Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

My best scammer wind up to date.

(133 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 07-Apr-21 12:45:38

Not the longest I've ever kept one on the phone but I definitely left this one confused and, fingers crossed, heading for Google.

17 mins on the phone with a cold caller/scammer explaining that I don't need life insurance because I'm immortal. She asked how old I was. I said about 4000 in Earth years. She started to ask me how, what I did etc. I told her I was a Watcher. She asked if it was a religion. I said no it is my job to watch the development of the human race. She wanted to know how many of us there were in the UK. I said around 110. She asked if there were watchers in every country. I said of course. We have to watch all over the world if we are to see how the human race develops. She asked if we met up. I told her that we didn't meet up. So she asked if we communicated and shared data. I said of course we did that in order to file our reports. She wanted to know what I looked like if I was 4000 years old. I said that I looked like a normal middle aged woman. I couldn't be in my normal form or I wouldn't fit in. She said she thought that maybe....yes only maybe lol...I was having her on and if I was real where did I come from. I told her from a planet in orbit around the star Sirius. If she googles it she'll find loads of information about ancient aliens from that star and watchers so she still won't know for sure ???????

GoldenLady Mon 09-Aug-21 21:39:10

Even though I find the genuine scam artists much more annoying, I have no patience with anyone bothering me with uninvited sales pitches on the phone. I disconnected my land line for that reason; it was ringing off the hook all day long, and nearly always was a call from somebody trying to sell me something (honest or not). I only use my cell phone now, and don't miss the other one at all.

My reasoning is, why should I be paying a monthly phone bill to allow other people to annoy me? Nearly all my personal communications with family and friends takes place via text or email. People don't just call to chat any more.

biglouis Thu 20-Jan-22 03:45:10

Its rare for a scammer to get through as I have a call blocker which only allows people on my trusted list (friends and family) to get through. Occasionally I unblock it when I am expecting a delivery and suspect the courier might need directions. If I get a time waster call I just tell them I am the cleaner or housekeeper and the only one here. No disrespect to cleaners but they are not in a position to make decisions or buy stuff. I find the caller quickly loses interest.

glammanana Fri 21-Jan-22 11:52:16

This morning I have had a phone call from David to advise me that my BT landline would be disconnected in 24hrs,I told him he had the wrong number and he told me off for lying to him I even told him I was busy and he wanted to know what I was doing he just would not give in arguing with me until I cut him off.I'll be ready for him next time thats for sure after reading some of your great replies.

Floradora9 Fri 21-Jan-22 15:45:40

BT call gardian will screen all your incoming calls . We get no spam calls at all now .

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 21-Jan-22 15:59:52

There’s loads of these on YouTube. One person kept the scam going for hours. We didn’t watch it that long, but could see it was on a timer.

I always have a laugh with them if I can. Don’t get many though, and when we do they’re often autonomated.

biglouis Mon 07-Mar-22 01:40:56

You can have a lot of fun with these people as they are never very intelligent.

In the same category are obscene callers. Many years ago I was advertising a bed for sale in a local paper and I got a tyro obscene caller telling me he has a p***k ten inches long.

I told him that I was from another planet, knew exactly where he was speaking from, and began to describe in detail what I was going to come along and do to him.

He hung up.

An hour later he rang back and apologised.

biglouis Wed 09-Mar-22 00:13:57

= apologised