Tue 12-Jul-22 23:37:34

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mokryna Tue 12-Jul-22 23:55:49

Reported